Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Help Needed ASAP - Black Tank Clogged

Just finishing up our Florida camping trip and now leave tomorrow for 3 days on the road back to NY. Unfortunately the black tank solids are clogged (the liquid goes out fine). Not sure what to do. So far we have poked a stick around from inside, added more chemicals and extra water to no avail.

We are leaving first thing in the AM so any advice now would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Constipated Tradewind in Florida
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Do you leave the drain valve open all the time or do you empty the black (and grey) only when full?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here's what we did when we bought a used argosy that had been stored for 10 years with a partially full tank. We put a couple of bags of Ice in the tank and and a gallon of water and towed the trailer for 3 hours. The ice breaks up the sludge and dumping was easy (gross but easy)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sounds like you are leaving the blak/grey valve open all the time while hooked to sewer. This is a giant No No! This is what creates the "black hills" problem that you describe.

Try closing the valve and add several gallons of fresh water and a half gallon of white vinegar. After you depart from the campground, stop and buy several bags of ice. Dump the ice into the tank via the toilet. Immediately start drive in such a manner to shake things up in the tank. Hit the road for a couple of hours and let things mix up really well. Stop and do a dump and monitor your progress. If necessary, repeat this process.

If this condition has existed for a long time, these tricks may not work. You may be looking at replacing your holding tank.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
sigv - As mentioned above, sounds like you've left your dump valves open while parked. The mistake isn't new, so don't beat yourself up too badly. The suggestions above are very good and should work for you. But I've also been told Camping World carries a product, usually in the area of the store that displays potty chemicals, that is designed to speed up the process of softening your "black hills". Most RV places also sell a "wand" that goes on the end of any water hose - you open the toilet bowl drain valve (from the inside of your trailer!!) & insert the "wand", open the spray valve & let it spray for quite a while. This might work best after trying the above suggestion first, ie to soften the "hills" before trying to force flush. Good luck & let us know what works for you.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Fill the black tank about half full of water, then add a cup of laundry detergent. Drive home. By the time you get to NY, the tank will be squeeky clean. Use only laundry detergent, unless you want to look like a bubble factory going down the road. Dish soap and other high-foaming soaps will bubble out the vent pipe. Laundry soap is low foaming. You could also do this to the gray tank at the same time.

have a good trip!

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
How about using one of those "toilet wands"?

Another expensive reason for NOT leaving the drain open: A piece of tissue was stuck in the valve, so last week at JC they cut out the bottom of the AS to repair the valve. I am not sure the valve was left open, but have to think that it was.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Looks like a good place to ask my black tank question...

The last day of our camping trip I always fill the toilet bowl with water multiple times and drain the tank viewing through my clear elbow on the dump valve (which my 6 year old seems to enjoy for some reason).

I keep filling with water via the toilet and dumping until only clear water comes out. It takes a while and is quite an ordeal. I should have put in one of those tank cleaners when I redid the black tank.

Anyway.. is this really neccessary? Can it only be done at the end of the season instead of each trip? How do you do it?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Looks like a good place to ask my black tank question...

The last day of our camping trip I always fill the toilet bowl with water multiple times and drain the tank viewing through my clear elbow on the dump valve (which my 6 year old seems to enjoy for some reason).

I keep filling with water via the toilet and dumping until only clear water comes out. It takes a while and is quite an ordeal. I should have put in one of those tank cleaners when I redid the black tank.

Anyway.. is this really neccessary? Can it only be done at the end of the season instead of each trip? How do you do it?

That sounds like just a little extra work in exchange for no problems later. Good idea.

Water sprayed blindly around a tank probably won't break loose hardened p*&p, IMHO. The soap and wave action will soften and dislodge any stuck matter, and leave a nice clean tank in the end,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
... Unfortunately the black tank solids are clogged (the liquid goes out fine). Not sure what to do...
dear constipated, here's your thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ank-31189.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
...I keep filling with water via the toilet and dumping until only clear water comes out. It takes a while and is quite an ordeal. I should have put in one of those tank cleaners when I redid the black tank...
safari tim...

here is yours...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/535569-post4.html

der poopin' flusher makes tank flushing fast and FUN!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I tried to clear away a 'black hills' situation with one of those wands you stick down in the toilet. Lets say there was a little 'splashback'! I don't recommend it. I would go with the ice for emergency situations. For my situation I was able to just let it sit for a month between trips with a tank full of water and a little rid-x. Flushed out clean as a whistle on the next dump! After that I just empty the tank and flush it out with a gallon of water, add another gallon after closing the valve, a few drops of rid-x, and go on about my merry way.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You want it done fast...and right?

Call a pro septic tank service. Its cheap, they do it right and you don't get the dirty job. You will be on the road in great shape.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I wasn't aware that a septic tank service could clean out a black tank. Currently my black tank is clogged and I have tried almost everything. I am not in a position to move it at the moment, and drive around, but I would like to hear more on a septic tank service, how do they deal with a black tank?
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote