Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

composting vs. incineration

I had my mind made up on purchasing a composting toilet then stumbled upon the incinolet, an electric incineration toilet using standard 120. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two systems, or any opinion as to which will be the easiest and most reliable.

Thanks,

Darin
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Odor Problem!

Years ago, I had continuing maintenance problems with an electric toilet. Odor was one of the huge problems, and element replacement was another.

I would wonder about the reservoir size. Too small a reservoir could limit your boondocking activities. In addition, the electric element might put your existing electrical service "over the top" as far as amperage requirements go.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Airstream used to have a device that would spray the black tank stuff on to the car's muffler
Does anyone still have such a system?

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

qqq,

funny you should bring that up, there was a detailed posting regarding the Thermassan unit you are describing just last week. I read about the unit in my manual too. Very interesting.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thermasan: They're here!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

The model I am looking at is an Incinolet. The manufacturer insures that there will be no odors, the contraption is vented. It is claimed to be able to handle 4 adults daily usage. I am thinking with only me and me mate, I could possibly use the toilet to incinerate most other garbage as well, and still not be pushing it to it's limits. I was worried about longevity, and element life. Whether it is expected to replace these parts regularly and what that would cost. The toilet itself is just over $1500.00 not a cheap toy, but worth every penny for a lifetime of trouble free, stink free service.

What are the drawbacks to a composting toilet. I just read in the news about problems at the Wright Brothers home where the composting toilets are real stinky, and don't seem to work right. I am less sure about the cleanliness of a composting process for human waste in a small trailer. Does anyone out there use either of these? Is either of these too much trouble(as compared to regular black water dumps,yuck!)?

Darin
Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Incinerator toilet

These incinerator toilets use an awful lot of power, like 1500w for an hour each time you cycle it.
Forget solar panels, you will need a full size genset for one of these.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've read that the composting toilets are very sensitive to the 'feeding' process, and that if you don't keep them damp and warm and the right proportions of ingredients then the composting action won't happen correctly. Just like out in the garden compost pile.

Here's an interesting website:

Composting Toilets

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Question marine composting toilet

Has anyone tried a marine composting toilet, made for boats but can be used for rvs
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I would like to know if anyone has heard anything good or bad about the sun-mar composting toilet. It is the only one I have found that will fit without major modifications into my older AS. I am hurriedly in the market since the original avocado colored contraption refuses to make flush water on demand, but produces plenty of fluch water at all other times.

Darin
Old 08-16-2004, 01:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
The system I plan to institute in my Westcraft is as simple as a 20-gal. plastic bucket under a mahogany seat. Nearby will be a bucket of sawdust or shredded leaves with a ladle. If you use the bucket, you throw a ladle's worth of cover material into it. End of story. When the bucket is 3/4 full, you lift it out & empty it into the compost pile that feeds your flower borders. Any fuller & it gets unwieldy. Alternatively, cover it & it will fully compost within about 2 weeks.

This is courtesy of Anna Edey, the visionary & hardworking force behind the Solviva house, greenhouse & farm on Martha's Vineyard. It's explained fully in her book about the greenhouse, and you can find more information at www.solviva.com but believe me, you want to order the book. I'll ask her, though, whether it's all right to reprint a few paragraphs about the results of the extremely simple compost toilet, which she uses in her house. I've used it with gratifying results in the greenhouse, which serves as a pool pit stop in summer.

As I map out a year's travels with the Bambi that will focus on living lightly on the land--living in your body, rather than stuffing it with overdone food as if it were a sausage in the cosmic food chain, learning how to live off grid & do it beautifully, learning how to live outside the "numbers" (24/7, 40-hr workweek, 55-62-67) and learning how to put my hands to everything i could need in this life... Anna will be the first stop on the tour of minds & places that could help me accomplish those goals.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:54 AM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Has anyone tried a marine composting toilet, made for boats but can be used for rvs
I think you're referring to a macerator pump. My Caravel has one which was installed by the PO.
It's a nice appliance for a boat but I'm not sure it's needed in a travel trailer.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

No ,the brand I am thinking of is a Sunmar rv /marine composting toilet that is made for harsh extremes like getting tossed about on a boat. It requires a small fan in the stack that draws the air out ( runs thru a charcoal filter) to keep composting oders out of the enclosed environment. It does have a small 15 watt heater coil than can be run on 110W or 12 volt (5 watt solar panel) to speed up the process, but isnt necessary. Well I ordered one 2 days ago, so I'll keep everyone posted. We'll try it first in a small room in the barn, which needed some "facilities", so it can out-gas i.e. get the "new product smell" out and see if it is tolerable for me in the trailer. Will let you know. Summerkid, keep us posted on your journeys. Martha's Vineyard sounds great! Let me know if there is a good rv spot. thanks, silver suz
Old 12-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Martha's Vineyard sounds great! Let me know if there is a good rv spot.
There aren't any RV campgrounds or RV-friendly public lands on Martha's Vineyard. I believe they are discouraged on the ferry, too. There is literally no place for them on the island, except in someone's driveway. Knowing the Vineyard, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are prohibited even there...

If you want to see Martha's Vineyard, the best way is via bicycle. The island has many miles of cycling paths connecting the larger towns, which can then be explored on foot.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #15

Composting that... Is quite simple. It is scary stuff of course. If ya do it the simple way, or ways, its odorless... Composting toilets take up too much space. They are nifty, but too complicated...
Metiltube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Incinerating Toilet

In some areas of the outer banks NC the soil won't perk. Some people have propane toilets. One has to be schooled in the proper usage of these facilities as what fires off the burn cycle is the opening of a lower flapper valve which allows the waste to slide down from the dry box into the fire box.

DON'T hold the "empty" button down or you'll have really red cheeks.

Know what burns my a..? A flame about that high!
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Life's Little Lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
DON'T hold the "empty" button down or you'll have really red cheeks. Know what burns my a..? A flame about that high!
Bet you only have to do that ONCE to learn it REAL good!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
While using a composting toilet on your own land may be between you and your local health department, using one on the road is like dumping your black tank in someone else's yard, isn't it? Not everyone is interested in being so earthy. Hel... they don't allow "grey" water dumping most places.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
As I understand the concepts of the composting toilets that I am aware of they do not require dumping when you are out on the road (unless you are out on the road for a very long time). Instead they retain and recyle waste (without adding a lot of water as is more typical of RV toilets by the way). The intent is that when it is time to dump, the content has been transformed to what is essentially nutrient rich dirt.

Here are some website pointers to companys and/or information sources for those that are interesting in pursuing it further:

http://www.biolet.com/index.htm
http://www.compostingtoilet.org/
http://www.sun-mar.com/ <-- a unit especially for marine and RV's
http://www.envirolet.com/
http://www.compostingtoilet.com/index.htm <-- a very large system

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Malcolm- That's the one we ordered- for rv's. The one advantage is that switching the bathroom from the back to the side was much easier. The side bath is pretty cramped. But still it's not the "sitting on the toilet while taking a shower" kind! After hearing all the stories about dumping the black water tank- I just didn't think I could handle all the smells and chemicals by myself, so we are trying this method. I was impressed at how many are in use world-wide. But am I the first in the forum to try this toilet? We plan to run a sloped pipe through the back of the pantry and vent out through the refer venting area, ( remember no propane) to avoid piercing the roof. Any comments about this? Thanks ,Silver suz.