Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

2008 25' International
Poulsbo , Washington
Gray Water Tank overflow

Our gray water tank (37 gallon)seems to fill up really fast and of course the tank monitors don’t work. We are only able to go about two day before the shower starts to back up. Today it hadn’t been that long, the shower backed up almost to the top and when I went out to drain the gray water tank we had water dripping underneath. I think we had an overflow.

Other than emptying the tanks and pouring gallon jugs of water down the Derain is there anyway to verify the capacity of my gray water tank?

Also is there any way to ven around the shower to make sure it gets completely dried out?
Fwrandall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have a 2013 25FB, and like yours, my tank monitors don't work. We have had it back up into the shower at least twice.

We (two of us) can go six days without filling the gray tank, but that is only with careful water use, like dumping dish water down the toilet, and not using the trailer shower. When we are camped for an extended time with full hookups, I dump the gray tank every two days to avoid filling the tank.

As for how to measure the capacity.....
--like you said, count measured buckets or jugs
--if your house has a water meter that measures to the gallon, you can run a hose into the trailer and read the meter
--there are cheap little meters you can get for the end of your garden hose
--you can measure how long it takes for your hose to fill a large bucket, and then time how long it takes to fill the tank.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
The big gray water tank fillers are long showers and lot's of dishwashing. We limit our showers to wet - off - lather - rinse. And we use a lot of paper plates. It confounds me that most campgrounds don't have convenient gray tank dumps but plenty of dumpsters. So, paper plates it is. When we do wash dishes, we use a collapsible wash tub and pour the waste water down the toilet to leave more room for shower water. There is a conservation learning curve. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote