Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Help - Sticking Gate valve

This is a fairly new Thetford black water tank gate valve....I installed it 4 years ago....the old original one was leaking. The new one is now sticking when I try to open it to do a dump. It started with a "slight" stick and now I can barely get it open. I am fearful of pulling the rod and handle out of the gate slide....that's my worse case fear. It is a pain in the asset to replace the valve and very, very involved. I have tried putting 1/2 cup of dish soap in the tank after I empty it to see if that will lubricate the seals.....but that hasn't helped. I'm now thinking something like Auto Transmission Fluid!! Has anyone tried that? All recommendations will be appreciated. I definitely DO NOT want to replace that valve!! Bill
Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I put some vegetable cooking oil (a cup or two) into the black tank to keep the valve lubricated after every dump. If you're putting enough in, the valve will get easier to open (and especially) close.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Also, Thetford sells a lube that you put in the tank.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote