Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Is it feasible to convert a fresh water tank to gray?

I've just purchased my first Airstream, a '73 Tradewind, and am starting to do some "remodeling". There is no gray tank in the original install, so I was trying to come up w/ a few options (not blueboy).

Since I would never trust a (multiple)previous-owner used fresh tank, I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to use as a gray tank. I would then install a much smaller (new) fresh tank under the sink directly behind the exterior fill.

Thoughts? I didn't say it would be easy, but maybe w/ a little plumbing &/or multiple pump use??
gottafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafly View Post
I've just purchased my first Airstream, a '73 Tradewind, and am starting to do some "remodeling". There is no gray tank in the original install, so I was trying to come up w/ a few options (not blueboy).

Since I would never trust a (multiple)previous-owner used fresh tank, I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to use as a gray tank. I would then install a much smaller (new) fresh tank under the sink directly behind the exterior fill.

Thoughts? I didn't say it would be easy, but maybe w/ a little plumbing &/or multiple pump use??
The simple answer - No
There are a few reasons why. The tank is not plumbed for Grey water: No proper Inlet, outlet or vent.
There are many people who have successfully installed proper grey tanks in your vintage trailer. Go to the Plumbing Section of the Forum and you will find what you need.
As for the Fresh Water tank, it can be Cleaned and Sanitized you can find instructions in the same section.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, gottafly...lots of good info to be found here, and lots of helpful membrs...

Good advice from Janet's Husband...you'd be ahead of the game to install a grey tank and sanitize the fresh water tank for use rather than trying to re-invent the fresh water tank into a grey water holding tank.

If the fresh water tank is adequately sanitized there's no reason you can't use it. In the process you can sanitize the entire fresh water system...after all, whatever was in the fresh water tank was likely sent through the fresh water plumbing, so you might as well sanitize the whole works and be done with it.

Ease on down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Gotta agree here. Sanitize the fresh and then deal with the gray.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Ditto. And just think what the next owner would say about you if you made the conversion and then sold it.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I agree with all this- keep your freshwater tank as is. It is possible to divert grey water into the black tank, when you can't dump it into a bucket or let it run out onto the ground. It requires a fairly easy plumbing mod, incorporating a big ball valve. I did this in my '72, and it has come in very handy. PM me if you want more info on this. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We are in the process of installing a gray tank in our 62 Flying Cloud. You can take a look at our progress here, and I am getting ready to post pictures of the completed installation over the weekend.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...tallation-144/

Good Luck!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Gottafly;

Welcome to the Forums. I have found that the easiest way to sanatize a fresh water tank is to pour about 1/4 cup of clorox bleach in when you are filling the tank. You can then run your water pump with all of the faucets open until you smell the bleach coming throug. Then drain your fresh water tank on to the ground. Should take only a few hours to do that.
Good Luck in getting your Grey Water tank installed.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote