Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
Leaking Black Tank Flush

I recently noticed when I was flushing my black tank that I was seeing water leak from the wheel well area. The water is not coming from the AC drains or the refrigerator drain. Is there a way to access this hose to see if it's cracked or loose?
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
We have noticed something similar....leaking after flushing, and liquid is in between the cover and the tank.
Anyone ever dropped the tank cover to check anything out. Looks like the valve pull is riveted street side and would have to be removed.
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
just inside of the flush inlet is a back flow preventer. People often report it begins to leak. It is generally accessible under or behind the cabinetry false backs or floors. There are available back flow preventers with 1/2 and 3/4 fittings that have a treaded vent port so you can route a drain tube that doesn't just drip into the wheel well.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
Back flow preventer

Thanks, Brian,
Not sure where to locate, but will look for it.
Looks like a trip to repair the problem.
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
BSmiley,

Time to dive in a bit.

The back flow preventer as Brian stated open cabinet under bath sink that's a good place to start looking. Look for two vertical PEX pipes that go up maybe 18" or so from the floor and a plastic or maybe brass looking device that connects the two pipes. Mine is under bath sink in the cabinet near the HWT.

Now hook up the hose as inspect for leak running and at shut down of water to no fush flush. Difficulty seeing everything, stick the cell phone in there and hit record.

Even if it's a PEX issue if you're handy there are ways to get 'er done!

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSmiley View Post
We have noticed something similar....leaking after flushing, and liquid is in between the cover and the tank.
Anyone ever dropped the tank cover to check anything out. Looks like the valve pull is riveted street side and would have to be removed.
Jkreis.... In my 2007 25' the check valve for the flushing device is directly behind the fitting on the outside of the trailer and is accessed in my trailer through a removable panel in the closet. I think the check valve is sensitive to the water pressure on the water line you connect to it and does not seal properly if the pressure is low. I replaced mine and the problem did not come back. Attached are pictures of where the valve is located in my trailer and a picture of the valve. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Water Flush Check Valve.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	387303   Click image for larger version

Name:	040909.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	387304  

Old 01-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Cumming , Georgia
same happened to us. we have a 2014 27 ft.
we had to empty our closet and next to the back wall they were able to remove a shelf and fix the problem... the connection to the sewer wash was cracked.
Hope this helps...i didn't do the repair so this is the best i can do...
janeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
As 2dabeach pictured, at one time Airstream fitted plastic anti-siphon valves. These tended to break over time, which happened in our 2013 Flying Cloud. The amount of water that leaked from this breakage was substantial.

I replaced it with a brass equivalent and I believe that Airstream switched from plastic to brass around the 2015 models.

So you should have a brass valve but Airstream has been known to change or find and use old stock.

As others have said, you are going to have to check on this from the inside. On our trailer, Airstream did not make it easy to access this area.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The black water flush should be winterized with the rest of the plumbing or it will freeze too.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I had the same problem on another trailer. I realized that not using pressure reducers on the tank flush was the problem. Three things happened all at once. The water heater developed a small drip from the pressure relief valve, the water filter started leaking from a seam, and the black tank anti-siphon valve went bad. All at the same park.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Tank flush

I agree with Rocco. Most of us have a pressure reducer on the main water input even tho Airstreams have one on board.
When it comes to flushing the black tank we tend to forget to use reduced pressure. I use 2 brass Y’s with shut offs. One outlet has no pressure reducer while the second has a pressure reducer which feeds the Airstream with an extra outlet for reduced pressure usage. I think it works.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
60R
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Flush leak

I have a 2014 23D that we have had since September. Water is leaking when using the tank flush. The water is coming from bottom pan at point where black tank drain plumbing comes out. I have read multiple threads so understand the inside plumbing. I have visually inspected the back flow valve and the inlet to black tank with water energized. There are no obvious leaks and there is no water on the floor under sink or in toilet compartment.

Any ideas where this leak might be?
60R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm going to guess you haven't noticed any substantial leak when the tank is full but backflush is not used, and assume it is a leak requiring some pressure so Ill speculate it is the connection between the inlet hose and the backwash spray manifold. A leak of the tank itself is more likely to show continuously, using backwash or not.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
60R
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I'm going to guess you haven't noticed any substantial leak when the tank is full but backflush is not used, and assume it is a leak requiring some pressure so Ill speculate it is the connection between the inlet hose and the backwash spray manifold. A leak of the tank itself is more likely to show continuously, using backwash or not.
All of those assumptions are correct. I just went back out to trailer and felt of insulation in wall where connections is made. It is damp. The twist connector at wall was relatively loose. I made it looser by turning the wrong way. Everything is blind as fitting sits behind other vertical tubing. On a warmer day I think I can take a small screw driver and push on fitting grip to tighten. If there is a way to do that from the outside I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!
60R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeair View Post
same happened to us. we have a 2014 27 ft.
we had to empty our closet and next to the back wall they were able to remove a shelf and fix the problem... the connection to the sewer wash was cracked.
Hope this helps...i didn't do the repair so this is the best i can do...
We have a 2017 19’ FC. The back flow preventer/ anti siphon is under the bathroom sink. After inspecting with the flush running, found the valve is good. The leak is coming from the line that goes to the black tank but I can get my hand in far enough to determine where. I’m assuming it is the connection at the tank. How does one access this on a 19’ FC?
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote