Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Murchison , All over the US
Fresh Water Emptying/Leaking Out Bottom

Hi everyone, I have a few issues with my "new to me" 2010 25' International. After filling the FW tank, the water continuously empties through the holes in the bottom of the black protective pan that the tank sits in, until it is completely empty after a day or two. The flow of the water out if the bottom is stronger when the tanks are completely full, and slows to more of a trickle until it's empty. The FW monitor reads full, and then steadily lowers as the draining progresses. The water pump has no water around it, and works when turned on (there is water pressure to sink and shower).

Is there a valve that I haven't found?

I don't know how the water could leak from the top (I'm assuming that's where all of the connections are) continuously until it's empty. It seems like a crack in the actual tank. :-(

I tried to research on here and found a few similar threads, but am unclear if I have missed something.

The previous owner said this never happened to him before, and I believe him.

Thank you all in advance!

Chris

P.S. Other issues (I may need to post under a different topic):

The water heater won't light. There appears to be some debris (dobber nest, dirt, etc).

The furnace worked, I left and came back and it was off. Now it won't turn back on.

LP tanks are full and the stove works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161123_145154.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	275857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161123_153220.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	275858  

Davis Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
The connections on your FW tank are at the bottom on the side, there is a small section of clear tubing going from the FW tank to the white petcock used to drain the FW tank. This small section of tubing has leaked on several of my units causing a leak exactly how you described it. Go through the bottom of the closet in the "center" of your unit, there will be a lift out bottom, or a small panel with a couple of screws. It is not easy to extend your arms down to where I'm talking about and you will need a flashlight, but that is where I would start the diagnosis of the leak.
Good luck!

Clean out the tubes(check other posts) in furnace and water heater and they will probably work fine.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That looks familiar, I over-pressurized our tank filling it last spring with too big a hose stuck in the fill hole, too much water pressure, and almost no room for air to escape.

It broke one of the fittings molded onto the tank and we had the tank replaced at Jackson Center. The tank was inexpensive but the labor hours quite high, well over $1000 total labor/materials.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Murchison , All over the US
Thank you both for such quick replies!

I bought an extended service policy with the company I financed through. Can I take it to any dealer, even non Airstream, for service?
Davis Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
In my situation one of the plastic welded fittings cracked resulting in a slow leak. The entire tank needs to be replaced. It took the mothership 2-3 weeks to send out a new tank and another 2 weeks before the dealer actually started on replacing the tank. Still waiting. I am not sure what cracked the fittings so I am assuming it was the rough roads that we sometimes encounter.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If a fitting cracks away from the tank it's not always necessary to replace the tank. I fixed mine by locating the problem fitting then resealed it with a product called G-Flex. I applied it to my dry tank and fitting in several layers over two days. This was several years ago and so far I'm pleased with the results, no leaks at all. I found out about the product from a person on this forum called Jammer. Thanks Jammer!

Here is a link to the stuff I used that worked:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...6+Hardener+Kit
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
Our fresh water tank drain tap sprung a leak enroute across the Yukon. Yes, some highways better than others, but the view is breathtaking.

On our return home our dealer (CANAM RV) recommended removing the drain tap completely (they say they have done this for many AS's and never had a winter fresh water tank freeze, draining the tank with the pump when winterizing) and sealing up the tap location.

We agreed. Time will tell!

If you know otherwise, tell us please.
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
As was said before check under the cover in the wardrobe to determine where it is leaking. Our 23fb was leaking where the fitting to feed the pump was screwed into the tank. The fittings for the drain and the pump are pipe threads. The hole in the tank is drilled a bit smaller that the fitting that is welded to the tank so when the threaded fitting is screwed into the tank it can bottom out. If screwed too tight it can put pressure on the weld and crack it. If this is the problem and the tank needs replaced lots of pipe dope and not over tightening the fittings are a must on the new tank. Ours was probably over tightened at the factory.
Ste and Bre is offline   Reply With Quote