Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Leaky BW tank

I wrote this ealier and now cant find it so I will try again. I have a leak near where the the Thetford valve attaches to the tank. The white flange appears to be the culprit. I can turn the flange. It is tight but I can turn it none the less. My thought is that I can pack in behind the flange that enters the tank with plumbers putty or something such as that. I would then use a pipe clamp on the outside just for good measure. Is this a good fix or has anyone else had this issue and found a better or tried and true repair. I dont know if plumbers putty will resist breaking down in such a "shitty" environment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jai
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The valve is held to the tank flange by 4 stainless steel screws. If you remove the 4 screws the valve will separate form the tank. Between the valve and the mounting flange there is an O ring. This O ring is one of the set that comes in a standard rebuild kit form Thetford. The kit runs 20 bucks. There will be the seals to replace the internal seal in the valve itself as well as a gasket.

The plumbers putty may work, but the long term fix is to get a new seal kit. the flange should be glued to the tank outlet. If this is where it is leaking you have a bigger problem to worry about. Namely the issue of IF the tank itself is cracked or just needs some more glue
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I have new rebuild kits. I will replace them while I am at it. The leak as I tried to state is from the where the flange and tank come together. I am able to rotate the flange so it is in fact loose. Thats why I was going to put the plumbers putty or other sealant behind the flange to reseal it.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Thumbs down NOOOOOOO! Stop now Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
I have new rebuild kits. I will replace them while I am at it. The leak as I tried to state is from the where the flange and tank come together. I am able to rotate the flange so it is in fact loose. Thats why I was going to put the plumbers putty or other sealant behind the flange to reseal it.
You either have a glue in or a Clamp in flange, If there is no clamp you probaby have a glue in, Re-glue it. Otherwise replace the clamp.

Still rebuild the valves, they are already off to do the repair.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Now thats interesting because the grey water flange/tank has a clamp. Perhaps the clamp has just been removed or fell off for that matter. I saw the clamp on the GW tank and assumed it was added by PO. I would rather fix it properly. Is there a way to tell if I have glue or clamp. Do you know of any pics posted anywhere that could show me the diff. My digital camera is vacationing with my daughter this week so I cant take a pic myself.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If it is a glue in, there would be a glue ridge where the two pipes used to overlap. It could have been a clamp in OEM. I would try a clamp first and see if the leak is fixed. If is I would move on to the next project and jump with joy for a cheap and easy fix.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jaiman

if it is a clamp on set up, try good old vulkem on the interface between the tank and valve. then add a good quality aircraft hose clamp. i would doubt plumbers putty would work well in the enviroment you describe above!

i had to redo my grey water valve using this method, it has never leaked a drop since i repaired it. AND given the non hardening qualities of vulkem i'm sure i can get it apart again in the future.

this is how my '92 was assembled from the factory. i'll dig up a link with photos if you need it.