Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2022, 12:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Holding tank sensors with no readings at all

Hi all! After de-winterizing last weekend, my holding tank sensors have no readings at all. I am used to them misreading and giving faulty tank level info, but neither the black or gray water tanks read anything now.

Anyone have an idea of why I would be not getting any waste tank level readings? (Fresh water tank levels read properly)

Thanks!
JJ
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Stupid question, but I am assuming you have plenty in the black and gray tanks?

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

I learned to think about it like this...how long could I continue to work if I was covered in poop half my life?

I did the GeoMethod once years ago.
Now it's 1/8 cup Dawn and Happy Camper after every dump and through flush.
POI all our sensors are still working....

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
No Readings ? no power? = could be a fuse.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
The connector for the black tank sensor (at least on my 19) is located on the outside plumbing that feeds into the dump valve. This connector is subject to all matter of road debris and moisture. Mine rotted out after about 3 years and while I have a pretty good feel for how long we can get by, a quick check with peek down into the tank is a pretty reliable monitor.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Thanks all!
SPP, the black water tank was not very full, but the gray water tank was completely full and overflowing the shower just a bit.

Bob, I will give that geo method a try. I did use some cascade dish washer detergent in the full gray tank and drove around for about an hour but it did not have an effect.

I guess my concern is that there is no readings at all. I thought that if the sensors were covered with “stuff” they would still read out tank level info, just not accurately.
Sounds like you all are saying that no readings at all could also mean the sensors are clogged up?
Old 05-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Laurence and John, thanks! I am thinking it is more something like one of those issues as I am not getting any readings.

I didn’t even think about a fuse blown. Would that fuse just run the black and gray water tank power though, or would it also run other electronics as well? I don’t notice anything else electrical not working.

As for the sensor connector that is curious. Is there the same type of sensor for the gray tank as well? What are the chances both went at the same time? Definitely a possibility.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Me too

I am having no reading at all. Whole unit not lighting up. Anything to do with on and off switch on battery disconnect?
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I use a mix of Dawn Ultra dish detergent and liquid Calvin water softener. I understand that the inclusion of the liquid Calvin is particularly important when hard water is in the tanks.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Me too and…

Nothing on inverter circuit coming on. Shore power OK.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
palm bch. gardens , Florida
Sounds like nice to me!
Peggy Raffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Good Advise

Good Advise,

We found the dawn soapy dish water down the black tank does a great job between clean outs while traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I learned to think about it like this...how long could I continue to work if I was covered in poop half my life?

Bob
������������
Life is a Highway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
As for the sensor connector that is curious. Is there the same type of sensor for the gray tank as well? What are the chances both went at the same time? Definitely a possibility.

Thanks guys!
When at the same time means "during months of winter storage" the odds of both at the same time increases.

I believe Peggy Raffer meant MICE chewing wires which is another possibility.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
It would be useful to know the age of your trailer because that can have a lot to do with no readings.

Our 2002 came with simple electrical contacts. Airstream then changed to the Micropulse system and then to the SeeLevel system. Of the three, the SeeLevel system is, by far, the most accurate and reliable. The reason is that the sensors are on the outside of the tank and (unless solids are stuck to the side of the tank with the sensor) problems with the system would most likely be wiring- or fuse-related.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
It would be useful to know the age of your trailer because that can have a lot to do with no readings.

Our 2002 came with simple electrical contacts. Airstream then changed to the Micropulse system and then to the SeeLevel system. Of the three, the SeeLevel system is, by far, the most accurate and reliable. The reason is that the sensors are on the outside of the tank and (unless solids are stuck to the side of the tank with the sensor) problems with the system would most likely be wiring- or fuse-related.

Tim
Thanks Tim! It is a 2009 25’ Flying Cloud. I am not sure what kind of sensor system it has. I will check out the owners manual to see if it is in there. Do you happen to know what type of senses airstream was using in 2009?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Same. We used the Dawn & Happy Camper and had fully functioning sensors on our previous SOB for 3 years. I'd stay away from adding bleach as that can have a negative effect on your tank and valve seals.

In this instance, however, it sounds more like a sensor issue.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Raffer View Post
Sounds like nice to me!
Well, it’s not nice to have mice, but that’s what I think the issue is. I had to have the fresh water tank dropped to have a crack spin welded and while removed we took a look at the wires and could see the grey water tank wire was cut and the black looked to have been chewed on.

So, I am hoping we can drop the grey and black water tank covers so we can cut out the bad part of the wires and replace with new.

Anyone have luck doing this?

Also, are the black and grey tanks strapped up under the metal tank cover? We found that the fresh water tank was not strapped in place under the plastic cover.

Thanks all!
Old 08-03-2022, 06:39 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
palm bch. gardens , Florida
Had the same issue. Fresh water and battery level worked fine. Mice had dined on my grey and black wires. Had to splice them back together. Wires near my water pump ran down by the wheel well to the tanks. All good now!
Peggy Raffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I just swapped out my gray & black tank valves. While doing so I noticed that the wiring in my trailer for the tank sensors was just flopping around in there, with enough extra wire length for things to easily get snagged, torn, etc. Wouldn't take much for moisture and other issues in there to create all the right conditions for corrosion on the wires and connectors as well.

If you have access to the tanks through an access hatch, it would be a good idea to check things out. If you don't have easy access, it might be a good time to invest in a WiFi endoscope so you can peak in through a small opening.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:10 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Raffer View Post
Had the same issue. Fresh water and battery level worked fine. Mice had dined on my grey and black wires. Had to splice them back together. Wires near my water pump ran down by the wheel well to the tanks. All good now!
Our wires for the tanks run in the same spot. Unfortunately for us, the critter (may have been a squirrel) got into the well that holds the e grey and black water tank and the wires are chewed up in there. We were able to pull the wires out a ways and could see it chewed up.

Did you have to remove the well cover for the grey and black tank to fix the wires? I am trying to figure out if the grey and black tanks are strapped in place or if they are just sitting in the metal well? The fresh water tank was not strapped in place and was just sitting in the plastic tank well.