Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
We had a total blockage this winter due to a poorly installed new black tank valve bracket at the Mothership that wouldn't allow the valve to open more than half way. The RV dealership talked me into using "RV Digest-It", a bacteria based treatment. Following directions, I poured a whole bottle into the tank and waited overnight for the wee beasties to do their work. Everything was totally liquified and flowed out easily through the constricted opening the next day. Directions say not to rinse the tank after dumping in order to leave some of the bacteria colony. Then add only 2 ounces Digest-it per dump. They claim that any brand of tp can be used. I'm totally confident in this product.

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
We just spent 2 weeks at a gathering. During this time, the organization brought in a septic company to suck the black tanks. However, I noticed that they didn't rinse tanks, just sucked them. As a result, our tank was never fully emptied and now I think I have the dreaded mound in the tank.

Any advice on how to deal with this is appreciated.

Hi, simple; Just use more water and less paper and you won't have this problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:03 AM   #23
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Loving the macerator in the FC26...
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Loving the macerator in the FC26...
What am I missing here? Don't you have a black tank and the macerator takes suction on that tank? If so, would seem a TP mound is still possible in the tank...
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
What am I missing here? Don't you have a black tank and the macerator takes suction on that tank? If so, would seem a TP mound is still possible in the tank...
Larry
The macerator in the FC26 is built into the toilet, not between the tank and the dump outlet, so it grinds up solids before they ever reach the tank.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wow! Thanks, you learn something new every day! Good design. Why not more of those? Cost, reliability, power use?

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The macerator in the FC26 is built into the toilet, not between the tank and the dump outlet, so it grinds up solids before they ever reach the tank.

Kind of like pooping into a Vitamix? Sorry, couldn’t resist.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Lots of RVers, not just Airstreamers, have learned not to throw any TP down the toilet. Put it in a trash can and take it out.

Lynn
Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #29
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I can not be the only one who finds the idea of NOT putting TP in your black tank while enjoying your Airstream to be really bizarre?
The solution to this non problem is oft repeated by people in the know and yet it’s still a problem?
ROBERTSUNRUS among others has spelled it out.
I’m just scratching my head over this every time it comes up...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Wow! Thanks, you learn something new every day! Good design. Why not more of those? Cost, reliability, power use?

Larry
IMHO the biggest downside is water use. The macerator toilet uses WAY more water than a gravity toilet.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
IMHO the biggest downside is water use. The macerator toilet uses WAY more water than a gravity toilet.

Agree...water is the key! Water breaks down toilet paper.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Los Gatos , California
One method for cleaning the bottom of your Black tank is to buy a $2 box of “Rock Salt” ( ice cream salt) and dump it in the tank with 5 gallons of water and go on a trip. The abrasion factor should remember any deposits on the tank floor
Silver Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check with local SOB store. There is probably an RV waste tank cleaning service around. They use a water jet tool to spray the tank innards clean. About $200.

Then, know there are ways to help this never happen again.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Look for a dump station with a rinse hose long enough to reach into your toilet.

Circle the hose a little, water running, which should loosen anything lumped up, then dump your tanks and flush thoroughly.

Maggie
Maggie. I'm sorry to hear you would consider or recommend others do this with communal resources. If you must, please use your own hose down your own toilet.

- the person after you
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Zep View Post
One method for cleaning the bottom of your Black tank is to buy a $2 box of “Rock Salt” ( ice cream salt) and dump it in the tank with 5 gallons of water and go on a trip. The abrasion factor should remember any deposits on the tank floor
Rock salt, aka sodium chloride, makes for a corrosive concoction. I would personally avoid this as a strategy as it might have a chance to pre-maturely corrode and wear metals in the black tank system. There should be minimal metals down there that can corrode, yet still a possibility.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Check with local SOB store. There is probably an RV waste tank cleaning service around. They use a water jet tool to spray the tank innards clean. About $200.

Then, know there are ways to help this never happen again.
I hadn't thought about that. I have a pressure sprayer. All I need is a right angle adaptor for the end and Voila! saved $200!
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I hadn't thought about that. I have a pressure sprayer. All I need is a right angle adaptor for the end and Voila! saved $200!

Not including the cleanup when the dirty water shoots out of your toilet and all over your Airstream!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Maggie. I'm sorry to hear you would consider or recommend others do this with communal resources. If you must, please use your own hose down your own toilet.

- the person after you
At this same gathering, I was close enough to the RV dumpstation that I could observe those who had honeywagons as they brought them over to dump them. The organizers had attached a short hose to the nearby water spigot so people could rinse their wagons. I watched person after person detach the hose and use it to drain their wagon because they couldn't lift the wagon enough to drain it, then reattach the hose to the spigot. (I'm assuming grey water, but who knows. I suppose it could have been macerated black.)

On the last day, I saw a woman detach the hose, then fill her drinking bottle. I ran out to get her attention and told her what I had observed all week long. Apparently, she had been filling her drinking bottle this way all week. The park did not have a "non-potable" sign on the water and I think people thought is was OK for drinking, not realizing that the RV dump was right there (many were tent campers and may not have been aware of what an RV dumpstation is). I thought she was going to puke on the spot.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Mountain of TP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
A practice that will prevent toilet paper clogs is to not put toilet paper in the black tank to start with.

Lack of paper in there keeps everything moving smoothly. [emoji4]

Maggie

Our first time guests on our sailboat think it very odd, but I have signs on each head (toilet) that state:
“Put nothing in the loo till it’s been thru you”.
Used paper goes in a dedicated can for disposal.

As the Captain and ‘Head Mechanic’ I know the pain of a clogged marine head. Our gravity toilet in the Airstream is simple and trouble free, but minimizing paper in the black tank is a really good practice. Sloshing water is the best black tank management. Never run dry. Soapy water from cleaning the coffee french press helps break down solids. Ice is a waste, as it would quickly melt. 8 years, 85000 miles and never an issue.

Safe Travels (and elimination[emoji23])
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
This could lead to a Cousin Eddy moment....
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote