Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
or is it still the FF (Fragrant Flashlight) test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpurdy View Post
bottom line is the sensors airstream uses "suck"...
Well, thanks for dusting off this thread, I had wondered about those sensors for a while now. It seems that back in 2004, several users had complaints about the fluid sensors being inaccurate, and it was suggested (due to a Forum member contacting the mfgr of one of the two types) that perhaps AS may have had past problems installing them correctly.

In any event, it didn't really seem to get resolved then, just wondering if anyone has anything to add today? vpurdy indicates they are an industry joke.

Are they?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I don't know if they are a joke, but compared to the sensing systems that I have had on previous trailers, these are now going on 5 years old with them still working well. I did replace the main panel under warranty, due to a LED light which wouldn't light up.

Initially when these were first used by Airstream, they had problems doing the configuration correctly. Considering the number of trailers out there, I don't believe we have a high level of failures.

I just remember how much I marvel today that the black water sensor still works great, compared to usually one season that the old sensing system lasted.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
denman is , b.c.
Angry Sensors

1978 AS here!!! What color code goes to the holding and auxilliary tank probes. The manual doesn't give them.
kooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Info requested

I am currently working on some stuff for another trailer project, but when I read the numerous comments about these level sensing systems, and then viewed the product data sheets I am tempted to fix your problem first as I currently have a nearly complete level sensing system. However I think a solution must be capable of being used on all existing AS systems. The best think I derived from this site is that depending upon year and type of trailer there are three sensing systems; 1) conductivity probes meaning their are 4 or 5 probes that contact the fluid and cease to work when they get dirty, 2) an exernal tank strip (probably capacitive) that seems very unreliable from this site, and 3) pressure sensor which I already do. Is this correct or am I missing something?

1) I would think conducutivity probe system would work pretty good if probes are clean. There is a way to replace probes with either a single pressure sensor at the lowest probe, or replace all probes with another technology, but not sure people would want to pay for either approach. Is there really any problem with this system other than cleaning probes?

2) The external tank strip, if capacitive would be sensitive to wires going to the sensor or if not shielded, close to any metal like the frame, or if coming loose from the side of the tank, will vary. All these issues can be fixed. Worst case, are people willing to replace the electronic panel if all you had to do is switch wires from the existing panel to the new panel?

3) Pressue sensor is an "electronic device" and "could" be subject to corrosion and if the hole to the pressure sensing element is plugged, it won't work. You have to remove the sensor to clean it, but have to be careful because the sensor can be damaged if hit with too high a pressure (air hose or poking something in the sensor). It sounds like this is not your problems, mostly wiring and poor electronics is by guess. Again, would people be willing to replace the existing panel with a new panel? Does anyone have a number off the sensor?

Any insight anyone can give would be helpful relative to the problems you have. The system "should" be able to tell you the problem if you have a sensor problem, grounding, low voltage, a wiring problem and so forth but ONLY when a possible problem is detected. All your comments are correct, assuming it's not just poor wiring practices, you should not have all these problems.

Regards,
Don
C5Don is offline   Reply With Quote