Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Do you use holding tank chemicals?

When I first started out, I use to put holding tank chemicals in after each dump. Then about a year or so ago, I decided to see what would happen if I didn't use any and I found no difference in odor.

Since I'm fulltiming and I'm not storing the trailer between usage may help(not sitting idle for a few weeks at a time). I also use my black water tank flush each time I dump.

Just wondering how you all handle this????
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
That's how it should work. you shouldn't need anything if everything's vented properly. maybe some of that enzymatic stuff that helps move the process of disolving things along....toxic chems used to cover up smells only pollute. What goes into that tank is the world's most biodegradable substance, if you just let it be.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Didn't you know? We Airstreamers don't have to use black tank chemicals, because .... ours don't stink!

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No

I no longer use anything when the trailer is in use. If I happen touse the facilities when it is in the storage yard, I drop in a "Potty-Toddy-Tab" to aid in decomposition. I have a half-bottle of the tabs left over from the old days when I always used chemicals.

I never have any odor problems.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We do use a deoderizer, (non formeldahyde) if there is something in the tank between uses. Most of the time we have a "clean" tank between trips.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

We have never found a need for anything in the grey water tank. For a weekend trip, we use nothing in the black either. For a longer stay, I do add a little Rid-X. Seems to work great.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Tank chemicals

I don't use anything. Seems to work just fine.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
no reason for chemicals in either the black or gray tanks if properly maintained.

see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ng/sewage.html
for some ideas, tips, and links.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We normally have used an additive (environmently friendly) in our tank. As a matter of fact after dumping the tank prior to heading for home we usually add another treatment and add a gallon or so of water.

This year for the first time we started skipping that final step and found that we were getting nats growing a colony in the tank. When we would take the trailer out of storage the first few uses of the toilet found nats coming out when we flushed the toilet.

So we went back to adding the holding tank stuff before we departed for home. No nats on next use. It seems like the water in the tank with some chemical added keeps the bugs out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Holding Tank Treatment

Our Safari is our first RV and when we received our dealer walk-through and orientation, we were given a complimentary trailer starter kit, which included some holding tank treatment samples. We were told that it is a good idea to add the treatment with a gallon of water to each tank. We then picked up a 68-oz. jug of Odorlos (No formaldehyde) from Campland and have been using it after each dump of the tanks (black and gray).

It seems to be working just fine. We have never had any trouble with odors. (rluhr may be on to something… see his note above). And we liked the idea that this product breaks down waste/tissue and lubricates valves.

We now have run out of the stuff and were looking for this product locally when we realized that there were a number of products on the local shelves at Wal-Mart and our local RV store (but not Odorlos). I also just became aware of the importance to the environment to use a non-formaldehyde treatment product.

So I thought… well that’s typical… every aspect of this trailer has required some research so that I had a chance to "get-it-right" the first time. While using the search engine here, I noticed that there were some who were having a problem with sewer odors. For example, TBRich:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/sewer-odors-fantastic-fan-36371.html
And I thought it was curious that he did not say if he used holding tank treatments.

And then I found this thread… and I was amazed that most did not put treatments in their tanks!

But I was also equally amazed that the last post here was four years ago.
So now I think its about time to "bump the thread" and ask:

Do you use holding tank chemicals, treatments?

And, if so, why and what do you use?

And if not, why?

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
...But I was also equally amazed that the last post here was [B]four years ago....
maybe that's because there is a black tank 'full' of annual threads on this topic...

with many details, so check the 'poop' sheets...

yes 'nothing' works, enzymes work, bacteria+enzymes work...

soapy water transferred to the black tank mucks up the process.

cleaning with chlorine mucks up the process.

parked units may need digestives, those trailers that are on the 'go' usually don't.

the 2-3 top tier products are still top tier...

not many new or different products, virtually NO ONE uses formaldehyde products anymore....

i've not seen formaldehyde products on a rv vendor shelf in years...

the 'f' issue was big 20 years ago but still gets playing time.

and the truth is many of the 'non-f' products have other agents that are equally bad.

the old sailing adage of 'don't put anything IN the toilet that you haven't eaten first' still applies.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
I have used chemicals for 8 years and no odors. I also completely rinse out both tanks then add some water and chemicals before leaving for home where the rig would be sitting until the next trip.
Brian
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We rinse our black tank thoroughly every time we dump it. We still use a "blue pill". We just loike the smell and feel bettewr about it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
depends on what i been drinkin, and what the cure was...

holy burn *ss mexican grub?,

i'd be usin wally world special tank lala fume,

if you get my drift.

under the covers!

KEVBO
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I still seldom use chemicals whjen at rallies and the like where the tanks will be in use for only a few days. For longer periods, I still use the "Potty Toddy Tabs" or some liquid. I buy whatever is on the shelves the cheapest at Wally Mart or Camping World.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, 2air’, RIstream’n, Moosetags, Kevbo10, & Pahaska for your input here.

There may be a bucket full of "poop" threads that mention this subject…

But none are titled as succinctly as this thread and as easily spotted by the search engine.

And yet, because of its location here, this thread was active for only 2 hrs. & 2 min. before it quickly succumbed in the murky depths by other threads four years ago. It was "alive" hardly long enough to show an accurate picture of the use of holding tank chemicals by our community. Up until its resuscitation yesterday, the thread was showing that most did not use chemicals in their tanks. I have a hunch that the opposite is true.

So I thought it’s about time this question be put in the Community Polls format:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232/do-you-use-holding-tank-chemicals-36842.html#post463859

Please take a moment to take the poll and add your comments.

This question joins its companion question there, "Which Chemicals Do You Prefer?"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232/chemicals-do-you-prefer-21998.html

BTW… a correction to my post #10 on page 1 here: We bought Odorlos from Camping World.

Also, BTW, I did see on the shelves at our local trailer supply store several holding tank treatment products that contained Formaldehyde. And I was bewildered.

Hopefully now, with the help of the forums, it will be easier for newbies to make an intelligent decision on the use of chemicals in their tanks.

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote