Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver72 View Post
This whole conversation is SO bizarre to me. The year is 2020! Why would you buy a mobile trailer without a means to capture your waste. Use a Blue Boy???? Really? Tow a trailer on public roads with rotted tires, and brakes that couldn’t possibly function properly. This is irresponsible to everyone else on the road.
I don’t believe it it is helpful to the community to encourage this activity to someone who is new. Tell them the truth!

The truth is...

Some of use love the QUALITY of vintage, even with some sacrifice.

Some of us simply can't afford $100,000 for a new trailer, so we get creative, work hard, and enjoy what we've got.

Some of us love to rescue forlorn trailers from backyards, barns, and fields. It gives us a sense of satisfaction that can't be achieved, for some of us, by simply towing a new trailer off a dealer's lot. So we assess the rescue situation, gather our tools, friends, and knowledge, and SAFELY bring these relics home. Then we bring them back to life.

Sometimes, we even add gray water tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Getting-Bambi-on-trailer_web.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	369894  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Advice

You have gotten a lot of good advice here.
I have owned 4 vintage AS, none of which came with gray water tanks (1964, 1955, 1967 and another 55).
If you only camp at RV parks or campgrounds with FULL hookups, you do not need to make any changes to your plumbing since the gray water will flow directly out the sewer hose into the sewer connection.
If you camp in ELECTRIC or WATER and ELECTRIC ONLY sites, you will need a means to capture your gray water. The simplest is a portable "blue boy" tank.
While not as elegant as a built-in tank, they are simple and cheap.
If you plan to boondock a lot and tire of the blue boy routine, you can install a variety of integral tanks.
Purists will insist on thin tanks that sit inside the belly pan and are therefore invisible. I went that route on my first 55 but found that they were difficult to fill and drain completely which further limited their already small usable capacity,
On my current trailer I have a gray tank that has a sloping bottom and extends several inches below the belly pan. It works great, holds 30 gallons and is only visible if you crouch down and look under the trailer.
Best of luck in your renovation.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Pa Bambi II
I agree with you and you are correct in YOUR assessment of “the truth”. As has been shown on a daily basis over the last 3 1/2 years, “the truth” is relative.
My version of “the truth” was aimed at the new Airstreamer who posed the question (and other newbies thinking about doing the same thing). These are not people who have been down this road before and know what they are getting into.... only to have their dreams dashed, looking out the back window at the relic lying in waste with 2 feet of grass grown up around it!
Certainly, there are many with the knowledge, desire, experience, skills, fortitude, and MONEY to pull off a restoration of a vintage AS.
Please don’t pretend that it is for everyone!
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
Jochen & Christina

1965 24' Tradewind
Longmont , Colorado
Well, it's a heck of a lot better than tent camping, and I like the vintage trailers better. And don't worry, we have fine tires and working brakes.

You're right though, I will have to find a way to make it work. Have a great day!

Quote:
This whole conversation is SO bizarre to me. The year is 2020! Why would you buy a mobile trailer without a means to capture your waste. Use a Blue Boy???? Really? Tow a trailer on public roads with rotted tires, and brakes that couldn’t possibly function properly. This is irresponsible to everyone else on the road.
I don’t believe it it is helpful to the community to encourage this activity to someone who is new. Tell them the truth!
2019 Toyota Tundra
JochenML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenML View Post
Well, it's a heck of a lot better than tent camping, and I like the vintage trailers better. And don't worry, we have fine tires and working brakes.

You're right though, I will have to find a way to make it work. Have a great day!
As long as you’ve thought everything through and are prepared. Remember that slow and easy wins the race. I sent you a PM, so if you have any questions or concerns, let me know. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Gulliver what the heck are YOU talking about. There's tons of safe, roadworthy vintage trailers and cars on the road.

JochenML you are on the right track, asking great questions and getting sound advice.

Look up your local WBCCI group and connect with them and their vintage owners. WBCCI has a intra- club group called "VAC" Vintage Airstream Club". Colorado (DenCo Unit) has lots of vintage owners. Go visit some Rally's and talk to vintage owners. You don't have to join to visit they are very welcoming.

Check out "The VAP" on YouTube as they rebuilt a vintage trailer. Also look up "Tin Can Tourists" a group of vintage all brands trailers enthusiasts.

Vintage Trailer Supply is your source for many parts. Slender grey tanks that fit under belly pans between axel ribs. Owner Steve spends an inordinate amount of time with us newbies explaining things.

Luke Bernanders shop in Ft Collins is a great resource for Airstream repair and vintage knowledge.

Read AirForums incessantly, all the answers are here you just have to find them. Focus on the vintage rebuild threads and subscribe to those. Start your own thread, add your pictures (we love pictures) and talk to yourself and people will join in. You can still post specific questions in the topic forums. Subscribing to AirForums for an annual 20$ fee gets rid of the annoying advertisements and gives you endless photo storage. Putting AirForums app in your phone gives you no adds at all and easier workability with minor loss of in depth function.

Take photos of everything from every angle in case you take it apart.

Create yourself a word document for Airstream advice. When you see a spot on tip or fix for your situation you want to be able to find it when you need it. If you save it from the forum add whose thread it was in and what date so you can go back to the correct thread if needed.

Make it roadworthy and safe first, systems next, aesthetics next and polishing last. Keep it campable at all times as it's a fantastic silver tent shell.

You have on the the most popular models of vintage.

Camp On!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Gulliver what the heck are YOU talking about. There's tons of safe, roadworthy vintage trailers and cars on the road.

JochenML you are on the right track, asking great questions and getting sound advice.

Look up your local WBCCI group and connect with them and their vintage owners. WBCCI has a intra- club group called "VAC" Vintage Airstream Club". Colorado (DenCo Unit) has lots of vintage owners. Go visit some Rally's and talk to vintage owners. You don't have to join to visit they are very welcoming.

Check out "The VAP" on YouTube as they rebuilt a vintage trailer. Also look up "Tin Can Tourists" a group of vintage all brands trailers enthusiasts.

Vintage Trailer Supply is your source for many parts. Slender grey tanks that fit under belly pans between axel ribs. Owner Steve spends an inordinate amount of time with us newbies explaining things.

Luke Bernanders shop in Ft Collins is a great resource for Airstream repair and vintage knowledge.

Read AirForums incessantly, all the answers are here you just have to find them. Focus on the vintage rebuild threads and subscribe to those. Start your own thread, add your pictures (we love pictures) and talk to yourself and people will join in. You can still post specific questions in the topic forums. Subscribing to AirForums for an annual 20$ fee gets rid of the annoying advertisements and gives you endless photo storage. Putting AirForums app in your phone gives you no adds at all and easier workability with minor loss of in depth function.

Take photos of everything from every angle in case you take it apart.

Create yourself a word document for Airstream advice. When you see a spot on tip or fix for your situation you want to be able to find it when you need it. If you save it from the forum add whose thread it was in and what date so you can go back to the correct thread if needed.

Make it roadworthy and safe first, systems next, aesthetics next and polishing last. Keep it campable at all times as it's a fantastic silver tent shell.

You have on the the most popular models of vintage.

Camp On!
Hi

Yes indeed.

Anybody who is going to use a vintage car / truck / trailer / MH is taking on a project. That is *very* obvious the first time you get near the vehicle. A project is very different than a simple purchase. Projects involve research, planning, and a lot of work.

While this year will be a bit different, most years we have about 13 weekends here in Carlisle where a whole bunch of folks show up and demonstrate that vintage vehicles can be run safely. They have been doing it for decades. It most certainly does *not* result in carnage on the local roads ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , South Dakota
sewer hose

To use the blue boy you need a sewer hose. Does 1965 have one of those rare sewer hose connections to the trailer?
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
The owners manual for our '66 Caravel indicates that before setting up at a campsite I should figure out where the holding tank outlet is going to be and dig a hole so that I could dump directly into it. It has a reminder to fill the hole when we leave and maybe throw a bit of lime powder. While camping at a nearby county lake I showed the manual to a ranger and suggested that my trailer was "grandfathered" in the tank dumping department. He disagreed...

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes commonly referred to as cat holes. Now only allowed for real cats. Good try though.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #31
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
Hi I purchased a vintage trailer 6 yrs ago and had to drive it 300 miles after viewing it for the first time. I knew i'd have to repack and check the bearings, tires, lights and hitch, and didn't worry to much about brakes. I would purchase an infrared thermometer for cheap and check the wheels and bearings for heat occasionally, on the way home. Take it slow and easy until you know the whole story about what you got yourself into. Everything will work out fine, as it did for me.
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
My issue was space when I restored my '61 22' Spaceliner so I opted for the exterior drain and a portable grey tank. So far I am pretty happy with the choice. We use camping soap and very little of it. So it's just mostly water from rinsing stuff, harmless if I decide to dump it where it won't bother anyone. If I'm at a campground with hookups I run a drainline to the poop hole cause I don't have a black tank either and we don't poop in the trailer.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thumbs up Go for it JochenMl

As the proud owner of a self restored '63 Globetrotter (with a blueboy) , '73 Compact II, a '66 Shasta , and a '70 Olds flat top wagon. I say go for it with your project. I live by the motto " If you think you can you will , If you think you can't you won't". Lots of great help and advice on this forum. Don't be discouraged by the Gullivers of the world . Some are destined to own a 2015.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
No one has really discussed blue tank size. Our previous Airstream, a 1975 model, had a ten gallon gray tank, which filled quickly. We bought an 11 gallon blue tank. With a loaded weight of less than 90 lbs, I could lift it into the back of the tow vehicle and drain it at the dump station. It also fit perfectly in the trailer bathtub while travelling.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Vista , California
Portable Grey Water Tank

I use an 11 gallon "Tot N Store" (grey colored) portable tank for my 1969 18' Caravel when there is no sewer connection. It fits nicely under the black / grey water discharge connection. I connect a four inch long garden hose to the cap and let it drop into the tank opening. I usually have to empty it once a day after all the daily dishes and hand washing. I probably would have purchased a 15 gallon tank if I had to do it over again but that is getting very heavy to hand pull to the dump station; an almost full 11 gallon tank will weigh 90 plus pounds. The tank with the connector for your TV hitch ball would be a nice feature.
Vista Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #36

1954 18' Wanderer
Equality , Alabama
Ditto��
Therese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The " blue boy" has a wire adapter to allow you to pull it SLOWLY behind your TV hooked onto the ball. I carry a spare ball and shank when I intend to use the blue boy.
The portable tank can then be dumped at the dump station. A bit messy but possible
Get a sewer cap with a garden hose fitting to drain through a short length into the blue boy rather than using the sewer hose.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #38
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
The Rhino portable tanks are rated a lot higher than the Thetford tanks. Might be something to look into.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
It’s 2020

Quote:
Gulliver, you are bizarre. What car do you drive? Does it have auto pilot? Why not? It’s 2020. If someone wanted to own a 1946 Porsche or a 1957 corvette, would also consider that “bizarre” as it does not have power steering? FYI, your 2015 AS, is missing many features that a 2020 model has, you better upgrade fast so your relic doesn’t become “bizarre”.
Or just stop commenting with “bizarre” reactions.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
All great discussions, but one thing I realized in removing the interior parts of my Caravel getting it ready for a shell off done in an experienced shop, is that the grey water side of the equation in these years is pretty "grey". Short of pulling my belly pan, it just isn't clear where the water was routed. A look behind the cabinets and under the belly skin, might be just the best messy job you might undertake. When I start on my "Sparestream" '67 Safari, it will be the first task. I ended up having a grey water tank placed just aft of the axle when the shell off frame replacement was done, but to get one that far apart and back together again isn't for everyone.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags