Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Francisco , Indiana
I decided to try using coconut oil for this job. Googled it to see where to purchase. Only thing I found was small amounts in cream form.
Where did you find liquid coconut oil please?
P.S. I didn't know there was so many uses for coconut oil, being an old country boy and kinda naive to boot, I was pretty taken a back by the many varied uses. Oh well always a day late and a dollar short.
Hickory1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertdEagle View Post
One thing that I've used in the past is this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LintEater-J...-White/4321920

It's a dryer lint cleaning kit - which is just a synthetic brush on a couple of screwed together rods. It's the right size to fit into the drain pipe and as long as you can reach the gate valve you just give it a spin and it'll do a pretty fair job of cleaning out the slot where the gate valve closes. It's likely that there is something stuck in the gate valve slot and this method should clean it out. It's also a pretty cheap and easy fix...so there's that going for it too.
That is an excellent idea. I am going to have to get one of those.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertdEagle View Post
One thing that I've used in the past is this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LintEater-J...-White/4321920

It's a dryer lint cleaning kit - which is just a synthetic brush on a couple of screwed together rods. It's the right size to fit into the drain pipe and as long as you can reach the gate valve you just give it a spin and it'll do a pretty fair job of cleaning out the slot where the gate valve closes. It's likely that there is something stuck in the gate valve slot and this method should clean it out. It's also a pretty cheap and easy fix...so there's that going for it too.
On my trailer, there is a 90 degree bend between the gate valve and the outside connection. Do the handles on this kit bend enough to reach around the corners? And can the brush reach the gate valve opening on all sides?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
On my trailer, there is a 90 degree bend between the gate valve and the outside connection. Do the handles on this kit bend enough to reach around the corners? And can the brush reach the gate valve opening on all sides?
What I would do in the case of a 90 degree (or other) bend in pipe is to use a flexible shaft like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1J11WK...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

Just affix the brush to the end using stainless steel safety wire (yeah...you "could" use duck tape...but you don't wanna' lose the brush around the bend either). Once you've attached the brush to the flex shaft, just stick it up there and give a a twist.

There are lots of options for a flex cable...You could even use a fish tape (awesome tool). Just attach the brush to the end and away you go.

The only hard part about going around corners is that whatever you use will naturally want to go to the "outside" of the curve...it's harder to get to the "inside" of the curve. Think about it and it'll make sense. If this happens to you, just get a brush diameter that is slightly larger than your pipe. (there are lots & lots of brush options). Basically, what you're making is a chimney sweep brush.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #25
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If the goal is to get some lubricant directly onto the seals, what about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/DU-MOST-Exten...s%2C356&sr=8-4

These are designed to go on top of cans of undercoating oil and have a 360-degree spray pattern. If one can be found to fit the can of the correct type of lubricant for the valves, like gel silicone or the like, it would be easy to get it in the right place.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If the goal is to get some lubricant directly onto the seals, what about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/DU-MOST-Exten...s%2C356&sr=8-4

These are designed to go on top of cans of undercoating oil and have a 360-degree spray pattern. If one can be found to fit the can of the correct type of lubricant for the valves, like gel silicone or the like, it would be easy to get it in the right place.
Perhaps, but that pesky 90* turn is still an issue. Maybe taping a stiff wire along the hose, making the proper arc, would allow for a "centering" of the nozzle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:07 PM   #27
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Perhaps, but that pesky 90* turn is still an issue. Maybe taping a stiff wire along the hose, making the proper arc, would allow for a "centering" of the nozzle.
Would you be able to use a length of this stuff to help hold the nozzle centered?

https://www.amazon.com/Coolant-Adjus...%2C271&sr=8-16
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Lubricate the valve from inside?

How about emptying the waste tank, rinsing very well. Add a gallon of water or so to the newly cleaned tank, spray lubricant into the waste tank, with the not-pictured clear waste cap in place allow it to fill, let it sit, repeat. There may be enough of the lubricant to lubricate the gate valve rings.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
How about emptying the waste tank, rinsing very well. Add a gallon of water or so to the newly cleaned tank, spray lubricant into the waste tank, with the not-pictured clear waste cap in place allow it to fill, let it sit, repeat. There may be enough of the lubricant to lubricate the gate valve rings.
I bought a bottle of Thetford dump valve lubricant. They recommended adding 4 gallons of water + a measure of the lube, and exercising the valve.
That means you'll have a gallon or so between the dump valve and the cap waiting for you to remove the cap. Surprise!
Long ago I purchased and never installed the Camco gate valve that twists on replacing the cap.

Using this you should be able to close the secondary gate, open the main gate and only have fluid in the short distance from the second gate to the cap. 3"? Then, attach the dump hose at your convenience and open the second valve.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Hi,

Go to Walmart and look in the grocery section with the other cooking oils. Get 32 oz and use 16 in your shower drain. It's the lowest point. Empty tank first, add coconut oil, wait 20 ish minutes, go out and open and close valve really quick. All done. Should feel really good after that. Save the oil for the next time you need to do a quick service.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Hi,

Go to Walmart and look in the grocery section with the other cooking oils. Get 32 oz and use 16 in your shower drain. It's the lowest point. Empty tank first, add coconut oil, wait 20 ish minutes, go out and open and close valve really quick. All done. Should feel really good after that. Save the oil for the next time you need to do a quick service.
Hi, I see you have a 26U, as do I. Do you also run this through the macerator to lubricate the black tank valve?
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
26 rbt

Hi,

I haven't ever had the need to run any coconut oil through the black tank. The valve always slides open easily. But if it feels sticky, you could probably empty the black tank and add a little coconut oil, a little at a time, to get some in the tank. After dumping the black tank a cleaning with a bit of soap, or even tank techs rx would get any oil residue off the blades.

If you have any concerns I would recommend calling Dometic about the coconut oil. If you do contact, get back in touch and let me know what they say. It would be interesting to know if there is a maintenance procedure they recommend. (I might call them also)
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Thetford valve lubricant. Also…store the RV with some of it sitting in the bowl of the toilet… and pour some down the shower drain.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I think I would try pouring a gallon or two of RV antifreeze down the drain, let it set a bit, then go to the dump station and exercise the gate while dumping. Propylene Glycol is a decent lubricant, kills some bacteria, and won't harm anything. I would lean toward avoiding any bacteria sponsoring or sludge building oils like vegetable or coconut.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote