Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Grey water sensor

Not sure if grey tank sensor has gone bad or is it stuck.

Two days ago the grey water sensor was green and then went to red and now it does not read at all. All other sensors appear to be working. I do not believe we have filled the tank as We have used only one half of our water supply between the black and grey tanks and have not used the shower.

Any ideas greatly appreciated
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Well, sounds like the exact symptoms that my system was experiencing, with the exception that it was my fresh water tank. In the owners manual (for the MicroPulse) there are detailed instruction on the procedures to reset a single tank. I attempted to reset just that tank, but it failed. So while at Airstream in Jackson Center for an alignment, I had their techs look at it. They also attempted to reset the sensor and concluded that it was a faulty sensor. Kind of glad they performed this task due to having to cut an access hole through the bottom of the AS to gain access to the sensor. They ensure that the new sensor was calibrated after installation. Since 2006, this is the first time I've had a problem with the monitoring system. Good luck.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Just replaced a faulty gray tank sensor in our 2013 25' Flying Cloud. Access is extremely easy--the sensors are mounted in the drain plumbing just before the gate valves, not the tanks themselves. A new sensor fixed the problem for me, got the part in Jackson Center under warranty when we recently passed through. I noticed that the out-of-warranty price at JC is about twice what you'd have to pay if you ordered the sensor direct from Catcon.
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the sensor, you might want to check the contacts on the cabling that is plugged into the sensor. It is a 4-conductor telephone-type connector and if road spray has gotten past the sealing cover, you may have some corrosion. It is difficult to clean but it might be worth a try. From experience, I can tell you that it is much easier to unscrew the sensor and remove it in order to try to clean the contacts. Don't forget to check the contacts on the plug itself too.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you both for your response. I will do a recall ration of the grey tank after I dumb it.
As to replacing the sensor can you please tell me where the drain plumbing is located. Wil I Ned to go under neath the trailer or is it located inside. Again thanks for the responses
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
On my 25' Flying Cloud the gray and black sensors are screwed into threaded adapters mounted on the drain pipes between the tanks and the two dump valves. The sensors are about 6" from each dump valve. I can access them by lying on the ground beside the trailer at the dump valves. If yours are like mine, you'll see two pieces of flexible conduit coming from the tanks to the sensors. There are covers on the sensors that, when pulled back, let you access the plugs so you can disconnect them. You may have to reseal the area where the wires go through the seals; the sealant on mine gave way when I worked on mine. You should put plumber's thread sealant on the sensor threads when you reinstall. Be careful not to tighten them too tight so that you don't crack the adapter that they screw into. ' hope this helps, but the configuration on your trailer could be different from mine.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you I will look to locate on our return home.
John
Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I could not wait so I took a quick look. I did se a black round bulb that looks similar to a primer on a small engine. It is attached by two screws. Is that what I am looking for
Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
sounds like it

Your description sounds like you found the sensor. The wires are in black plastic flex tubing leading to the sensor. It goes to the connector on the sensor. Use a socket to take that sensor out after disconnecting the wire.
If yours is like on my 28 International the black tank sensor is right opposite to the grey tank sensor. Its a good thing they made these accessible without cutting that cover on the bottom.
They should have made the belly pans sectional. I did that on the S.O.B. trailer I had. Added cross-members and made those sectional. No need to drop a whole cover.

I usually drain my tanks,, did you do that or keep some water in them? I'd like to know which is best ?
Have a good one
Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you I drain my tanks to include my fresh water tank after each trip. I do the fresh water tank because I don't want the water get stale or pick up a taste. I drain both tanks but add sme water and package of holding tank deorderant to the black tank
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I could not wait so I took a quick look. I did se a black round bulb that looks similar to a primer on a small engine. It is attached by two screws. Is that what I am looking for

That does not sound like a description of the sensors to me. There are no screws anywhere near the sensors on my unit, other than the screws that hold the LED light near the dump valves.
The sensors are easy to recognize if you have found the black plastic piping running from each waste tank. Just start at each gate/waste valve and work backwards towards the tanks. You should see the sensors mounted in/on those pipes--one sensor per tank.
Again--that is how it is on my 2013 model. Could be different on yours.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As I could not locate the sensor so I ended up calling Colonial AS to ask them where the sensor was located. They told me inside the tank and that they would need to cut an acces hold to get to it. I guess I will live without the sensor for awhile
Again my thanks to all for their input
John
Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Looks like they made a sensible change on the 2013 model. They are infinitely more accessible than on your 2012. However, I think the freshwater sensor is still accessible only by cutting the access hole. I hope it doesn't fail.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I will be dumping my tanks tomorrow so maybe it is just stuck if not I am going to live with out it for awhile.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I dumped my tanks and when I turned the sensors back on ththe grey tank was green. I am wondering if for some reason it got stuck. Will find our over the forth of July weekend
Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Well, sounds like the exact symptoms that my system was experiencing, with the exception that it was my fresh water tank. In the owners manual (for the MicroPulse) there are detailed instruction on the procedures to reset a single tank. I attempted to reset just that tank, but it failed. So while at Airstream in Jackson Center for an alignment, I had their techs look at it. They also attempted to reset the sensor and concluded that it was a faulty sensor. Kind of glad they performed this task due to having to cut an access hole through the bottom of the AS to gain access to the sensor. They ensure that the new sensor was calibrated after installation. Since 2006, this is the first time I've had a problem with the monitoring system. Good luck.
Really glad your sensor was fixed but ours went out just after we bought our 2006 Safari this year. It always shows full. Not happy to hear that the techs had to cut a hole to fix it. I was hoping it was more accessible. Where did they cut? The floor or the belly pan?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Really glad your sensor was fixed but ours went out just after we bought our 2006 Safari this year. It always shows full. Not happy to hear that the techs had to cut a hole to fix it. I was hoping it was more accessible. Where did they cut? The floor or the belly pan?
I'll go out and look. They took one tire off on the street side to make getting to the drill site for the hole. Photos will be forthcoming.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I dumped my tanks and when I turned the sensors back on ththe grey tank was green. I am wondering if for some reason it got stuck. Will find our over the forth of July weekend
That's killer, the sensor is not back where the drain valves are and accessible. If I had mine here, I would take a pic of it, (in storage).

Back over on another message board, when I owned another brand of trailer, it was popular to add calgon or culligan automatic dishwasher detergent ( the dry stuff). If you were not dumping at your campground and were going to dump on the way home at facilities at a truck stop, ( Loves) or a state rest area on the interstate. Some states have that option. The sloshing with the automatic dishwasher detergent supposedly kept it clean-er.

You could add a little water to the grey tank before you leave to camp and add some of that dishwasher detergent to it and let it slosh on the way to the campsite?
I have done that several times back in the day, but I never had any trouble with sensors. It didn't hurt anything that I know of, and I had that trailer 7 years. Give it a try, you don't have to cut anything

Have a good one!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Photo of access on my 23 foot Safari to replace fresh water tank sensor.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403556629.191396.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	214774
Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Photo of access on my 23 foot Safari to replace fresh water tank sensor.
That's on the port side, between the wheels? My nylon drain is there and I see yours but don't see the wheels. In any event, it looks like a serious job, more than I want to tackle. I'll wait until it has to go up to Ohio for something else.

Thanks for posting the pic, sorry if I put you to any trouble. Good information.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
It's behind the front wheel on the street side. In this photo, the tire is on the right side of the photo, but very hard to see because it's so dark. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403560161.808693.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	214779