Old 07-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Salisbury , Maryland
Camco Tornado or any Black tank internal cleaner

Has anyone installed a camco tornado or any internal black tank flush kit that you hook a hose up to? I know a lot of people will say you don't need to but I am curious. I am of the anything worth doing is worth overdoing mentality for some things.

Thanks in advance.

MunkMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Well flushing the black tank is good, but the stock one does okay so as long as you are looking for overkill here are some ideas. ( I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and I love sewer system design....)

first, use Happy Camper while in use, it digests paper and reacts with the odorant.

Next switch to a jet maceration pump like the Sewer Solution, the jet water rinses everything after each use.

Leave 2-3 gallons of water in the tank after flushing the tank clean and then add enzyme cleaner each time you hit the road.

If it is still not clean enough (shine a flashlight down the toilet and take a look) or it smell is overpowering when you open the toilet for the flashlight look, fill the tank half way, add one cup of automatic dish washing liquid and 2 cups borax or TSP. then drive for a few hours.

Still not clean enough? hmm..... I will come up with something.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
I use an attachment (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UHVAA..._pIObFbS56T1CD) that allows me to easily flush the black and gray tanks every time I dump. I full time and so far have always been on full hook ups, so this works great for me as my sewer hose is always hooked up. If I was moving more often, Iíd probably stick to using only the built in black tank flush and driving around with a couple gallons of water/cleaning solution method mentioned above.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Salisbury , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Well flushing the black tank is good, but the stock one does okay so as long as you are looking for overkill here are some ideas. ( I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and I love sewer system design....)

first, use Happy Camper while in use, it digests paper and reacts with the odorant.

Next switch to a jet maceration pump like the Sewer Solution, the jet water rinses everything after each use.

Leave 2-3 gallons of water in the tank after flushing the tank clean and then add enzyme cleaner each time you hit the road.

If it is still not clean enough (shine a flashlight down the toilet and take a look) or it smell is overpowering when you open the toilet for the flashlight look, fill the tank half way, add one cup of automatic dish washing liquid and 2 cups borax or TSP. then drive for a few hours.

The maceration pump is a great idea. My Airstream didn't come with a factory black tank flush kit(it would have been the "no fuss flush") That's why I was thinking about adding one. The previous owners weren't very detail oriented so there is build up and I was going to do everything I can to clean it out. Right now I have half a tank of water in it and a product called Tank Techs RX which is the bacteria route you were suggesting. I am going to empty it this weekend when we get to the campground and them when we get home(i'll empty before we leave) fill half or 3/4 back up with water and put more of it back it. I think the sensors are gummed up.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Salisbury , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
I use an attachment (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UHVAA..._pIObFbS56T1CD) that allows me to easily flush the black and gray tanks every time I dump. I full time and so far have always been on full hook ups, so this works great for me as my sewer hose is always hooked up. If I was moving more often, Iíd probably stick to using only the built in black tank flush and driving around with a couple gallons of water/cleaning solution method mentioned above.
I've seen those and they look good but so far we have stayed at state parks that have power hook ups but no sewer or water. So we use the tanks which works fine there's only 2 of us. I was trying to not add one more shitty pipe(see what I did there) laying around. Just didn't know if anyone had actually dropped the plastic surround and tackled the job or bailed and had a dealership do it. Orrrr just gone the chemical route.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post

BayouBiker.. I would never venture to disagree with someone that loves sewer system design. We donít currently have any issues but we have really limited our use of our blank tank. Considering the current situation with the virus, we have discussed the possibility of needing to use our tank for solids. It appears that I will have to overcome my fears and will definitely consider your suggestions. Thank you
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I don't know if this is the correct thing to do, but after initially dumping the black water tank, I fill to 90% and dump it two more times. The water is clear at the middle of the last dump.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkMaster View Post
The maceration pump is a great idea. My Airstream didn't come with a factory black tank flush kit(it would have been the "no fuss flush") That's why I was thinking about adding one. The previous owners weren't very detail oriented so there is build up and I was going to do everything I can to clean it out. Right now I have half a tank of water in it and a product called Tank Techs RX which is the bacteria route you were suggesting. I am going to empty it this weekend when we get to the campground and them when we get home(i'll empty before we leave) fill half or 3/4 back up with water and put more of it back it. I think the sensors are gummed up.
The tank cleaners have enzymes, active cultures and detergents so if you have that much build up, I'd hold off that route (it will work, but may take several more cycles) and go to the borax or TSP with strong detergent, then finish it up with the tank cleaner, the Phosphate or Borax will loosen up the build up so even if some remains it will work its way out faster after that.

FYI, my approach may not be the very best, but I can tell you every time I take a look down the toilet, my tank looks like a swimming pool and smells like a garden..... almost.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
This doesnít address your current tank dilemma, but may help keep it clean in the future: I donít allow anything down the toilet that doesnít come out of the body. Any toilet paper or baby wipes gets put in small paper bags and disposed of in the trash can. Not allowing toilet paper into the tank makes cleaning it very easy. So far my sensors have always read 0 after a full dump & flush.

I also use a bidet, so it drastically reduces the amount of paper products required. Thatís a different topic, but helps contribute to a pleasant Airstream bathroom experience and clean tanks.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I use the..."she's not happy 'til I'm befuddled method"

My procedure...always travel 50mi before dumping if possible,(this is referred to as slosh time)
Use the onboard flush for one complete fill, drain, repeat.
Fill the bowl, add Happy Camper and 1oz of Dawn, flush.

The befuddled part...add 1oz of Aqua-Kem, fill the bowl, mix it up with the bowl brush, now you have a pretty blue solution that cleans the bowl and smells good.
Flush again when the clean smell becomes overwhelming.

Result...everyone is HAPPY and the original tank sensors are still working after 17 Seasons.

FWIW...the grey tank gets filled and emptied twice with just the Dawn and one gallon water added.

Disclaimer...I am able to empty the tanks at home which makes the befuddling much more convenient 🥴

Bob
👍

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
The best thing for black tank and even the great tank is to skip this stuff you buy in packages and pour in your tank. Mix 1/2 cup of 20 mule team borax with a 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap and enough water with the borax prior tp putting in the Dawn to dissolve the borax. Pour down the toliet. Then pour a five gallon bucket of water in the toilet and store till the next trip. Put more water in the black tank if you want to. Drive your trailer with water in it to your destination and flush your tank when you get there. Do this every time then when you flush your tank. The mix dissolves solids that build up in the tank and harden. Your tank will stay clean. you can cut any grease in your gray tank too. When you flush your tank when leaving the campground pour the stuff in the tank when flushed and add 5 gallons of water. The action going down the highway will wash the tank.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The cheapest bio additive (bacteria) is "Drain Care", available at any hardware store. Much cheaper than advertisers for RV products. It only takes a spoon full to do any drain. It is time sensitive, meaning there is a use before date on the container.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote