Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
SW , Missouri
Gray Tanks In Floor - Best Solution?

Has anyone here successfully added gray tanks in the floor of their caravel? I have seen it mentioned a few times on the forum but I have not seen any real world examples of this setup.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Not in a Caravel, but the same idea would work. Our Safari had 'no tanks' when we bought it....we added a black tank & (2) grey tanks. Check out the posts before & after the linked post for additional tank information.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
SW , Missouri
I assume by the size of your tanks that the tank sold by https://vintagetrailersupply.com/50-...-tank-vts-851/ is not a valid option?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Correct. We had custom sized tanks made to maximize the available space in the frame.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
You can always look at adding a small gray tank an valve system under any sink by linking into the drain pipe coming out of your sink.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , New York
Gray Tanks Installed in 1966 Caravel - '17

Peter417, I own a 1966 Caravel '17. As part of a shell-off restoration, I had two gray tanks added to my trailer. One-inch steel tubing was welded to the bottom of the chassis, along with some framing and the tanks are housed there with a metal strap across the middle. I've attached a photo.

Whether this was a "successful" install remains to be seen because the new pex plumbing lines, vent pipes and release valves have yet to be installed. That is on this weekend's agenda. We also will be running air into the tanks to verify that there is a solid connection between the two gray tanks.

Feel free to cross-reference the restoration of my Caravel. I plan to post an update after I am confident that we successfully installed the plumbing that makes all this work! https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Gray tank - IMG_9841 (2).jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	376393  
Flostream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
SW , Missouri
Thanks Flostream66. I have cruised through your thread. What is the capacity of that tank? I would like to see a few more details of that install if possible.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Thanks Flostream66. I have cruised through your thread. What is the capacity of that tank? I would like to see a few more details of that install if possible.
Here is a link to the VTS webpage offering this 16 gal tank for sale (currently out of stock): https://vintagetrailersupply.com/50-...-tank-vts-851/

I have two for a total of 32 gal of capacity. Yesterday I purchased a Garnet Seelevel tank monitoring system.

I don't have many photos that clearly delineate the tank build up but I will see if I have anything else. There are other threads on the Forums which show this process fairly clearly.

What model trailer do you have, Peter?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
I have a ‘65 caravel that only has a blank tank which I am replacing and moving so I can move my toilet placement. I looked into putting in a gray tank for a shower I will add...here is the solution very experienced renovators and I came up with... because a Caravel is so small, I don’t plan to boondock with it so I realized since I will more than likely be connected to sewer at RV parks, we decided to just directly connect my shower drain to the dumping pipe right before the outlet. That way I don’t need a gray tank since it goes directly into the sewer hookup. Obviously this only works if you don’t boondock but most Caravelers don’t die to limited capacity for that. Hope that helps!
cinesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinesilver View Post
I have a Ď65 caravel that only has a blank tank which I am replacing and moving so I can move my toilet placement. I looked into putting in a gray tank for a shower I will add...here is the solution very experienced renovators and I came up with... because a Caravel is so small, I donít plan to boondock with it so I realized since I will more than likely be connected to sewer at RV parks, we decided to just directly connect my shower drain to the dumping pipe right before the outlet. That way I donít need a gray tank since it goes directly into the sewer hookup. Obviously this only works if you donít boondock but most Caravelers donít die to limited capacity for that. Hope that helps!
Many of the great campgrounds have electric and water but not sewer. You are really limiting yourself with no gray tank
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
My 71’ came with an add on gray tank, below the belly pan just behind the axil. Holds about 25 gallons.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Many of the great campgrounds have electric and water but not sewer. You are really limiting yourself with no gray tank
I agree with Rafferty - which is why I wanted gray tanks...plus there is nothing more awkward that walking through a campground with a heavy "blue boy" filled with gray water!
Old 08-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We've added gray tanks in 2 trailers now - both were custom sized from VTS. In the Overlander a 15 gal gray tank was added above the floor in the bottom of the rear closet and both sinks were routed there. In the Globetrotter, a small gray tank was added directly under the kitchen sink. We opted to do this rather than place under the floor between frame members for several reasons but the primary reason was to keep them inside heated spaces for winter camping.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flostream66 View Post
Here is a link to the VTS webpage offering this 16 gal tank for sale (currently out of stock): https://vintagetrailersupply.com/50-...-tank-vts-851/

I have two for a total of 32 gal of capacity. Yesterday I purchased a Garnet Seelevel tank monitoring system.

I don't have many photos that clearly delineate the tank build up but I will see if I have anything else. There are other threads on the Forums which show this process fairly clearly.

I have been eyeballing that tank wondering if anyone was using it. I have limiting my search to the Caravel forum (I have a 66 btw). If this same process works for other models I will start digging into some other forums. That capacity would absolutely satisfy.

I guess my next question is how feasible is it to get these tanks in there from underneath?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
We 100% fall into this category. At state parks and many national parks around here we have electric most of the time, water often and sewer very rarely. This caravel needs to maintain it's self contained title.

With that said my current setup does have a small under sink tank for both sinks. Increased shower functionality is what we are after.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
Well based on your responses, I guess I have a fairly narrow experience...yes, I guess I am limiting myself- but then again I did state that in my response. I‘m a single gal who travels with good china and crystal and Persian carpets so glamping is indeed more my style...I merely wanted to offer my input in case someone else like me never travels anywhere without full hookups! Not everyone has the same approach so I thought I’d try to contribute. Good luck!!!
cinesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flostream66 View Post

Flostream66 I'm curious how your going to mount the Seelevel senders on that tank (I have the same tank (2) in my 58). The tank is 3-7/8" tall and the minimum length of a 710-JS sender is 4". Seelevel installation states:

The sender ends should be 1/4Ē to 3/4Ē away from the top and
bottom of the tank, to allow for the thickness of the tank top and
bottom and any bows in them (see the diagrams). The senders
are calibrated to account for this distance from the bottom of the
tank.

I plan on adding a small ear to the top of the tank to get more than the minimum 4" for mounting the sender and deal with the error on the display. Of course I plan to experiment with this when the tank is out to see if I get semi correct readings. I have the added issue of frame rails only 4" tall, so a slot will have to be cut in the subfloor to clear the ear/sender. Not a big deal just more complexity.

How do you plan to deal with the dimensions?

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , New York
Customizing the SeeLevel Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
Flostream66 I'm curious how your going to mount the Seelevel senders on that tank (I have the same tank (2) in my 58). The tank is 3-7/8" tall and the minimum length of a 710-JS sender is 4". Seelevel installation states:

The sender ends should be 1/4Ē to 3/4Ē away from the top and
bottom of the tank, to allow for the thickness of the tank top and
bottom and any bows in them (see the diagrams). The senders
are calibrated to account for this distance from the bottom of the
tank.

I plan on adding a small ear to the top of the tank to get more than the minimum 4" for mounting the sender and deal with the error on the display. Of course I plan to experiment with this when the tank is out to see if I get semi correct readings. I have the added issue of frame rails only 4" tall, so a slot will have to be cut in the subfloor to clear the ear/sender. Not a big deal just more complexity.

How do you plan to deal with the dimensions?

I ordered two 6-inch tank tapes (and 1 12"). They each can be cut off in 1-inch increments. I called Garnet (spoke with Candy, who is very knowledgeable about the product) and I conferred with the Master Mechanic who is helping me with the renno, and they both confirmed that the 4" strip will work on the VTS tank. Candy suggested that we "test" the strips before permanently installing them, by taping them to a bucket, so we are going to do that, leaving the 1/8" at the bottom to hang free - remember, the critical measurement on this tank is the level at the top, not the bottom. So, you could even cut the strip to 3" and that would give you the read you need as the liquids get close to the "full" mark. If we decide to go in a different direction, I will send you a photo - and please share a photo of the "ear" you are planning to design. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I've recontacted Garnet (email) for clarification. When I queried them a couple years ago I got a different answer on cutting to 3". If allowed that makes installation simple. At 4" if you space down to get below the top layer of the tank and any bows, as the directions indicate, you have more than an 1/8" below the tank.

Not disagreeing with you, just want to make sure we're getting a good solution for all of us.

I planned on welding (plastic welding) an ear to create a 4"+ high face to mount the sender to. Don't have photo or drawing, just a future project item.

We usually just do short trips (especially this year) so having a readout on our 2 GW tanks isn't critical.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , New York
Thanks, Harold - let me know what you find out. I spoke with Candy. She is very knowledge about this product and super helpful.