Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Drainmaster System Anyone?

I have just installed the new Drainmaster hose system on my trailer and I am VERY impressed with the service and the quality of the product. There is no doubt that their cam system is MUCH slicker than Valterra's. The connect-up process uses a cam-lock which makes a positive seal without the eventual wearing of the four little prongs. The hose is beyond durable and doesn't have the slinky metal end that eventually punctures the hose. The end that plugs into the campground has a very cool valve process and a clear plastic view port so you can see when the effluent is clear. Granted, it is expensive, but I figure the less likelihood of bacterial conflagration is probably worth it. Here's their link. Will post a photo soon. Sewer Hose Systems | Drain Master
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Interesting. Having worked with camloc in oilfield I know it is reliable and positive. Worth looking in to.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Another (Sewer) Solution looking for a problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
St Cloud , Florida
Nice! I like it. I think I will order one.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Another (Sewer) Solution looking for a problem.
^
X2

TeeHee

Sewer hose or a stop at the petrol station...ummm

Bob
Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
(Since I started this)...the folks at Drainmaster are VERY helpful. After the install, I noticed that they also make an adapter that will let you go from their system back to Valterra if you had to do that. I'll carry this adapter with me "just in case." The quality of this system (particularly the hose and cam lock mechanism), is about 1000 per cent more rugged than the standard stinky slinky, that despite all my best efforts -- never seems to get completely cleaned out. Will report back on how Drainmaster performs when I'm on the road.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Very interesting.....I just ordered a Waste Master adapter kit. When it arrives I'll post a few pics of the install & put in my 2 cents! Looking forward to a nice quality set-up that's simple.
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Waste Master retro-install

Well, I was so impressed with what I saw on Drain Masters site that I went ahead and ordered their Waste Master kit to replace the Thetford fitting on our 2001 Limited and permanently adapt to the "Cam-Loc" system.
You can currently only order their products from the company's webpage, "Straight from the manufacturer" as they like to say. Which is good, because if you were to add any mark-up onto the cost of this system and it becomes a pretty hard sell!
I'll start by saying I'm by no means a "seasoned pro" when it comes to RV's, but also I'm no idiot. What I was looking for was a good quality, reliable, durable system to manage what is probably the least attractive part of RV-ing.
Here's what I got......

Made by Drain Master, it's their Waste Master Cam Loc Adapter kit P/N 5703
Sewer Hose Systems | Drain Master
Ordered on 06/25 Shipped on 06/26 and received on 07/02 via UPS shipping w/ tracking # & insurance.
In a nut shell, it is what you need to convert your existing system to their "cam-loc" system. (I'll let you do your own research on what "cam-loc" is and what & why you should look into it)
I am also going to cover my ass here and say do your own due diligence before starting this conversion. Using THIS particular kit involves cutting your factory supplied waste fitting off the Airstream and gluing a new one on. I'm not saying it will/will not fit on your particular model of Airstream or any other brand of trailer. I'm saying it fit on MINE! Do your homework before ordering and before cutting anything. Ok, so.....

The above pic is straight out of the box (more or less) and my first impression is 1. this thing is nice 2. why is it industrial green?

Regardless, I read through the supplied literature(which is really pretty basic) and the install is straight forward. The fitting in between the hose above is the one that will replace whatever type of fitting you have on your waste pipe. The inside diameter of the supplied fitting is 3.5" , meaning your waste pipe coming out of your Airstream needs to have the same outside diameter of 3.5". (these are standard ABS 3" pipe sizes) The supplied adapter fitting is a collared fitting & will fit over & around your waste pipe. (and it IS made of ABS also)

In a nut shell, you will need to verify all the pipe diameters are correct, make sure there will be room for the fitting levers to fully engage/disengage when it is in its final position, cut off the existing end fitting with a fine toothed hacksaw blade, clean up both ends, apply ABS glue, and wait for glue to set up ( 30 secs.) BAM!
Ok, that process actually took me about an hour. BUT, I was pretty nervous about cutting off the end. All in all, however , it really WAS that simple.

Before...Single waste pipe, Thetford fitting, black & grey dump valves...

After the cut, file the edges down to "smooth" it all out and clean with a good cleaner to remove all dirt or grease. The cut doesn't have to be perfectly vertical, but as close as you can manage is best!

Before gluing, dry fit and make sure you have enough room for the levers to move fully both ways. On my particular set-up I was able to install the fitting with the levers "level" to the ground. But it was close. If need be, one can turn the fitting slightly to be sure there is no interference with the levers.

Make sure you use an ABS specific glue. Put a rag below the fitting and be sure to use LOTS of it on both the fitting and the pipe. You dont want to miss any coverage inside the pipe and remember.... this stuff sets up fast and permanent! Hence, the importance of measuring & dry fitting everything beforehand. If you make a mistake here, you will be ordering a new fitting and most likely buying some new pipe & fittings to correct your mistake.

Basic tools only, nothing too fancy. Looking back, I should have just opted for a hand powered hacksaw as opposed to the dewalt. It was kind of tight quarters.

And here is my final product. We are semi-permanent where we are, that is why the 4" PVC "wrap" is around it (to protect it from the UV rays and the weed wacker guy.

I have literally ZERO experience with any other type of waste drain system, so maybe my review is a bit biased. The quality of the Waste master, to me seems well above average. the Cam-Loc fitting fastens easily and positively. There has been no leaking from either the fitting end or the swivel dump end.
The o-ring inside the fitting attached to the Airstream (the only o-ring) is easily replaceable and available from the manufacturer. (Order an extra, just in case ...) Also, there is a cap attached to a chain that attaches to the fitting on the Airstream, so when your not using the hose you can seal up the pipe for travel or storage.
The hose itself is clearly the heavy duty variety and will most likely last quite some time with proper care. ( I love it when manufacturers demonstrate their tough hoses by dragging them across gravel)
The "head" as I call it, (the end that makes the sewer connection) uses a soft rubber gasket (donut) to seal the sewer connection and works better than I figured it would. The ball valve shut off in the head is nice & tight and works smoothly. I foresee using the shutoff on days when the grounds crew are here mowing & trimming. Instead of flushing out the hose, just close the shutoff & remove from sewer connection ? Honestly I think the "business" end of the hose is a bit of overkill, but I'm hoping someday I'll see the need for the nicely constructed piece of engineering.
On a scale of 1-10, overall I would give it a 10
I'll "re-review" in 6 months or so and update if necessary.
It has given me peace of mind concerning the "unfortunate" necessity of the item itself. That alone helps justify the cost for me. It is an adaptable system with additional hose links available (5'-16' hose comes included) a variety of replacement parts, an adapter that converts the discharge fitting back to a standard Valterra type, among other small goodies available.
Just felt like putting in my 2 cents concerning this "new" and upcoming product. As you can see, I'm impressed with it!
For those interested.... $172.23 shipped to the door as of 06/26/2013
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
OK, so I started this thread....here's the "field tested " report. (And a big shootout to truxpin for his detail on the install....he used a Thetford, but for the rest of us Valterra folks, it's the same process, cut off waste pipe right behind the four nubs, glue on the new head from Drainmaster with ABS cement and you're done. ANYWAY, I did a 4 day 4th of July trip up to the Shenandoah with my son and can report that the Drainmaster performed flawlessly. VERY easy to set up as cam locks seat tightly, no twisting, absolutely positive seal. The sewer end also worked flawlessly. Since I had also installed electric drain valves with switches inside my trailer, I could look out the window at the clear section of the drainpipe and know when both the black and gray tanks were completely empty. Did not have to use the extension section that I purchased when I bought the Drainmaster, but it's available for the inevitable day when the sewer is too far from the parking spot. This is an expensive add-on, but it will last a LOT longer than the Valterra and stinky slinky.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I installed my drainmaster last month and am thoroughly impressed with this product. Is it expensive? I don't think so, when you compare the utility and construction to the competition. Isn't that why we bought an Airstream; there's certainly cheaper TT's on the market, no?
I just ordered the storage tube/box #5709 and will attempt to install it ahead of the axles.
Excellent product!
Ron

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
1 year review since install

Good timing Ron. I see it's been just over a year since I did my install, and let me say...I'm still impressed!
Granted, we've only moved the trailer once. We were in a local RV park when installed and a month later we moved to some property in the country. So i cannot fully say we've been putting in through the "rigors" of full time traveling, BUT it has been "in service" full time for the last year and has performed day in day out without us having to give it a second thought. No leaking seals, no leaking o-rings, no broken handles, levers, No issues at all.
The only minor notation is after a year the valve head is starting to fade due to UV exposure, not bad but noticeable. Unlike the hose which spends it's life inside some 4"PVC pipe, hiding from UV rays and still looks brand new! In hindsight i really should have used some of that Aerospace UV protectant on it.

I'm still giving it a 10 for rating. It has performed without fail now for over a year and I expect it will continue for many more, making the initial cost what i'm going to call a "sound investment"

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Sorry to bump such an old thread but....

Does the Drainmaster head/hose system fit in the rear bumper?

Does the 5817 kit come with a cap for the cam-loc end of the hose?

Ron, how did the install go of the 5709 storage tube/box? Do you happen to have pictures of the final install?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Corey
Yes it fits in the rear bumper.
Andy thinks there will be no problem putting the 5709 under the trailer.
No it doesn't come with a cap.
So far I don't see the need for it: especially once I have the 5709 installed.
Remember that for now I made a bayonet/camloc adapter to use the drainmaster without modifying my RV. I will be modifying my new Classic so I won't need the adapter.

Its the best sewer hose I've used so far.

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ ok, makes sense.....I assumed you bought that adapter so you could use a standard bayonet hose with your cam lock as an emergency backup (more compatible to other RV hoses). I'm going to figure out the best shipping route (Canada vs US border) and make a purchase. Preparing to bend over for shipping rates
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
No you got it wrong. What you're talking about is a 5629; that allows you to use a standard hose with the female camloc fitting now permanently on the RV.
I made an adapter myself that allows you to use the drainmaster system with the normal bayonet fitting on an unmodified RV.

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
I'll consider this set up after they change the waste nozzle connection to the hose.

I wrote Doug at Drainmaster last July and got the following response:

1) What's the outside diameter of the hose? I'm curious if it will fit the "EZ-Hose Carrier" under the trailer which has an inside diameter of 4.5 inches.

The hose is 3" and will fit in a hose carrier; the issue is the nozzle will not.

2) I read the instructions about how to change the waste nozzle. I wondered if you could design this for a faster change/disconnect; i.e. maybe using Cam Locs?

We have a design using small Cam Locs, but that will not happen for at least a year.

3) At certain places I camp, I need to use a portable electric macerator pump (FloJet) or the "Sewer Solution" which require a bayonet fitting. Once I permanently install your adapter do you have any suggestions how I could use these bayonet items?

You will need to purchase our part# 5629
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I asked the second question...re: nozzle swap with cams. They told me they have no plans in the works for that type of change to the current design.

That doesn't bother me, I ordered one yesterday. Initially I'm going to use my bumper storage and I'll see how it goes. If I feel the custom storage locker is required I'll order it separately, there was no benefit on shipping to combine items.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Cory
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Did you order the adapter in case you have to use an ordinary hose?

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
Cory
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Did you order the adapter in case you have to use an ordinary hose?

No, skipped it....flying by the seat of my pants
Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Since I started this thread, here's a couple year user update: this system has worked incredibly well. I've only needed to use my extension hose once, but would've been in trouble without it. (I did modify the belly pan PVC by putting a longer section in to hold the whole thing...easy and cheap mod.) Somehow, I lost the cap that locks in -- despite it being on a stainless steel chain. I called Doug and he sent me a replacement -- gratis. How cool is it that you talk to the guy who INVENTED the device. The good news? His company has been acquired -- though he will still run it -- and this will give him market extension and capital to grow. I LOVE IT when a small business guy has a terrific product, makes it a success and heads for the American dream.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21