Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Buffalo , New York
Cost of main and auxiliary holding tank replacement

Has anyone had experience with changing out the holding tanks on late model Classics? My 2007 34’ has a main that my wife considers disgusting as it appears the previous owners were less than fastidious. Your thoughts would be appreciated with respect to potential replacement costs...I’m not going there. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The tanks would be in the $350 each. The labor to install would be much greater. $2500 wouldn't surprise. There are ways you could make your tanks cleaner for a lot less money. I like the recipe where you fill the tank about half full, pour in about 10 pounds of ice cubes, add some good detergent, and take your Airstream for a ride down a curvy, bumpy road for an hour or so. Drain tank and repeat as needed. Do the gray tank at the same time, except there is no good way to add the ice. The cubes do act as an effective agitator.

Good black tank maintenance includes keeping it wet, like 5 gallons of water in there, while towing and camping.

I changed out the dump valves on my 86 Limited 34'. I was close to having the tanks out, but getting to the drain and vent connections would be a bear for me. I did not need to remove them for my project.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1205 New PVC Drain Manifold.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	305201  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
Has anyone had experience with changing out the holding tanks on late model Classics? My 2007 34’ has a main that my wife considers disgusting as it appears the previous owners were less than fastidious. Your thoughts would be appreciated with respect to potential replacement costs...I’m not going there. Thanks.
Unless they are cracked and leaking there is no rational reason to replace those tanks.

Clean out any solid material by filling/soaking for a day or two/dumping/flushing. Then repeat and repeat .... till the tanks look clean. When you shine a flashlight into the toilet, looking into the black tank you should see gray/black plastic tank bottom. If there is anything built up and stuck in that spot you might have to break it up with a broom handle or a tank flushing wand.

Then sterilize/sanitize the tanks using chlorine bleach/water mix (a couple cups of bleach and fill the tank with water). Soak over night. After doing that the tanks will be as sanitary as a new tank.

GEO method for RV waste tanks is used for regular maintenance to keep the waste tanks sanitary and odor free.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

ps:
A new toilet is a couple hundred $. That might make wife happy. She can't see the tanks.