Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
SARASOTA , Florida
Gray & Black Split?

I have a 2019 16' Bambi Sport. Is there a way to split the gray water discharge so that it doesn't go into the black tank? Also, about how many days should I expect the holding tank to last before it needs dumping assuming no showers? Many of our favorite parks do not have sewer hookups on site, and I am considering a portable tank (but don't like the idea). Thanks.
ADMIRALPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Perhaps I do not understand your question. They should be separate from the factory.

There should be two waste valves. One valve for the gray tank and one valve for the black tank.

The gray tank should not drain into the black tank. And same with the black tank, it should not drain into the gray tank...

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Is it just the bathroom sink draining into the black tank? Some are plumbed that way… If so, it would be difficult to replumb it. If it is everything (kitchen, shower, bathroom) something is wrong.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Check the A-S specs. On a 16, it is a common tank. There are other non A-S trailers set up the same way.
To the OP, the plumbing changes would be tricky. Many people wash their dishes in a basin. A 5 gal bucket would serve to accumulate the gray volume for trips to the nearest slop sink.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
A bowl in the sink is great too.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Smithville , Tn
I’m 3 days into a 4 day trip at a ACE campground in Tn in my Caravel 16 as we speak. No showers, regular light use of the sink and normal use of the toilet for two people and were at 55% right now. I’d say 5 days conserving and 4 washing dishes inside, etc. and no showers. We wash our dishes outside in a collapsible sink when weather allows. In some scenarios under a week I will hook up and run dump before the trip is over but that’s what I work to avoid.
Bhmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Check the A-S specs. On a 16, it is a common tank. There are other non A-S trailers set up the same way.
To the OP, the plumbing changes would be tricky. Many people wash their dishes in a basin. A 5 gal bucket would serve to accumulate the gray volume for trips to the nearest slop sink.
We've done a lot of boondocking in our 2019 International Signature, with upgraded lithium batteries and a 300W of solar panels on the roof. The first thing we would run out of is grey water tank space, typically after two days. We've never filled the black tank to capacity. Airstream needs to adjust their designs.

However, once we started using a plastic basin in our kitchen sink to catch dishwater, we've been able to extend grey water capacity to 3-4 days. And battery power has never been an issue.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would rather tow the trailer to the dump station than fool with a portable tank.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
16 ft has only one (combined) tank. We can go two or three days being careful, and with me using the park facilities. Wash dishes in a plastic tub and dump that out-doors. Don't even think of using the wet bath shower. We sponge bath using a plastic tub behind the privacy curtain. We carried a blue boy when I had the pickup but with my Jeep we;re just going to be careful and fortunately the small trailer takes less time to hook up and make that dump run every few days. The tote is actually quite useful. Y0u just need to take your time towing it to the dump station.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
We've done a lot of boondocking in our 2019 International Signature, with upgraded lithium batteries and a 300W of solar panels on the roof. The first thing we would run out of is grey water tank space, typically after two days. We've never filled the black tank to capacity. Airstream needs to adjust their designs.
We always dumped dish water into the black tank (Toilet) to extend grey water capacity. Many others have posted this advice in previous posts.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
As was mentioned, if you wash dishes with a basin or bowl inside, dump that waste water into the toilet. Black tank doesn't fill as quickly as the gray and the extra water helps to dissolve the stuff in the black tank. We just finished 5 days with city water and we had 35% on the black tank, 45% on the gray. With that there were 3 showers and quite a few dishes.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
JCWDCW, Atwebs,
Good advice, but not for the original poster, who is camping in a 16’ Bambi with a combined tank.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
When you have a combined tank there is not an easy way to do it. It would require removing the combined tank replacing it with a gray and a black tank and redoing most of the gray plumbing and adding a vent for the new tank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote