Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
Missing Black Water Tank

I'm possiably interested in a '72 Safari. It's 23' long. The thing is, the present owner says he removed the black water tank. He told me he installed a new commode and simply uses the camp site's sewer system and a blue boy(I think that's what they're called). I don't like this - what would be involved in putting things back. I feel I might stuggle replacing the tank because I didn't take it out. I actually haven't seen the trailer yet and can't for a couple weeks, just wondering if this could be a deal breaker. He wants $8,000.
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by a gossett View Post
I'm possiably interested in a '72 Safari. It's 23' long. The thing is, the present owner says he removed the black water tank. He told me he installed a new commode and simply uses the camp site's sewer system and a blue boy(I think that's what they're called). I don't like this - what would be involved in putting things back. I feel I might stuggle replacing the tank because I didn't take it out. I actually haven't seen the trailer yet and can't for a couple weeks, just wondering if this could be a deal breaker. He wants $8,000.
That black tank is available.

Is this coach a single or tandem axle? They made both that year.

How about the rest of the PM that should have been done?

Window and door gaskets, sewer vent pipe cover gaskets (that last 2 to 3 years), appliance condition, original water heater, body damage, and the condition of the axles, tires, windows, rock guard etc.

That price is on the high side, "IF" everything was immaculate.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
IMO, the seller's asking price is too high for a trailer that has been modified to that extent. I would keep looking. The thing is, w/o a black tank, you are pretty limited to full hook-up RV parks. Messing with a blue tote for black water is not something I want to do on a regular basis. We have done it in a pinch - but if that was the "norm", I'd find myself not wanting to camp much.

But if you can work on the price and decide it's "the one" for you, you can add a black tank back into it. You will need to drop the belly pan and remove the toilet. If it was replaced with a residential toilet you will need to get an RV one. The tank itself can be purchased new or custom made. Then it's just a matter of putting it back together. We added both black and gray tanks to our '56 which didn't have any. We did a full restoration including taking the floor out - but I don't think you'd have to go to that extent unless the floor is rotten in the bathroom around the toilet.

Overall, it would be a pretty big "first" project for a new trailer owner. If you are a hands on project kinda person, it wouldn't be too bad. But again, I feel the asking price is too high for a trailer needing this sort of project unless EVERYTHING else is 110% perfect. Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Just checked my manual. The black tank in a ‘72 of that size rests on the floor with the toilet secured to the tank. Not too bad of a job. You’re probably looking replacing the valve and collector as well.
No gray water tanks in that year either, so you still have to deal with the blue boy.
The deal breaker is the 2-3 grand over the average price.
If you’re not comfortable doing the repairs I would suggest that you should keep looking. Took 3 years to find our current trailer but it was worth the wait.
Good luck,

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote