Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
home dump station advice needed

newbie, just bought 2005 classic, not getting it for a month but we are getting ready. plumber can access house sewer line and can bring a pipe up into driveway for our home dump station. He said he can put whatever fitting on pipe I need and for me to get fitting for him. What should I get? appreciate advise from someone that may have put in a home dump station. Please let me know exactly what to buy. Thanks
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Depends on how often you'll be using it. If it's often, then you'll want some sort of easy-open hinged cap. If it's seldom, you can get by with a screw-on cap and use a pipe wrench to open it.

You don't want it IN your driveway, just alongside, preferably on the driver's side of your trailer when you park it.

In either case, you'll want to have it extend above ground level, high enough that you won't damage a lawn mower running over it (i.e. too tall to run over) but low enough that your slinky will slope down to it for good drainage.

A water hose close by is a good idea, so you can clean up your slinky after dumping.

A concrete pad around it will help prevent it from being a muddy mess after hosing out your slinky, but that's optional. You could get by just as well with gravel around it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The fitting the plumber installs should accept the adapter in the bottom part of this link. This adapter mates to a 3.0" non-threaded, and 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0" threaded pipe fittings; so your plumber can choose which works best for the pipe he runs, and the bottom portion of this adapter should fit any of these.

Easy Slip 4-in-1 Sewer Adapter with Elbow - Camco 39144 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Note: You do not need the part shown in the top half of this photo. This is a repair part, and that piece will already be installed on the end of your sewer hose.

You may wish to buy the adapter (in the bottom portion of the photo) and give it to the plumber to make sure he installs the right pipe end. Our local RV store sells these for about $4-5.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
Howdy. I have a baldy -- a 4" bare-ended pipe at about 4" above grade just outside and behind the portside tires. It is covered with a 4" rubber Jim-cap when not in use, and I use a 4" x 3" rubber Cantex adapter to slip the slinky into to dump.

If you're hooked-up for a while, you can tighten the bands to keep odors at bay. The Cantex stays reasonably clean by just sliding the slinky right down past it , pull the Cantex with the slinky, then rinse the slinky before pulling the Cantex off.

wryawry
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am fortunate in having had a close access to the sewer for my trailer. I have a screw-on cap and it works fine. I also have a hose bib and a 30AMP electric service. This set-up allows me to use the trailer as "guest quarters" if I fill up the guest rooms in the house. Very interesting. EVERYONE wants to stay in the trailer. So just be prepared!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
thank you everyone, appreciate the advise
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We also don't have a "fitting", just a PVC pipe large enough to accept the slinky, and not restrict flow, a twist-lock cap to seal.

Bob