Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Greywater drain pipe repair

I have a 1.5" black drain pipe in the rear compartment of my '77 Excella 500 that looks like the greywater drainage from the sink. It slopes down from left to right and connects into another series of pipes coming from the rear bath sink and tub. Sometime in the past, the center of this pipe either cracked and was repaired or the ends were glued to fixtures to the left and right and a larger black collar was slid over the pipe (possibly cut rather than broken) after cement was applied. I have a slight leak at this junction possibly caused by the built-in vacuum cleaner housing resting on this pipe. I found that the vacuum cleaner was not mounted but just resting there. How do you recommend I repair this slight leak?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is there anyway you could supply a picture? It would really help generate some responses. I could take a guess, but I would rather not.... but I will. The black/grey lines used in trailers is off the shelf fittings and pipe available at any home repair or RV store. I always recommend cutting out the defects and replacing it with new. Could be the vacuum was also removed at one time and never properly mounted again.

Patches are good to get you home or to stop immediate damage, but rarely a long term solution. If the previous owners of my current project would have fixed the water heater fitting leaks instead of using electrical tape and worm clamps, I would not have had to replace the entire rear floor. Oh well.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Greywater pipe repair

Bobby,
I posted a few more pictures in the photo gallery including a closeup of the greywater line I have been concerned with. You can see where the vacuum has been sitting on top of the pipe just to the right of the spliced area. It looks like the pipes are cemented into the lines to the far left and far right. I haven't had time to work on this yet. Craig

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Craig,

My reccomendation is cut out the bad junction and replace it with new pipe, fittings and glue. Parts, $10.00, piece of mind, priceless. You can use a wire pipe cutter if the space is too shallow to get a tool in there (3-4 bucks at a home depot or lowes). Once fixed you will know it is not going to leak there again. It seems odd that there was a vacum cleaner installed here. Usally I have seen them installed in a closet or cabinet in the middle of the coach.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Brett,
I have yet to see another coach with the exact same layout as mine. The service manual shows a vacuum in the rear compartment for a rear bath model for that year. It would have been nicer if it was in one of the closets, less weight on the rear because it is heavy. One curbside bed and one curbside flexsteel foldout couch doesn't give much sleeping room. With the table folded you have enough room for a large cot as an additional bed. Thanks for the suggestion because there is very little space behind the pipe.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end