Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Maybe we should start checking the build dates of your trailers. Eric mentioned that the manufacturer had visited A/S due to a high failure rate and found that A/S had apparently not used the correct wire in connecting the sensor to the panel. That was supposedly corrected but I wonder how many are out there with bad wire? My trailer was built in October '03. We have been out once and all seems ok at this point.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Also, who manufactured your monitor. According to my manual, Airstream used 2 manufacturers in the CCD line depending on the trailer length. Ours has a SeeLevel II Model 712 by Garnet Instruments LTD that was used in the 22' and 28' CCD's where the 16', 19', and 25' models used a Micropulse monitor by Catcon Products, Inc.

Maybe the problem is with one and not the other or maybe it's with both of them.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #23
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
Believe mine was made Oct 03. Systems monitor is "MicroPulse" made by Catcon Products Inc.
Ed Keyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
micropulse here too, production date june 'o3 (if I'm not mistaken, maybe july).

any more specifics on that wiring trouble?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
I've noticed, that at least on my '77, the readings and calibrations are drastically affected by the source of the fresh water that I have....whether hooked up to "city" water, or using water from the fresh water tank.
Perhaps the mineral content of the water varies so much as to affect the conductivity of the water? I can't think of any other reason for it.
The level indicators all seem to be the most accurate when I'm using my wonderful well water from here at the house!
Guy
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

My 22' '04 CCD >> Catcon Micropulse
Production date of Micropulse >> March '04
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Whew! It sure is great to get back on the forums! My wife and I retired on June 28th and the laptop immediately "crashed!" Subsequently, we were on the road with the AS and couldn't get around to re-formatting the laptop. That said, we have been having the same problems with our tank level sensors on the 2000 Excella. The manual describes a "wiper" type blade (potentionmeter) that you're suppose to be able to adjust - but when I pulled the display panel open there ain't no such "animal!" There is, what appears to be two potentionmeters - but the adjustment would have to be done with a small screwdriver as they are circular in appearance with what, I think, is a slotted adjustment "screw" in the center. Has anyone else attempted an adjustment with a similar board? If so, why are there only two apparent adjustments available - versus three if you include the fresh water tank? With our black and grey tanks emptied, and flushed, the level indicators show 1/3 full. It takes very little for them to move to 2/3 rds - and they indicate full when I know the tanks are less than 2/3 full.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:07 AM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
micropulse here too, production date june 'o3 (if I'm not mistaken, maybe july).

any more specifics on that wiring trouble?
Apparently it was the wrong gage wire (needed to be heavier).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

I have a 2004 22' CCD. I just talked to Jack at Catcom/Micropulse and he was most helpful. We got my sensors all calibrated and they are now showing accurate. Took a few minutes but it seems to be a fix.

Prior to calibration, the black tank always showed empty and the fresh tank was innacurate - showed empty long before it was actually so (like half full).

The process is easy but the written instructions aren't good. It is helpful to have someone on the phone to walk you through it together.

If you have a Catcom (Micropulse), give Jack a call at 817-921-2188. He's most helpful.

Happy trails!~

----

Oh, BTW, they did mention that on Airstreams they sometimes get a problem with a factory performed wire splice on the monitor side of the coach around the wheelwell. I didn't have the problem so did not need to investigate. Worth talking to them about it, tho, if you are having problems with your Micropulse and calibrating won't fix it...
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Question to XRAY

Even if the written instructions are confusing, where might I get them?

I still need to see what sensor brand I have. My Black water tank reads full soon after I start using it.

I have found that looking down the hole works, but it would be nice if things worked on these new rigs. We did pay for them after all.

Andy
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Andy,

Here are the documents (download both). Thanks, Twink, for these.

Best regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calibration Modnstructions.PDF (4.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: pdf MicroPulse Monitor.PDF (61.0 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-28-2004, 12:48 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Jay, we have the same monitor on the 16.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Innacurate levels on older monitors

At the risk of jumping in on a thread and changing it a bit, I also have a problem with my tank monitor I thought I'd try to get your feedback on.

I have a '91 34' Excella (so clearly don't have the 2004 sensors). I really don't have confidence in ANY of the reported levels shown by the monitor system, and know for a fact that the fresh water levels are just wrong. The fresh water level only shows 1/4 when it is overflowing. In fact, the previous owner said that the autofill feature burst the fill pipe because it doesn't shut off, so he added a cutout switch by the pump. My guess is that the system thinks the tank is only 1/4 full, so valiantly keeps trying! Now, if I push really hard on the button on the monitor, the fresh water levels will show random(?) levels. I really have no idea if the problem is with the sensor or the monitor panel. Is there a way to recalibrate the monitor on an older unit? Or do I just give up and use air out of the faucet as the indicator that I'm running out of water?

On the other levels, the gray and black tanks sort of work, but I don't think they're very accurate. The LPG monitor shows full for both tanks, but the meter on the tanks read 1/4 and 3/4. Battery indicator may be OK, but it really is hard to tell.

Our old '87 25' monitor worked great, but it was above the sofa instead of in the range hood like the '91.

I'd really like to get this thing working as my wife is paranoid about the holding tanks.

Thanks for any help or insight you folks can provide! I have a cue of questions I'll probably begin to ask, but I've been kind of lurking for a while while I learn a bit more about the norms on the forum.

Thanks in advance
--Doug @ MU
MUDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

I'll put in in my two scents worth on this. I talked with a chemical sales guy at one of the better know RV stores and asked him about the chemicals that are supposed to fix this. He told me, off the record, to buy a quart of lemon juice and pput that in the tank, then fill the tank with fresh water to clean the electrodes. Says it works just as well as the commercial chemicals. Guess what...it does!, and it doesn't help a bit. Back to the ole flashlight and water in the bottom of the shower method. Larry
Old 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamr
I'll put in in my two scents worth on this. I talked with a chemical sales guy at one of the better know RV stores and asked him about the chemicals that are supposed to fix this. He told me, off the record, to buy a quart of lemon juice and pput that in the tank, then fill the tank with fresh water to clean the electrodes. Says it works just as well as the commercial chemicals. Guess what...it does!, and it doesn't help a bit. Back to the ole flashlight and water in the bottom of the shower method. Larry
All fine and dandy, except the new sensors are not electrode type devices like the old ones where liquid would close a circuit and register a reading. These new sensors measure density and no lemon juice in the world is gonna make them work any better.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Andy,

Here are the documents (download both). Thanks, Twink, for these.

Best regards,
Just saw this.

Anytime!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
All fine and dandy, except the new sensors are not electrode type devices like the old ones.
Twink's right. They measure "head pressure".
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Can't say if this will help, but when we had our 02 Bambi, I was shown at the factory how to adjust the monitors that were currently in that unit. They said it worked best if you first make sure the tanks are empty & then seperate (pry) the front of the wall monitor from the back. Located in behind the plate were small ( & I mean small) screws that one could adjust for the current levels of the tanks. These monitors were NOT the head pressure type, but worked ? with contacts. While on the factory tour ( 03 ) we were shown the NEW type that worked on the head or tank level pressure system & which we now have in our 04 unit. A/S at that time thought these would fix the sensor problems. Well------- so far,so good---- now when we findly get to use the unit we'll see if they work like A/S predicts.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pull the panel and see if I can find calibration screws...

--Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
Can't say if this will help, but when we had our 02 Bambi, I was shown at the factory how to adjust the monitors that were currently in that unit. They said it worked best if you first make sure the tanks are empty & then seperate (pry) the front of the wall monitor from the back. Located in behind the plate were small ( & I mean small) screws that one could adjust for the current levels of the tanks. These monitors were NOT the head pressure type, but worked ? with contacts. While on the factory tour ( 03 ) we were shown the NEW type that worked on the head or tank level pressure system & which we now have in our 04 unit. A/S at that time thought these would fix the sensor problems. Well------- so far,so good---- now when we findly get to use the unit we'll see if they work like A/S predicts.
Best,
MUDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
bottom line is the sensors airstream uses "suck"...on a classic the only way to replace the sensor is cut a hole in the belly pan....where to cut the hole is the question.
the catcon monitor and sensors are a joke in this industry....when you talk to airstream about the problems they say take it to a dealer...when you take it to a dealer they spend 5 days analyzing the problem then give you the alternative..."we can cut a hole and hope we find the sensor"....it's up to you.
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote