RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Early fiberglass black tank plumbing mods and questions

So a few strange things about the black tank on our 1961 TradeWind:

1) Placement. It is on the curb (passenger) side while pretty much all dump stations and full hook-ups sites have are on the street (driver's side)
2) It has a 2" outlet hole. This is quite small.

I was able to salvage the Thetford brass attachment plate under the black tank by getting three of the four 1/4"/20 screws out and tapping the fourth for 5/16". I have figured out how to adapt to modern plumbing.

I plan to run a 3" ABS or PVC pipe under the trailer belly pan after coming off the brass plate with a 45 degree elbow (from the exact spot where the original valve was located, just under the tank). In theory, this will increase the (relatively) small fiberglass tank's holding capacity by a few gallons. I will then put the Valterra dump valve on the street side of the trailer, somewhere close behind the tire.

In theory, this would protect the valve a bit, as it is closer to the tire and further front from the bumper and it will have more ground clearance. It will also place the dump valve on the "proper" side of the trailer.

When putting deodorizer in the tank, how will it work with addition of the underbelly pipe? Would I have to sacrifice that capacity anyway by filling the pipe with water until the water reached the bottom of the actual tank to make the deodorizer effective? Or would its sweet smelling power just rise with the contents as it worked its way toward the actual tank?

See diagram. Interesting how I really drew a wide body here. But I think it gets the point across.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-tank-diagram.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	386867  
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
So a few strange things about the black tank on our 1961 TradeWind:

1) Placement. It is on the curb (passenger) side while pretty much all dump stations and full hook-ups sites have are on the street (driver's side)
2) It has a 2" outlet hole. This is quite small.

I was able to salvage the Thetford brass attachment plate under the black tank by getting three of the four 1/4"/20 screws out and tapping the fourth for 5/16". I have figured out how to adapt to modern plumbing.

I plan to run a 3" ABS or PVC pipe under the trailer belly pan after coming off the brass plate with a 45 degree elbow (from the exact spot where the original valve was located, just under the tank). In theory, this will increase the (relatively) small fiberglass tank's holding capacity by a few gallons. I will then put the Valterra dump valve on the street side of the trailer, somewhere close behind the tire.

In theory, this would protect the valve a bit, as it is closer to the tire and further front from the bumper and it will have more ground clearance. It will also place the dump valve on the "proper" side of the trailer.

When putting deodorizer in the tank, how will it work with addition of the underbelly pipe? Would I have to sacrifice that capacity anyway by filling the pipe with water until the water reached the bottom of the actual tank to make the deodorizer effective? Or would its sweet smelling power just rise with the contents as it worked its way toward the actual tank?

See diagram. Interesting how I really drew a wide body here. But I think it gets the point across.

Some thoughts.

1. You need at least ⅛” fall per foot. ¼” is probably better. Therefore a shorter pipe might be easier. What about going to the street side in as short a run as possible?

2. 2” is very small. Try to avoid putting toilet paper in the toilet.

3. I can’t comment on using deodorizer because I never use it. We’ve almost never experienced tank odours.

This looks like a good solution to an unconventional tank placement.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rapid City , South Dakota
I am interested in trying to make a female hose fitting for my 61 Bambi and would like a male fitting that has been removed. Do you want to sell your original black water valve? Thanks
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you thought of leaving the dump valve location where it is and just using a longer slinky-hose when hooked-up & dumping? Seems it would circumvent the concern for it being below the belly pan/dragging & how the chemicals would be distributed.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fander View Post
I am interested in trying to make a female hose fitting for my 61 Bambi and would like a male fitting that has been removed. Do you want to sell your original black water valve? Thanks

I have no use for it, so, sure. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss.

Are you actually going to try to stick with all original Thetford fittings, etc? That is dedication! I also have some of the aluminum caps and adapters if you'd like them.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Have you thought of leaving the dump valve location where it is and just using a longer slinky-hose when hooked-up & dumping? Seems it would circumvent the concern for it being below the belly pan/dragging & how the chemicals would be distributed.

Shari

Of course, I have considered this as well. Mounting the new adapter and valve directly to the tank worked great on our '64. I thought of modifying this one because of tank placement and possibly adding capacity. I am not married to the idea.

I may even have a new, larger tank made. I was just seeing what other vintage renovators thought of this idea.