Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Help selecting a macerator (or other type pump) for dumping on longer runs

I currently have my 2006 Airstream International CCD parked semi-permanently in my driveway as an auxiliary guesthouse. I am trying to find a pump/hose system to dump the black and greywater tanks into my home's sanitary line clean-out, which is approximately 65 feet away. It is at a similar elevation as my airstream. I am not thinking it makes sense to hard wire this pump, this is something I would set up when it is time to dump the tanks.

Anyone have any suggestions on what has enough power to move this waste that distance? I’ve seen a lot of posts around here about the Sewer Solutions kit, but I don’t think those can handle my distance. So that leaves me with a macerator I believe? Anything else I should be studying? Regarding macerators, I’ve looked all through this forum but I haven’t seen anyone with this exact issue or distance. Can a macerator handle this kind of load and run? What brand and model do you guys like? What kind of hose do I need to get? Any other special fittings required? Sorry for all of the questions, I’m quite new to the Airstream life!

Thanks all, any help is appreciated.
Fallcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I’ve been using a Flojet for the past few months for my 16. I have to dump about every 3 days and so far It hasn’t given me any trouble and does a good job. You just need a hose. 3/4 is preferred for less stress on the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Sewer Solution should work fine. My manual says it should work to 100’ even with a slight uphill.

I don’t have that far to go (~30’) so I use the the hose that came with the kit coupled to two 10’ sections of 1” pvc. Works for me.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The Sewer Solution should work fine. My manual says it should work to 100’ even with a slight uphill.

I don’t have that far to go (~30’) so I use the the hose that came with the kit coupled to two 10’ sections of 1” pvc. Works for me.
Thank you for your input. How long does it take you to empty the tanks? I understand it takes a little longer than the macerators?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I’ve been using a Flojet for the past few months for my 16. I have to dump about every 3 days and so far It hasn’t given me any trouble and does a good job. You just need a hose. 3/4 is preferred for less stress on the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I'll check that one out. As far as the 3/4" hose goes, can that just be a standard garden use that I (obviously) dedicate to that sole purpose?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
I have the Flojet and it works great. Nice and compact with a sturdy travel case. I used a ZeroG 5/8 and had no issues on a 30' run.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I have the sewer solution, I use it at home to pump it 95 feet and 6 inches up to the clean out. It's not speedy quick but it does the job and everything is rinsed out when its done and no wiring to mess with. Plus I use it while camping. It is fantastic for the rinse properties, the occasional uphill runs and the space considerations. Did I mention that it is clean and sanitary? So far it has always worked great even when a friend threw a few cosmetic wipes in the toilet...... I use Happy Camper which digests toilet paper so I never see any clumps.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallcolors View Post
Thank you for your input. How long does it take you to empty the tanks? I understand it takes a little longer than the macerators?

Depends on the pressure of the rinse hose. The water jet macerates everything and blows it down the line so more pressure, quicker emptying. I lived in Yellowstone all summer for many years and I’d mosey out once a week, hook the hose up to the sewer solution, fire up the water, pull the valve and go do something for 15 minutes or so and voila, all done.

For grey water, you just leave it hooked up with the valve open.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I use a SewerFlo RV macerator pump, purchased on Amazon. Attaches to the AS like your sewer hose. Connect to a 3/4 garden hose for discharge. I use my jump box for portable 12 volt power to run it.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I have the sewer solution, I use it at home to pump it 95 feet and 6 inches up to the clean out. It's not speedy quick but it does the job and everything is rinsed out when its done and no wiring to mess with. Plus I use it while camping. It is fantastic for the rinse properties, the occasional uphill runs and the space considerations. Did I mention that it is clean and sanitary? So far it has always worked great even when a friend threw a few cosmetic wipes in the toilet...... I use Happy Camper which digests toilet paper so I never see any clumps.
Hey there Bayou, I was curious - what hose exactly do you use for your setup? I ended up going with the SS and need a 75’ hose. How do you connect it to the SS system? Clamps? There aren’t any threads on the side of the SS where sewage exits the unit.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If it is semi permanent and the hose is not obvious, I suggest 1 inch pvc. I didn't do that I went with 100 feet of cheap clear flexible 1 inch hose from home depot, it was cheaper than the Valtec extension hoses. I used hose clamps and a plastic nipple to connect the 1 inch hose to the SS 3/4 hose. Garden hose it too small for the distance involved.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote