RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
The Woodlands , Texas
Embarrassing Dumping Question for Newbie

Hello Again Everyone,

Sorry for this question but got confused with some messages and wanted to clear it out.

Is it allowed to dump a black tank into a full hook up site? It was my understanding that this was a no no, and that this was only for gray water.
Davidmtz1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmtz1981 View Post
Hello Again Everyone,

Is it allowed to dump a black tank into a full hook up site? It was my understanding that this was a no no, and that this was only for gray water.

YES.

That’s what it’s for.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Yes, that is what the sewer line is for.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Hello Again Everyone,

Sorry for this question but got confused with some messages and wanted to clear it out.

If the full hookups offer sewer, then you can dump both tanks.....unless there is a provision in the sites agreement that you don't.

Every site we have been to in Rhode Island and Massachusetts had no restrictions....so IMO, if it's there, have at it.

Others will offer their experience.......

There are no dumb questions here.......ask away if search has not provided the insight your looking for.......we were all noobs once.......and better to ask....than mess up the trailer.

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Yes that is what you are paying for.

You may be confused because the campground might also have a dump station as well. This sometimes is required by local codes. Or it may be for use by campers at that campground who are not at a full hook up site, or for boaters to dump their portable tanks that they use on-board.

There are a lot of videos on youtube showing the way to do this.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Some sites in GA have drains scattered around the campground labeled “For Graywater Only!” These are for dumping basins of dishwater, etc. Is that what you were thinking of? There’s no mistaking them for a “hook your slinky up here” sewer connection.
Since you (didn’t) asked, many rest stops have closed their dump stations because campers (never Airstream owners, I’m sure) would “mummify” the contents of their black tanks with harsh, formaldehyde containing treatments. Those same chemicals would clobber all the active bacteria in the septic system, effectively shutting it down. The same holds for ANY system. Check your waste treatment chemical label for assurances that it will not harm a septic field. There are many effective, safe choices. My wife buys some kind if lavender scented tablets made by Waltek (?). Available at Walmart or Camping World.
Happy Camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As others have said - yes, it's okay to dump your black tank at your full-hook-up campsite, that's what it's there for.

Your confusion may lie in other discussions where people advise to keep your black valve closed until your tank is 50-75%+/- full before dumping and not just leave it open while in your campsite. This is advisable so you don't develop a "cone" of solids while letting the liquids run out. Its always better to keep the liquid with the solids & fill your tank with extra water before dumping whether at your own full-hook-up site or a dump station.

It's okay to leave your grey valve open when parked in a full-hook-up site because you don't have the potential for a "solid cone" to accumulate...however, we usually save up our grey water before a black tank dump to "clean" the black water from the hose after dumping the black - dump the black, then follow with the grey.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you ever *do* happen on a "full hookup" site that does not allow black water .... ask for a refund The term as normally used means you can dump both black and gray. We have never come across a full hookup site that restricted black water.

What you *might* very rarely run into is a (no hookup) site that allows gray water (but not black) to be dumped through a hose onto the ground / into a ditch. Fifty years ago, this was pretty much how everybody did it. There are rare cases in the US where it is still allowed. In other countries they may do it like we do now or like we once did it. Very much a "that depends" sort of thing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not remember ever seeing a site with a full hookup that restricted dumping the black tank. I have seen one that filled up and did not go when I dumped. Damn!
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
What "INSIDEOUT" said.....
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Yes it's allowed unless otherwise posted. If you're not sure ask the camp host. But, don't make the mistake of leaving the black and gray valves open while hooked up. It's very nasty and will cause you all types of problems. I have encountered a few newbies that go that route. I never hook up the hose unless I am dumping.

Have a Good Day
MC
Old 01-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Yes, but note, you don't want to just leave your black tank valve open for the duration of the stay, I usually let mine get above 50% before I dump, and yes still use toilet treatment each dump! Leaving it open can cause solids to build up in your tank and not flush out properly, plus you can also get sewer gas and sewer flies from the drain back into your tanks.

I usually use the hose and create a trap drop part and raise part before it goes in so that odor and flies cant get back into the tank and leave my gray water open to drain (especially since covid we've been using our unit for showers more often).

Hope that helps!
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McKinney , Texas
Black Tank Dump

Quote:
Hello Again Everyone,

BOMBS AWAY BABY!!!!!!Dump that mess at the full hook up site!😊
D-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Davidmtz1981,
Just to be clear you did pay for a full hookup site, not a water electric only site? If you were to try to use a vacant full service site on the way out and had not paid for it that would be a no-no...IMHO
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One other point simply to be complete:

This time of year in some parts of the country it gets cold out. No this does not apply to everybody

If it's going to freeze or if the ground is frozen, you don't want to leave the drain valves open all the time. Let the black and gray tanks both fill up a good ways while you stay warm in your RV. Every couple days do a "dump" into the provided sewer connection. Once that dump is done, disconnect the hose and empty it out. This way next time, you will not be dealing with ice blocking the hose.

The same basic drill applies to fresh water under these conditions. Fill your onboard water tank and disconnect the hose. Empty the hose out and store it.

Understand that in theses same odd parts of the country (in the winter), "full hookup" may not mean you have water at the site. It *might* also mean you don't have sewer either. Very much worth checking on before you plan your visit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
BOMBS AWAY BABY!!!!!!Dump that mess at the full hook up site!😊
I like the direct approach!
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
Dumping

Dump black water in a full hook up site? Well, until you have more experience I would ask. There are many places to park out here and many differant situations. No one here can tell you for sure about any certain place, unless the are there.

Most, unless posted is yes. But, if there is a mistake, just tell them you got your information here. It will quickly become obvious. Park owners realize we have a difficult time backing in without running over the trees. Ha

One point I will make is, try to let your tanks get at least 50% full to help carry out any solids. And, if your tank valve starts to leak or does not close good , check for a piece of paper stuck in the seal grove. When your grey tank starts giving funny readings, do the Happy Camper Extreme and follow the directions.

Finally, and yes, I am long winded. If the valves are sticky, empty and pour a whole bottle of the valve lubricator stuff in with about 2 gallons of water and slosh around. I like to then leave the cap on and work Only one valve before draining the lube out.

Do not mix tanks or open Grey and Black at the same time unless you are selling it. Ha, Ha

Living the Dream.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
As a new adventurer (sounds better than newbie) another tip for hookups is to not leave your black tank release "open" just because you are hooked up. And and I would suggest no leaving your gray open either.

Connect to the sewer and then when internal tank levels dictate (50% or more full I'd say) flush the blank tank first followed by the gray tank.

Leaving the tanks open can let smells back up into the rig and also leave only solids in the blank tank and require additional work on flushing.

Before leaving the site, if able, use your black tank flush while also hooked up. Make sure you have two water hoses. One for clean drinking water (typically they are blue or white) and one for the blank tank flush (brown, black or green). If your rig does not have a put in tank flush (where you connect a hose to the outside) you can stick a hose down your toilet.

Make sure you store your hoses in separate areas and always wash your hands after handling the black tank flush hose or sewer hose. Many people find wearing disposable gloves improves the experience.

Good luck and have fun!

P.S. Im new myself and have never actually done any of these things yet, just watched a ton of youtube videos and stayed at a holiday in express last night, lol.
FreeBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Lake Hawkins RV Park near Tyler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
What you *might* very rarely run into is a (no hookup) site that allows gray water (but not black) to be dumped through a hose onto the ground / into a ditch. Fifty years ago, this was pretty much how everybody did it. There are rare cases in the US where it is still allowed.
Just a side note, this campground is one that does allow the gray water to be dumped into a ditch. I thought it might be a problem, but it wasn't. The key thing is that the sites are widely spaced and there is a sandy ravine for the gray water. So the water just percolated away. We kept our dump valve open so there was never a chance for the water to get *stinky* plus, I wiped food off the dishes before washing. I'm explaining this so people don't think, "Well, it used to be done that way so I can just dump my fermenting gray tank in this crowded campground." Not that any of us would ever do that!
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Yes, that is what it for. The correct way to do this is leave your grey tank connected to the sewer until black tank is over 1/2 full, then dump black tank, then hook grey hose back up. Best of both worlds.
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote