Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Blue tote instead of black tank ?

Folks I need some advice.
For reference:
We have redone the frame and have replaced the floor in the (rear) bath (Sept. 2016).

What do you think about not having a black tank and let the toilet go directly into a blue tote?
Maybe about 15 gallons (but dump when about 10 gallons full) that could be walked to the dump station every 2 days or so and dump the gray water tank when leaving the campground?
Another question....if we are at Walmart for 1 night.....do we hook up "old blue" ....probably not!!!!!!!!
We have bought the toilet several months ago and cannot return it and buying a composting toilet is out.
Does "black and blue" work for any of you?
Thanks
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, not too fun. We have been using the blue boy a lot recently. It is ok on nice days, but less than satisfactory on rainy, nasty days like today.
��
Lynn
Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
No thanks
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I have never successfully used my tote without some type of "slop" getting on my hands (gloved), shoes, etc. There is absolutely no way I would ever put black water in a tote. Gray water in the tote is bad enough, and is my absolute outer limit.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Would not consider it.

Why not place the tank above floor with the toilet on top of it?
We older folks have trouble finding a toilet tall enough to not have to squat down to use anyway. I bought the tallest they make and it's still hard for my wife to use. They design them for midgets.
The older AS I looked at used this approach and seemed to work fine.
They also had the fresh water tank up front behind the couch on top of the floor. Simplified everything.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
all the same words and opinions come to mind as above. I don't think it's going to end up being quite as simple as "going to the dump station and dumping" it - especially with an audience waiting in line to make their stop on the way in or out. The blue boys are really intended to be for grey water waste for those of us with no grey water tank (but plenty of grey hair) ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
I don't use a black tank. I have a Thetford Porta Potti Curve that works great for us. Super clean and tidy and have never had even a drip out of it when taking it to the dump station. We try to reserve it for night time use and emergency on the road use primarily though. I use a blue boy for gray water and agree that I would not want black water in it. Alway a little spillage when moving it and dumping it.
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My 73 has no grey water tank and I have to use a blue boy when sewer connection isn't available. Dumping grey water from a blue boy is not a fun endeavor, no thanks on dumping black water from one. In my Argosy the black tank is above the floor with the toilet on top of it. Another thought is what issues will arise if you ever decide to sale your trailer. I for one would not buy a trailer that didnt have a black tank, and my Argosy will be the last trailer I own without a grey tank.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a blue "biffy box" for emergency overflow issues only. Thankfully we've not had to use it. You still have to get to an RV sani-dump to dump it and to clean the thing out. Thoroughly.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
HAH!!!
Those of us with later model 30 footers or so, have to content with Airstream's 'Stoopid' idea of running the bathroom sink drain into the black water tank.
This configuration fills up the black tank a lot faster, requiring dumping sooner.
This is NOT good where there is no sewer fixtures at your camp spot, or if 'boondocking'.
One of my outings in June, the campspot has no sewage. Does this mean that I have to buy a 'Blueboy"?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
HAH!!!
Those of us with later model 30 footers or so, have to content with Airstream's 'Stoopid' idea of running the bathroom sink drain into the black water tank.
This configuration fills up the black tank a lot faster, requiring dumping sooner.
This is NOT good where there is no sewer fixtures at your camp spot, or if 'boondocking'.
One of my outings in June, the campspot has no sewage. Does this mean that I have to buy a 'Blueboy"?
I actually wish mine was plumbed that way (it's not). I always am full of gray water with quite a bit less than half full of black.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Instead of a "blue boy" I have a Thetford Smart Tote. It is effortless to fill even if the trailer is too close to the ground. And it has wheels in the front in case it's heavy. And it's equally mindless to empty. I empty both black and grey into it every couple days or so and walk it to the dump station...without touching or smelling the stuff.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twinkie View Post
. . .
What do you think about not having a black tank and let the toilet go directly into a blue tote?
. . .
A lousy idea IMO which will seriously diminish the resale value of your AS.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
How would it be vented?
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Cassette toilet

I visited the Earthroamer factory on I-25 north of Denver. Their $400,000, 28 ft. Motorhome uses a casette toilet. It looks brilliant and ultimately flexible. Everything I've read about these toilets is positive except for the limited storage but 5 gallons is relatively easy to move around. You can empty in any pit or regular toilet. No need to wait for a dump station. I would be glad to have one in my AS. Options are good.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL4411 View Post
I visited the Earthroamer factory on I-25 north of Denver. Their $400,000, 28 ft. Motorhome uses a casette toilet. It looks brilliant and ultimately flexible. Everything I've read about these toilets is positive except for the limited storage but 5 gallons is relatively easy to move around. You can empty in any pit or regular toilet. No need to wait for a dump station. I would be glad to have one in my AS. Options are good.

When I bought my Argosy back in 2000, it was really only used for a hunting camp. I removed the standard toilet and installed a cassette toilet (porta potty). Once the family and I started using our trailer for travel and vacation it didn't take long for the toilet to become a sore spot in the conversation. With a family of four the cassette toilet had to be dumped daily. It's never any fun to need to use the restroom only to find its full and must be dumped before reliving yourself. We are back to a flush toilet and our black tank.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The cassette toilets as they use in Europe are emptied from the outside, no need to carry through the trailer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by otra15 View Post
a lousy idea imo which will seriously diminish the resale value of your as.

agree!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
If you plan to go without the black tank, Go with a composting toilet you would be better off.
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
If you plan to go without the black tank, Go with a composting toilet you would be better off.
Thomas
Don't most of the composting toilets require that you divert the urine to another container? [not the grey water tank preferably, as I understand it]

Why not keep the black tank for use when needed, even if a composting toilet is installed?

Guess I am missing the convenience of not having any black water tank . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote