Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Coalmont , Colorado
gray water tank fixtures

Hi,
I'm toward the end of refurbing '65 22" Safari. Putting in a composting toilet so I can add gray water tank. When I bought the tank, I didn't have the entry and exit issues planned so no holes in tank. Can I just use ABS glue or epoxy or what is best to avoid possibility of leaks? Tks, Notyetshiny.
Notyetshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
The fittings for the tank itself either get spinwelded in or the hole is cut & then a rubber gasket is used between the tank & the fitting.
I'm not sure about gluing them directly to the tank.
I'm nearing the end of my refurbishment too. :-)
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Salt Lake City , Utah
It depends on the type of tank

You can buy some grommets like this one if your tank will work with them. Use the grommet to mark your floor and drill through the subfloor with the appropriately-sized hole hog. Then just drill the hole through the top of the tank and press the grommet in. You'll have to google (or call Icondirect who makes them) to see what adhesive to use. The vertical pipe just fits inside the riser on the grommet and gets tightened with a hose clamp.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/12484-Ic...BoCg34QAvD_BwE
KellySLC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Spin welding is usually the best way to go. The supplies are a bit spendy. Bulkhead fittings can be done, but you have to find a way to get the nut on the inside of the fitting and tighten it down ... can be tricky.

I suggest contacting the vendor you got the tanks from and getting their recommendations.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote