Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Thumbs up Dumping help

I have a 95 30' motorhome and am not able to knee to connect dump hook-up and pull the valve handles down. Would appreciate ideas for modification to bring hookup closer to edge so I can hook up by just bending over. Worried that any permanent attachment would be too close to the ground. Thanks for any help.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The best recommendation I can make would be to have a macerator pump system permanently installed with a retractable hose reel at waist height. These systems are fairly common in larger high-end motorhomes. They are costly to install and take up a good deal of space but they do work. Take a look at sani-con systems. I would guess you'd be looking at around $1000 of parts and labor if you have a dealer do the work.

Sportsmobile's vans use a similar system without the retractable hose reel, which might be something to consider too. It would use less space and cost maybe a little less.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
If you can still connect the dump hose then you might want to just convert the dump handles to electric. We had one of these on our trailer.

Barker makes a electric add on. Barker_Home

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
No way I can connect hoses without deep knee bends and bending, would kneel but out of question at most places, I would opt for the maserator with electric valves. I wouldn't want an open system depending on the maserator to hold back black water. If both valves were open it would mix black with the grey. A maserator at lowest level with self coiling hose or an automatic rewinding reel.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
I want to thank you all for suggestions. Taking RV in tomorrow and will discuss them with my RV guy. As I travel solo, I do have to solve this problem. My standard poodle is no help on this one.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I too am finding that the older I get the further away the ground gets. 6 years ago both my hips were replaced. Probably to my surgeons chagrin I discovered that by doing a reverse push up from a chair/stool and the reverse I could get down and up from the floor/ ground. I had to replace a black tank plus other maintainaince needs under the trailer and vehicles. After 6 years now my hips are pretty secure in place but now my knees are the challenge. I solved my problem of installing and removing my scissor wheel chocks by converting a jack handle to reach down to perform this manuever. Sounds like some of the suggestions here for you may work for you. My point is that you are NOT letting a handicap from detering you from enjoying your life. Ya think maybe a trained dog could help?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Neil, what's a jack handle?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Having a problem of my own with fused bones in my ankles following foot surgery, coupled with arthritic knees, I understand your concerns; I can kneel, painfully, but can't squat or stand on tiptoes. Here's a possible non-modification solution: Carry a folding camp stool, and sit on it to do your hookups and drain your holding tanks. That's what I do. Cabela's makes a nice one: item number IK-550276, cost $12.99. If standing up from the stool is a problem, attach a grab bar to the side of your rig near your hookups, so you can grip it to help yourself up. If you just need the grab bar as a balance point and won't put your full weight on it, a suction-cup mount would work fine, but if you support your weight on it, then permanently attach a folding grab bar.

Come to think of it, if you alter things so you only bend over to do the hookups and operate the valves, the grab bar is still a good idea.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRVing View Post
Neil, what's a jack handle?
Mine is a 3/4" dia. pipe, about 2' in length used to fit into an hydrualic jack. I drilled a hole in one end of it and bolted a stove bolt in the hole leaving an inch protrunding. I drilled a hole in the handles of my chocks for the stove bolt to hook into. If a photo will help I'll post one for you. I doubt this 'tool' will help you with your hose hook up frustration. I only posted this solution for me to illustrate that there is a solution for you.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote