Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
insulated tank boxes

In this trailer that I have both the grey and black tanks have sheet metal boxes that the tanks set down into. Inside the boxes the tanks are surrounded with rigid insulation. Is this normal?

My fresh water tank was not installed. The only thing on the chassis that indicates possible supporting stucture for the fresh water tank is 1 1/2" angle iron across the top between the main rails and two mystery strips of metal on each side welded between the lips of the C channel.

1) I should build a box for the fresh water tank, right?
2) Can anyone give me a better idea of how the fresh water tank is supported by the chassis?

Thanks
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel yes the waste tanks are installed in galvanized metal boxes and surrounded with white rigid styrofoam insulation.
The fresh water tank is not installed in a box of any kind. The tank does fit up between the angle iron and a 1" thick piece of plywood slides in to the angle iron to hold the tank in place. There is also a piece of belly pan aluminium below the plywood to seal in the plywood. The front piece of angle iron is bolted to the two side pieces of angle iron. This removable piece of angle iron allow the plywood to be slid forward to remove the tank. The entire assembly(plywood and belly pan is then sealed all around the edges of the angle iron with Vulkem to waterproof it.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
So there are two pieces of angle iron below the level of the tank.. and the two pieces of angle iron support a piece of plywood that the tank sits on top of.. is that right? All that I have is one piece of angle iron at the floor level.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel all together there are four pieces of angle iron forming a box frame. The front piece is bolted on and removable. This allows for removal of the plywood and the tank. This is the best pic I have of the tank and angle iron installed. What you see is the rear angle iron that goes across between the main frame rails and the road side angle located along the main frame rail. The aluminium you see is below the plywood. If you do not have the plywood it will be hard to find a piece 1 inch thick.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here is the AS Service Manual exploded drawing for the 1977 water tank. I have the 1974 Service Manual around here somewhere, but IIRC the two are identical.

I would suggest that it would be far easier to find a complete assembly from a trailer of a year near yours, and buy the parts. Just a thought. People like Colaw's probably have this. Google the name, you can call them for a price.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here is the AS Service Manual exploded drawing for the 1977 water tank. I have the 1974 Service Manual around here somewhere, but IIRC the two are identical.

My 73 is different than this diagram and I suspect that daniel`s 74 is like mine.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Funny, they only show one of these in the Service Manual for '74 IIRC. How is yours different, Chris? Do you have the SM for you TT, or good photos showing what it is?

Oh wait, you ARE showing it in the previous post. Yeah, it's way different. For one thing, your tank isn't a "donut" shape is it?

Oh, well...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not only nice pictures, but just like with a vintage car, the true measure of a nice restoration can only be seen on your back a creeper where no one else will see! Nice job, Wasa!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Aage my fresh tank does not have a box it sits in. It sits on a 1 inch thick incredibly heavy piece of plywood which is suspended from 4 pieces of angle iron. Just below the plywood is a sheet of aluminium belly pan. BTW I have the service manual for 1973 and it shows the set up I have.

dznf0g Thanks. you`re right the best view of my reno so far is on a creeper. Even the pics don`t do it justice. It`s hard to get clear shots from that viewpoint.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I have the 75 service manual and it shows the tank resting on a 1" piece of plywood but also with plywood sides. I guess it couldn't hurt to put some insulation around it if there is room.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
An idea

Daniel,

It might be of use to you to consider starting a thread that puts all your questions (and the asnwers you get) in one place, so that posters reading and responding to your questions can get an overall view of what it is you are doing. Call it "Excella Experiences" or some such name.

Right now you seem to be focussing on the water supply system, so your shower and fresh water tank fit nicely into one thread, don't they?

But in fact, many people have long and very interesting threads that put all their work on a trailer together in one place, and they eventually wind up becoming very interesting stories about an owner's path.

Usually, they are place in the forum that has to do with a particular model and year. For your trailer, that would be 1973-1974 Excella 500 - Airstream Forums

It then becomes a good reference document for other owners of your model to refer to, since you would put all the questions and answers to questions on various parts of your trailer there.

People that do that also often wind up put descriptions of trips they do when the TT is roadworthy, which rounds out the experience one has with a trailer.

Since many members read both the posts they have already responded to, and then hit the "New Posts" button too, you wouldn't need to worry about experienced readers missing questions you have about a specific part of your work.

Just a thought…
Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Good idea.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Aage my fresh tank does not have a box it sits in. It sits on a 1 inch thick incredibly heavy piece of plywood which is suspended from 4 pieces of angle iron. Just below the plywood is a sheet of aluminium belly pan. BTW I have the service manual for 1973 and it shows the set up I have.
Yes, that it a lot different from mine. Could you scan and post that page from your SM for me? I'd love to see how it all works.