Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Denver , Colorado
Gray Water Tank Instulation and Support Beams???

I have a 1972 Trade Wind that I'm looking to install a Gray water tank. I removed the belly pan and have the underneath exposed. The current support beams look like they are pretty rusted so I think I will cut them out and replace them while installing the tank. My question is the tank is going to be rather large and the cross supports are going to be in the way. What do you think about relocating the supports as to accommodate the tank or should I have the tank fabricated to accommodate the beams?

Thank You
coairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coairstream View Post
I have a 1972 Trade Wind that I'm looking to install a Gray water tank. I removed the belly pan and have the underneath exposed. The current support beams look like they are pretty rusted so I think I will cut them out and replace them while installing the tank. My question is the tank is going to be rather large and the cross supports are going to be in the way. What do you think about relocating the supports as to accommodate the tank or should I have the tank fabricated to accommodate the beams?

Thank You
Relocating crossmembers, has it's risks.

You must not relocated any crossmember that supports a seam in the floor. If you do, the seam will fail.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Denver , Colorado
Thanks Andy,
I take it I should have the tank fabricated around the beams? Any recommendations on were to get the tank?
coairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coairstream View Post
Thanks Andy,
I take it I should have the tank fabricated around the beams? Any recommendations on were to get the tank?
Your black water tank, sits between the main frame.

There are several appraoches to where to install a gray tank.

Generally speaking, it should be near the rear axle.

Or, if you change out the black tank, to a later model, you can have the black and gray tank, next to each other, and both going front to back, or, within the frame, one forward of the other, as in the later models.

Decide what you want to do, and come up with dimensions, "BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING." That will save you some measure of grief.

Once you have the dimensions, then you can shop around, for the tank or tanks.

Depending on whast you come up with, the tanks may still be available from Airstream. If not, then you will have to chase down a source, or locate someone that may have reproductions that match the sizes you need.

More than likely, you will wind up with after market tanks, that are made by tank manufacturers.

Use caution, with your design.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote