Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Grey tank upgrade?

Has anyone ever put in a larger grey tank on a mid 70's AS? We have a '76 AS Ambassador and would like to put in a bigger grey tank but have no idea how it would be done. It currently has the original tank in it and I feel it is too small for just the 2 of us. I would like to go with a 20 or 30 gallon tank. The black tank is fine at 20 gallons as it is. $days, 3 nights and we didn't fill the black tank 3/8 of the way up, but the grey had to be dumped into a blue boy first thing on the 3rd morning. I would rather be able to go longer before having to use the blue boy.

SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I added a 21 gallon grey tank to my '74 Argosy 26'.
The new tank is located under the curb side twin bed.
When the original tank is full. I pump the contents into the new tank.
I did not modify any of the original grey water plumbing. I was able to to remove an existing cleanout plug and connect the new tank discharge with it's own dump valve to that fitting.
I now have 33 gallons of grey water capacity.

TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We added 2 grey tanks to our '72 when we renovated, ganged together so that they fill at the same rate. Gave us about 40 gallons? of grey capacity where we had none before. Our grey tanks are center trailer above the axles.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
My Ambassador is a rear bath model, but what you both have done is what I was kind of wanting to do. I feel if you have a 45 gallon FW tank your grey and black tanks should be big enough to hold that 45 gallons without having to dump before the FW is empty. So in my situation with a 20 gal BT, I would need at least 25 gal of GT capacity. But I do like the idea of at least 30-40 gal capacity for the GT since it fills faster then the BT (unless you get the stomach flu while camping).
TG Twinkie, How hard was it to install the 2nd tank and where did you put it? I like the idea of tieing it in with the factory tank, But my concern is how to cover the tank from road debris and elements.

Minno, I am wanting to try and keep it in the rear as much as possible since I have the rear bath, I have to replace the floor this winter in the bath area and would like to add the bigger tank or a second tank for my grey water. We have a 10-12 gallon tank now and would like to be able to spend a week with out having to tow the blue boy every couple days to the dump station. It kills my back to try and just roll the tank to the truck. Our blue boy is only 15 gallon, I think. It was my parents blue boy for a popup they had so I have no idea the gallon size of it, I can tell you it only has the 2 wheels on the one end and handle at the other.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The tank is located above the floor under the curb side bed. Thus the need for a pump.
When the original grey water tank is full. I connect the hose for the intake of the pump to the sewer outlet. Then open the grey water dump valve. Then start the pump. At 3 gallons a minute it takes about 4 minutes to empty the original tank into the new tank.
If you PM me with your email address I will send pics with a better explanation.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
TG Twinkie, PM sent to you. Curious to see how you did it. I would like to keep it underneath the trailer if possible though.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
TG, interesting set up you did on yours. Looks like you lost some storage space under that bed though. I would prefer to keep the storage space since I keep fishing gear under the one bed and other things under the other one. That is why I was wondering how to do it underneath the trailer in the belly pan. Either an add a tank of about 20-25 gallons linked to the original or a totally different tank that is at least 30 to 40 gallons in capacity.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It was decision time.
Take on a big job by removing the belly pan to gain access. Perhaps removing some of the flooring. Then spending untolled hours on my back under the coach.
OR
Continue dragging the Blue Boy to the dump station.

Since the fender well takes up about half of the storage space I figured it was worth the loss of space to gain more grey water storage.
The idea of a shallow tank under the floor does not appeal to me. There is very little head pressure when emptying the tank.
My 2015 SOB trailer has shallow holding tanks. They are difficult if not impossible to empty completely.
That was my logic at the time. I don't regret my decision.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. Putting a lot of grey water weight into the rear of the trailer would not be good. That's why our greys are in the middle of the trailer above the axles under the floor and in the belly pan to protect them. We did it during renovation when everything was ripped apart anyway. I don't think you would have to take out flooring. We had our new subfloor in when we did the grey tanks. But it is a lot of underneath work and you do need access through the belly pan.

Kay
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The auxillary grey tank sits directly above the axles. It is adjacent to the fender well on the curb side.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Seems there would be no need to have the aux tank filled when pulling the trailer?
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
That's the whole idea. To have a few days capacity when off full hookups.
Then stop at a dump station on your way out.
There are many state parks with electric only spaces.
They typically have a dump station. It can be quite the trek with a blue boy.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Silver Twinkie was talking in an earlier post about placing the grey tank in the rear when he replaces the bathroom floor this winter. My concern is about the weight added to the rear of that trailer with a grey and black in the rear.

Kay
Old 08-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Minno X 2
Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
My intention is to not travel with water in the tanks very long, To the closest dump station at the most. I do not pull it with water in any of the tanks at this time. Nor do I plan to in the near future. I fill my FW when I get to the park we are camping at and I drain it before (and while traveling) we leave along with both the grey and black tanks. I can't see a 20-30 gallon empty tank weighing that much more then a 10 gallon tank when it is empty. What maybe 20 -30 lbs more I hope.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
I was just thinking if I could use a tank the same width as the factory tank just longer to give us the extra capacity. That way it fit right beside the black tank but runs along the frame rail toward the axle. I am only wanting to add about 10-20 gallon more capacity. TG's solution was ingenues but I don't want to lose any storage space under the beds, and with the plumping and HVAC under the curb side bed I would have to use the roadside bed. In 4 days we did not even fill our black tank to half capacity but had to drain the grey tank twice. Thank God I took the blue boy, which is only maybe 5-10 gallons bigger then the onboard tank. I am starting to like FH much more than before when we had our pop up and tents. But some of the SP we want to visit do not have them so this is why I want to increase the grey capacity. If I had the spare cash to do it, I would just buy a bigger blue boy, Like a 30 gal or bigger that has wheels at both ends then the wife could pull it to the truck for me. The one we have only has wheel at one end.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
I went out and looked at our blue boy, it is a 15 gal tank. I also discovered that I did not empty it when we left the campground, that was 2 weeks ago. It has been sitting in the back of the truck this whole time with about 5 gallons of grey water in it. OOPS!! I will have to remember to empty it out after every trip from now on. Thank God we live out in BFE and I was able to just empty it out on the ground.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We travel with a full fresh water tank. Our early '70s trailer was designed to be more stable traveling with a full fresh tank. We also use our bathroom on the road when stopping at rest areas instead of the rest area bathroom. We have traveled with fluid in the grey and black tanks if we don't have a dump station available, and when traveling several days at a time. It isn't necessary to dump every day when traveling.

I have been to areas where I would not want to add the fresh water available to our tank due to odors, taste. I always taste the water before we add it to the tank.

Kay
Old 08-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Ours is a 76 Ambassador rear bath twin bed, The grey and black tanks are already in the rear and the FW is in front of the axles. I don't want to increase the black tank for just the 2 of us, only the grey tank cause my wife does not understand to limit the amount of water she uses. Our last outing I had to remind her to not let the water just run. She asked why they would build a trailer with a grey tank so small compared to the fresh tank. I have to say that went though my head too. This is when I decided to see what it would take to increase the grey tank capacity. I would still take the 15 gallon blue boy with us to be on the safe side ( looked ot our BB and seen it was a 15 gal unit). I am hoping to be able to put in a longer tank and not have to relocate the drain lines to hook it up.