Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Dump Valve Seal Leaking

Yesterday was third time this year I dumped from my combination black and grey water tank, first two x no issues. This last time I removed the cap and about a quart of effluent gushed. I don’t think the pull handle was partially pulled for this to happen. Looking for others that may have experienced this issue and how to correct it. Thanks.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I think I'd watch to see what it does the next two or three dumps before deciding what to do. It could have been the valve wasn't fully closed or there was an obstruction keeping the valve from fully seating. An obstruction might wash out on it's own over time and resolve the issue. I've had toilet tissue prevent sealing before but it fixed itself.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
I had the same issue but I don’t have combined tanks. When I removed my cap a cup or a little more of treated black tank water (orange water due to orange colored treatment packets we use) would pour out when I was ready to dump. Based on that I knew the issue was with the black tank Valterra valve. I replaced the valve myself and the leak appears to have stopped. I also took the opportunity to replace the cap.
The fit is very tight and I am thankful my wife was able to provide some extra traction on the pipes because fitting the valve and rubber seals back together was tricky.
I inspected the old valve and there was some debris in the area where the blade slides closed plus the seals looked bad. These just wear out over time.
There are other threads on this topic and some YouTube videos showing the replacement process.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Things you can do: Hope it is just something stuck in the valve. Clean the valve with a hose from the outside. Put valve lubricant in the tank and work the valves. Make sure the valve is traveling the full distance freely. Or finally replace either the whole valve or put in new seals. This leakage is not an uncommon problem but it needs to be dealt with. And there is a valve available that snaps onto the outlet to help you deal with it until it gets fixed.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
You can also buy a clear cap to avoid surprises, and with a hose fitting on it so you can let it into a bucket.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Valves exposed or hidden behind a pan?

Got a pic to share of the valves. If exposed can be pretty easy to disassemble valves, inspect blade, clean, maybe new blade seals and move on.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I think I'd watch to see what it does the next two or three dumps before deciding what to do. It could have been the valve wasn't fully closed or there was an obstruction keeping the valve from fully seating. An obstruction might wash out on it's own over time and resolve the issue. I've had toilet tissue prevent sealing before but it fixed itself.

I concur
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Valves exposed or hidden behind a pan?

Got a pic to share of the valves. If exposed can be pretty easy to disassemble valves, inspect blade, clean, maybe new blade seals and move on.

Photo attached. Someone suggested a clear cap which I ordered, and I’ll carry a bucket, I’ll see if this continues to be a problem. You think this is an easy replacement? Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	401298
Old 08-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Easy, well at least it's not covered by a pan.

It's a Valterra this is their replacement seals. https://www.valterra.com/product-cat...a-valve-seals/

The valve might be glued in to the fittings that gets a bit nasty but if yiou can remove the contents and flush well then disassemble the valve see the four bolts, then the center of the valve can be removed from the flanges of the valve. Clean, inspect the sliding blade for dings and grooves. If all good install new seals and button it up. Might be not too bad.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Your setup will be easier than mine. It’s pretty easy to replace but you might need an extra set of hands the pull the pipes apart as to reposition the assembly without crimping the seals or losing proper seal alignment. I watched mine for several months including trying the seal lubricant down the tank and the leak never resolved so I just went for the replacement. Hopefully prevented a catastrophe.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
My black seal was leaking, when I disassembled it seemed to have hardened mineral deposits on it. I just replaced with a new seal and plenty of silicone grease. Trailer was about 4 years old when problem appeared so I assume it’s a maintenance issue and I keep a spare seal on hand.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
My black tank valve was leaking too. My solution was to empty and flush the tank, then put five gallons of soapy water in it through the toilet. When the soapy water was in, and with the cap on, open the valve so it's completely submerged in the soapy water. My Airstream was in storage then so I let it soak for about a week, opening and closing the valve a few times each day.

When I drained all the water out and recharged the tank with chemicals, no more leaks.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
My black tank valve was leaking too. My solution was to empty and flush the tank, then put five gallons of soapy water in it through the toilet. When the soapy water was in, and with the cap on, open the valve so it's completely submerged in the soapy water. My Airstream was in storage then so I let it soak for about a week, opening and closing the valve a few times each day.

When I drained all the water out and recharged the tank with chemicals, no more leaks.

Randy

That’s interesting to hear and echoes some older posts I’d forgotten…thanks for this Randy!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have found toilet paper can block the valve closing completely. I place toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Thanks! everyone for these solutions, I’ll try simpler and work my way from there. I have a feeling it’s a piece of debris that’s causing the problem, as I said earlier two x dumping this season were not a problem, seems like a gasket wouldn’t deteriorate in the last several weeks.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
a cap valve

If you don't have the time or someone to help, you can find a valve that replaces the outside cap. It operates the same way as the permanent valves.
You pull to open and push to close. It worked great for me until I had the time to replace the valve.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote