Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
How to clean out the grey Tank

Hello looking for your diy ideas to clean out grey tank. We’re 18 months into full timing and the grey tank sensor is on the fritz. Tried thetford tank blaster a couple of time overnight and driving with tank 3/4 full - some crud came out but nothing compared to see below:

Last week, I ried to snake in my water heater cleaner hose attachment with a diy extension tube that points the flow backwards, but the contraption was a bit short and it was hard to figure out if I was hitting the sensor area..... But so much crud came out it boggled my mind and btw totally grossed me out as we were catching in a bucket, We do our best to keep food particles from going down and have periodically dumped clean water into sink during dumps to try to keep the tank clean but we never used grey tank treatment chems until the dons or issue.

After being traumatized by the crud monster, I’m convinced we should all have grey water flush just like black tank. Or we collectively put our thinking caps on (unless a practical genius hasn’t already solved this) and figure out a clever easy to use hose attachment or contraption that will get the job done at the dump station. I think a flush every couple of months would probably do the trick.

The camco backwater flush will not really help now perhaps others who use it regularly have avoided this issue but I doubt it as the sensor is malfunction at higher fill suggesting it is a ring 3/4 up the tank.
MandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I use Happy Camper and TankTechsRx
Neither contain harsh chemicals and are environmentally safe. Follow the directions and they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...8276587&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFUJBTW...mcd_asin_0_img
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Fill both tanks (Grey & Black) about 1/2 full and add a bottle of Pinesol or Mr. Clean to each tank, let it sit over night then drive couple hundred miles so that the water sloshes around - then stop by a dump station and dump the tanks. Backwash if possible. We do this each year keeps it nice and clean... After that use the standard bio eaters...

We use strainers in the sink drains and shower to minimize food partials etc. and never start with an empty "Black" tank to avoid the pyramids sensation..
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Solution to stubborn dirty grey tank sensor

Tried many of the remedies out there filled tanks with pinesol, dawn, tank buster, rv digest it, and even 20 gallons of vinegar, (for calcification) drove it on bumpy roads etc etc nothing worked. These solutions are good for maintaining a clean tank which we did not do for over a year., so something stubborn was stuck on the wall of the tank over the sensor

Bought camco tank hose spray (for black tanks) and inserted through the grey tank dump valve, this yielded a bunch of nasty grime which I had to bucket out, but the spay would not hit the sensor wall (probably) because of nozzle orientation. Almost gave up but then figured I try one last method.

Bought a hose sprayer nozzle and modified it as per attached pics for the spray to shoot outwards. Stuck the hose into grey tank pressure equalization valve/pipe and viola a bunch more grime came out and sensors are back to normal. I could not do this with the Camco hose attachment because it would not be fit into the pipe.

See attached pics

Hope this helps someone down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5F86AE3-1F86-4E75-8F2F-4959DF21FEC6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	401708   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED79C468-5F41-437D-AE0F-61BDAE0AC214.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	401709  

Click image for larger version

Name:	706BC3AB-859D-4BCB-B4E6-ADD7BB714D96.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	401710   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA7C0B83-125F-4F07-8EF4-1E9544D94C78.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	401711  

MandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Wayne , IN
wow, ingenious contraption you've made! I really wish there was clean in place ball in the grey tank also. I've been having an odor issue which I suspect is also from the grey and caused by the previous owner's poor practices. I'm going to try the wand first, but now I'm scared... removed the air admittance valve under the closet next to the shower to inspect, boy did a stink arise! Wish me luck!!

Thanks for all the advice!
seebeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Grey Tank Cleaning

I drop 2 dishwasher pods in tank after dumping along with 3-4 gal of water. campground for 15-20 min, dump again. Works well.
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote