Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Installing black & grey water tanks

Our 1967 Safari is currently gutted with the subfloor intact. We want to install a new black water tank and a grey water tank. ( old black water tank is in the back).

Mark has drawn up his general plan. Please let us know what you think of it or if we should change anything. Thank you so much!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf safari specs (dragged) 1.pdf (292.8 KB, 446 views)
File Type: pdf safari specs (dragged) 2.pdf (429.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: pdf safari specs (dragged).pdf (203.0 KB, 345 views)
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Where is the plan located at?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I see no need for that third gate valve just before the final exit.

Your proposed setup is just like the factory setup on our '83 Excella. That has one valve at the exit of each tank. Only using two valves.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
You have to click on the attached files. I don't know how to attach the pictures any other way. If there is a better way please let me know! Thanks Denise
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You would have to create them as .jpg or one of the other more common image files. pdf files always result in a link here.

In the first pdf, you reduce the 3" to 2" coming out of the grey tank. Why is this?

I agree, unless you are going to get fancy shifting fluid from grey to black, I don't see why you need the third (last) WV.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Will the new tanks be enclosed within the galvanized box?

I added new tanks on my 67, (2) 6 gallon tanks that drain from the bottom.
I had a new tank box made, the old one rusted away over the years.

Good Luck
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you use the 2" pipe between the 3" pipes, there will always be some waste trapped in the 3" portion of the gray water pipe. I would use a 3"x3"x3" combination tee coming out of the black tank (or a 3x3x3 sanitary tee if it's a tight space) and eliminate that section of 2" pipe.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Hello to all. Thanks for responding. The 3" to 2" is to fit a bend collector slip hub from tweetys. I didn't find a 3" piece. The last w.v. is for back washing the black tank with grey water after the black tank has been dumped. It's not my idea, but is sound or overkill ? Is the 2" clean-out at the other end overkill ? I will be making sheet metal pans with foam board insulation. Angle iron and supports where needed. I've never restored anything of this magnitude, and want to do it right. Seeing and reading about what others have done gives me encouragement. Can I ask a few ?'s Thanks in advance. Do Valterra w.s. work horizontally ? Thetford ? Cable operated any good ? Dump bathroom sink into black tank ? Place one piece of flooring, like marmoleum, (as close to one piece as possible) under everything, tub,water heater, kitchen cabinet, or put in flooring after most things have been installed ? That's just some of the questions that have been banging around in my head. Thanks again, Mark
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
3x3x3

Hello again. To A W Warn and all, I'm just getting up to speed on this poop tank project and they make more w.v. adapters than I've found so far, so I'll look again, because it would be nicer to have it be 3"s all the way. I've been over thinking this stuff and my head hurts. Is this normal. Must get rest now.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Heating

I was moving full steam ahead on a similar plan with my 68 Safari Twin, then as I was removing the duct work for the furnace, I had a moment of doubt.

If I install a grey water tank frame to frame near the axle, how does the heat get back to the bathroom?

Does anyone have a workaround, if I still want heat in the bathroom?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I've seem photos of the heater duct running on top of the floor through a closet. So my guess would be that it was ran either under and through the beds all the way down on top of the floor, or ran underneath and then up through the floor and along the top of the floor. If you live in a really cold place, you might want to think about how to keep the tanks warm. My ambassador came with a duct that heated the black tank.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdenise View Post
...The last w.v. is for back washing the black tank with grey water after the black tank has been dumped. It's not my idea, but is sound or overkill ? Is the 2" clean-out at the other end overkill ?
The third valve is an excellent idea...I have installed a back flush gate valve on the '78 and use it at each dump to rock the gray water in order to better fllush the black tank....

The 2" valve should be replaced with a 1/2" or 3/4" valve for power washouts - better still to include an interior pipe with jet nozzels on this valve to reallly give the black tank a proper cleaning.

Good luck on your project - please share the time and costs ofyour undertaking so others can better estimate the labor and monies involved in similar undertakings.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote