Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Hard to say from this pic, but I THINK I see the waste plumbing connector just forward of the bumper.

I was about to say how cherry it looked... then I looked again. The side panel by the water heater is one big patch... see the non-standard (and looks like it has a gap too) seam just aft the waterheater door? Paint match is just a tad off too.... I think those brown stripes (which is not orginal.. but looks ok) are painted to camo the patch.

The whole trailer looks to have been painted prior to the patch... notice the window frames and upper light bezels are in raw aluminum... that's not stock. A body paint isn't so bad (the Argosy paint was known to flake off)... but that patch and the bungled lower trim infront and just of the rear of the waterheater seems to indicate something happened in that location. Overall, it looks nice from this angle though...

Any other pics?
Has a newer AC unit on top, judging by the rear lights.. I'd say a 78.
Interior pics would really let us know what's happening in the bathroom.
Marc
Good catch Marc -

I blew up the picture with Internet Exploder and that "patch" looks very badly put on, almost looks like it was overlayed on top of the original panel. Plus the two-tone stipe (above the dark brown) running from the taillight to the front on the same side looks wrinkled, like it is add-on over the top also?

Since you mentioned this is long distance, sight unseen, I would be very hesitant to make the purchase, unless you're getting it for a steal of a price (under $1,000). Maybe the owner can answer some of the questions for you, VIN # to verify year, clean/clear title, exterior repairs/panel issues, black tank, etc? Perhaps he meant no grey tank, as it appears from the picture to be an actual toilet, not a portable camp potty.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
I spoke to the owners prior to starting this thread and honestly believe they told me all they know of its prior history. I don't think that they're aware of any of these questionable items. At this point, all these little things add up and tell me I should stay away from this one...especially when I'm 1000 miles away. I'm really picky and not knowing the "why's or how's" of its non-original modifications would drive me crazy (by the way, I can't find where I wrote down the VIN #).

I will probably give them a courtesy call and let them know I've moved on. I'll let them know of our little study as well. Thank you all for your knowledge sharing...I really appreciate it.

How about we move on to discussing the 26' Argosy on E-bay....she looks really clean!!!!!...and Virginia is not too far to get to from Connecticut! The owner says it looks like it was painted due to a little evidence of overspray. Axles look pretty good from the picture. I prefer a double-double but they don't seem to come around as much.

E-bay is a blessing and a curse...a ton of merchandise to look at but the auction format can get you in trouble. This one ends tomorrow, let me know what you think.

Duff
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think this one is missing an access door by the fridge on the street side. That may or may not be hard to come by. Call Inland RV for an idea of cost.
Pretty much orginal... figure you'll need a new fridge, AC, inverter, etc eventually.
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
The Fridge access door is on the curb side. The door isn't vented because they put holes on the floor of the fridge compartment to do the venting.

At least my '77 Argosy 24 is that way....
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Smile Done Deal...I've made it!!

Well.....I did it....I bought the Argosy 26 on E-bay from Virginia. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to post my excitement in a new thread in the Argosy folder.
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
1973 Argosy 20

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
This looks very similar to my 1973 Argosy 20, except my 20' has only one axle. I don't believe that mine has a grey water tank, there is no valve in the side of the bumper compartment, but the black water valve is in the bumper compartment.
oops, a little late, I didn't notice the second page of comments
Argosy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
24' ?

It looks like a 24 footer, because of the tandem axle. The blackwater tank is under the platform that the toilet sits on. If it is like my '74 26' Argosy, the dump valve is inside the compartment/bumper. My trailers discharge is on the curb side just forward of the bumper. Yours may be in the center rear, pointing straight down. Operate the toilet flushing mechanism and and look into the hole with a flashlight, you should see the bottom of the tank , if it is empty. The tank in my Argosy is a pale green color.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Both of my slide valve pulls are at the exit point just before the bumper on my 78.

......I'd be interested to see the vin #, that would tell all !
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote