Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We’re sorry for the sh*++¥ experience you’re having. Please send us the last 6 digits of your vin.....

[emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
10-days w/o a Dump...the Black Tank, that is.

Just completed a 10-day stay at Birch Bay SP, WA. No hookups. Showered and had a few meals at my daughter's place a couple of miles away, but otherwise made the 40-gal FW tank last with conservative use. No discernable odors from the waste tanks. Dumped grey and black and refilled FW on the way out. Off to ID, MT and beyond.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I drove from CA to MA by myself and never dumped for over 7 days and my diet was horrible. Gas station food 100%. The black tank was 80% full, I never used a public restroom, I was looking for real ‘worst case’ conditions. Otherwise, my tanks are always well cared for, flushed and back-flushed. Grey tank was around 10% max, I never showered, didn’t want the grey tank to confuse things.

The only issue I had was during wind, there was some odor from the roof, I am assuming the vent. I’m thinking maybe a black tank active vent may take care of that? Any other heavy black tank users out there have an opinion? I’m looking to have a rig that will handle ‘worst case.’

Please, all you guys afraid to poop in you rigs please don’t respond, I mean I love you an all but, this is serious business, as in #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Peter, I used no treatment in the tanks. Normally, I use Pure Power Blue. I’m thinking an active vent as in a powered vent (fan). I think the tank is 54 gallons.

A little bit of poop or a lot of poop, what is the difference except what it weighs. Worse case scenario is a malfunction of that system that causes a leak/spill. Then a lot of poop is a big problem!

I do not think a powered exhaust fan installed in the sewer vent pipe will provide the solution you seek, since that single vent pipe from the black tank passes air both directions, in (when the tank is dumped) and out (as the tank is filled).
And, there is no intake path for fresh air to flow into the tank to replace what goes out, if an exhaust fan is installed in that vent pipe.

ps:
I stopped wasting my $ years ago on tank treatments. Poop/urine smells bad no matter what. Chemicals might mask one odor with another, but it still stinks. Proper use of the existing exhaust fans (turn them off or blowing inward when flushing the toilet) solves odor problems.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We don't really treat for the smells... it's the smooth chunk free release we seek.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Does anyone else drop with the pump off and an open flush valve to save water? 🤓
It does take some practice getting the correct seating posture. 🤔

Bob
🇺🇸

No I actually fill the bowl with water (pre-flush) so more water is added to the black tank. This also cuts down on toilet bowl skid marks.......
I think I am going to order some "Happy Campers" tank treatment and see if my nose knows the difference.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
First couple years we used those chem packs you throw in. Not much help. One chemical smell over sewage.

These days, we do Happy Camper when we start the trip and after leaving the dump station we put about 5 gallons of water in the black and gray tanks with a couple capfuls of liquid Calgon and a good amount of Dawn. That’s in the tank for the next trip when we add Happy Camper and while I’m not foolish enough to stick my head in the black tank to check, it’s been odor-free ever since.

Oh - and never have your bathroom/shower fans on when you flush. It just draws the tank stank right through the trailer.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
No I actually fill the bowl with water (pre-flush) so more water is added to the black tank. This also cuts down on toilet bowl skid marks.......
I think I am going to order some "Happy Campers" tank treatment and see if my nose knows the difference.
I knoe nothing.... BUT, cr@P SMELLS, if you smell it in your AS you have concerns other than what 'treatment' is being used.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I live in a town where I have heard it said “ The people in your town don’t think their s**t stinks”. Maybe that’s your problem. You live in the wrong town.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Fulltimer here and last few years have worked on projects that required cross country trips 6 times. Never had time to sightsee so it was important to get from GA to MT or CO to FL in a reasonable amount of time...alone.

Never stayed in campgrounds, only Walmart/Sams, or State Welcome Center Rest areas. No overnights in truck stops cause they are loud and you might get boxed in if the place is packed, especially due to weather.

My Airstream carries 60 gal of fresh water, 70 gal gray tank, and 45 gal black tank. Never travel with more than 1/2 tank of water due to the weight. Always used blue chemicals in my toilet and took showers every other day. Not to mention washing dishes and clean up after meals.

I made all my trips in 4 to 5 days on the road. Again weather is the biggest factor cause rain, snow, and fog are awful to drive RV's in when your on a schedule. At end of each trip neither of my holding tanks were full and I still had a little water.

Never had a problem with odors and use my tank washer maybe once per month. Basically, if you do not use chemicals and leave s**t in it for extended time.....your gonna have a mess to deal with in the end.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote