RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Gray tank in belly

Hi all, I'm converting our '77 Argosy from rear bath to mid-bath. In order to do so, I'll need to put the gray tank bewteen the axels. This should be a plus for weight distribution and get rid of the typical rear-end separation.

However, I'm running into a problem with plumbing the actual tank. I have about 5" to work with under the subfloor, but I also know I need to have the shower/sinks flow into the tank from the top, which means I probably need something like 2-3" for that plumbing.

What is the best solution here, has anyone done their gray tank fully under the sub-floor? And if so, what was your solution for this issue?

I've already got the shell off and frame structure ready for rust prevention, so any type of solution is in the cards at this point.

Thanks!
nickknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

 
1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,708
I donít think you have to drain into the top of the tank. If your shower drain is at the top of your subfloor, you can place a short 90, place a Hepvo trap and drain into the side of the tank. The water will fill the tank up to the level of the drain. The Hepvo will disallow water to back into the shower. I have two 16 gallon tanks that are connected low on the sides. Both tanks will fill with the shower connected to the side. Water seeks its own level, so both tanks have equal levels. I got the idea from Colin Hyde. I may have pictures on our renovation thread. Iím sure someone else can explain it more clearly. By the way, our chassis frame is only 4Ē. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
SSquared's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 837
On my 2013 25FB, the floor of the shower is a few inches higher than the main floor. The drain goes into a P trap, then has a near-horizontal run aft for a couple of feet, then an elbow, then another near-horizontal run to a T which dumps into the top of the gray tank. So that's another way to do it.



BTW, the T has an air admittance valve on top (which gets dirty water splashed up into it if I tow with a full gray tank).
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 458
I just did this...

I just installed a 25 gallon grey tank in my 72 safari a few months back, I basically plumbed the shower drain to the grey tank but at its highest point from the side that I could put it. I also have a hepvo valve which I haven't installed to my shower drain yet. That should help with any back flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	383718  
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
57Vintage's Avatar

 
1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 588
Images: 22
I agree with Bubba, you can put your fittings on the side. On my 2 GW tanks I have fittings on both top and side. They're both below the sub-floor.

Also keep in mind that if headroom allows, you could raise your shower tray a little. Considering how much shorter these drain lines are vs. a house, a fraction of an inch can offer a solution. I had to raise my tub 3/4" to get enough slope on the drain line.

Just a note about my experience with the Hepvo traps. I found that water could leak back into the bath tub. I think it was a unique combination of a full GW tank and traveling over mountain grades. The drain goes into the rear corner of the GW tank and all that water created enough pressure for a little leakage. It's only happened once, but to make sure I added a Valterra valve to the drain line that I close when we're on the road. No big deal.
__________________
Harold & Rebecca

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

 
1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
I agree with Bubba, you can put your fittings on the side. On my 2 GW tanks I have fittings on both top and side. They're both below the sub-floor.

Also keep in mind that if headroom allows, you could raise your shower tray a little. Considering how much shorter these drain lines are vs. a house, a fraction of an inch can offer a solution. I had to raise my tub 3/4" to get enough slope on the drain line.

Just a note about my experience with the Hepvo traps. I found that water could leak back into the bath tub. I think it was a unique combination of a full GW tank and traveling over mountain grades. The drain goes into the rear corner of the GW tank and all that water created enough pressure for a little leakage. It's only happened once, but to make sure I added a Valterra valve to the drain line that I close when we're on the road. No big deal.
Now you have me thinking Harold. I havenít really used the shower, but maybe Iíll add a ball valve underneath just in case. I have the shower piping to the gray tank covered with a piece of the belly pan installed with rivnuts in the event I need to replace the Hepvo. Thanks for the heads up.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
57Vintage's Avatar

 
1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 588
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Now you have me thinking Harold. I havenít really used the shower, but maybe Iíll add a ball valve underneath just in case. I have the shower piping to the gray tank covered with a piece of the belly pan installed with rivnuts in the event I need to replace the Hepvo. Thanks for the heads up.
Hope you can install somewhere easily accessible. Mine's under the curb side twin bed.
__________________
Harold & Rebecca

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Lots of great information here... thank you all! Seems like HepVO is the way to go. One last question is where would I locate the dump valve for a mid-bath? Is there any reason it needs to be super close to the tank? Or can I run the pipe to the back of the trailer where the previous one came through the bumper? If it helps, I’m using a composting toilet, so no black tank.
nickknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
57Vintage's Avatar

 
1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 588
Images: 22
As long as you get sufficient slope go wherever you want. Without a tank in the rear I'd tend to want the drain closer to the tank. Less chance of damage in case you accidently drag the bumper on the ground. Probably not real close to wheels in case they throw up road debris.

If you don't have a sewer hose yet, or plan to replace, I'd suggest looking at Lippert's system. They don't use ears to secure the hose it's a cam lock fitting.

http://drainmaster.com/rv/products/full-view/100187
__________________
Harold & Rebecca

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 458
If you put the dump valve in back you'll have extra grey water space within the pipes to use.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Lots of great information here... thank you all! Seems like HepVO is the way to go. One last question is where would I locate the dump valve for a mid-bath? Is there any reason it needs to be super close to the tank? Or can I run the pipe to the back of the trailer where the previous one came through the bumper? If it helps, Iím using a composting toilet, so no black tank.
Hey nicknack I also have a composting toilet, a Natures Head which I diverted the urine into my grey tank. Just a thought....
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
If you put the dump valve in back you'll have extra grey water space within the pipes to use.
My thoughts exactly!
nickknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
Hey nicknack I also have a composting toilet, a Natures Head which I diverted the urine into my grey tank. Just a thought....
I was planning on doing the same... great minds and all!
nickknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 458
If you need any help pm me and you can pick my brain on how I set everything up while it’s still fresh up in the ole noggin but you better hurry it’s fading fast
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Topeka , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 19
By chance do you have more pictures of your tank installation? I'm wanting to put GW tanks in my 1971 25' Tradewind.
Blues Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
 
2005 22' Interstate
New Braunfels , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Vent Location?

The vent location will determine the fill level of the tank. If you have a vent at the top of the tank it can fill completely.
DougE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for advice on installing gray belly wrap. Re-Pete Belly Pans & Banana Wraps 8 12-13-2018 09:31 PM
Belly Pan, No Belly Pan DryFly General Repair Forum 33 10-07-2018 08:41 PM
Tank level monitor suggestions for new black/gray tank redreefet Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 5 06-28-2012 07:39 PM
Extra 67 tradewind blackwater tank, gray water tank poezlaw Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 0 01-17-2011 10:19 PM
Anybody know if a black tank will fit in the gray tank space on my TT? Aage Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 9 02-24-2010 05:13 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.