Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Black Water Tank Valve Open but no Flow...

I have a problem with the blackwater dump valve. The valve handle opens but the valve us apparently not open and I am not able to dump the tank. Any suggestions on how to proceed. I have read numerous threads but none match my problem yet. I'll keep searching in the meantime. Thanks. I have a 34 ft 1986 Excella
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hello. You might ha debri clogging the outlet by the valve?? Unless you are sure. Can you pull the handle all the way out of the hole? and are you sure the valve is closed. I fit is debri , I have simply dumped a bag of ice down the camode then drove around with it in there. That will break anything up then it will simply turn to water as ice melt and dumps easily.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
On mine the valve handle attaches to the valve with a threaded rod. I was able to reconnect by just turning the valve handle clockwise to engage the threaded rod.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Seems to me that your options vary widely, depending upon whether your tank is full or empty at this moment. If empty, you can simply disassemble the valve and figure it out. But it sounds as if it's full, and if so, that's a whole other set of issues. If it's simply a matter of the valve handle coming unscrewed as Lumatic suggests, that's an easy fix ... seems to me unlikely that debris would prevent everything from coming out of the tank ... some liquid would make its way past most any "normal" clog, so I'd bet that the valve itself is just not opening.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

My options appear poor. It is 3/4 full and the valve handle in the open position with no flow. I have flushed back and no flow, I have disconnected with the valve handle in the open position and no flow. It is obvious that the valve did not open and my options limited. thanks for responding.
WBCCI 14536
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I got my problem solved. It was debri stuck on the sensor. I tried to view the tank through the toilet and it seemed full and my level indicator on my board reflected a 3/4 full mark. After I opened the valve and no flow came, I did what we are not suppose to do, opened my gray tank valve in hopes of flushing whatever might be plugging the outlet and shut it off immediately. This produced a flow from the black tank. I then decided to use the wand to flush it out and with a flashlight I could see that the tank was indeed empty but whatever was on the sensor was causing the bad reading. It is now clean and sensor working reflecting an empty tank. Thanks to all who responded.
WBCCI 14536
Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #7

1975 25' Caravanner
santa monica , California
I have this same problem

My blackwater tank valve is in the open position but nothing is flowing. I can tell the handle that releases the trap door to let out the blackwater is not connected to the sliding trap door anymore. I tried to see if the handle could screw back in, couldn't get it. Now I am stuck with a full blackwater toilet tank, the place is starting to smell and I live in the trailer full time, Please help. I don't know how to fix this problem because the tank is full.

Thanks
Sean
bulahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulahi View Post
My blackwater tank valve is in the open position but nothing is flowing. I can tell the handle that releases the trap door to let out the blackwater is not connected to the sliding trap door anymore. I tried to see if the handle could screw back in, couldn't get it. Now I am stuck with a full blackwater toilet tank, the place is starting to smell and I live in the trailer full time, Please help. I don't know how to fix this problem because the tank is full.

Thanks
Sean
I am having the same problem today with my black tank valve. It feels like it opens, but I do not believe that it is. I hate the thought of having to take it all the way to my RV repair, but I have to assume it needs a new valve. Oh, and the tank is 1/2 full. Great.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
What you are going to have to do, if the valve will not open is take the plumbing to the dump fitting off at the valve assembly. Then get several 5 gallon pails, (if you have clearance for standard 5 gallon pails) enough to catch the effluent that is in the tank, plus 1 extra, "just in case". Then you can pry open the valve from the inside of the sewer pipe and empty the tank. Be sure and wear rubber gloves and goggles when doing this. Yeah, it's going to be a messy operation.

If you live out in the country, you could also dig a hole and let the crap go into the hole and bury it. Yeah, I know that is not PC, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do in an emergency.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
What you are going to have to do, if the valve will not open is take the plumbing to the dump fitting off at the valve assembly. Then get several 5 gallon pails, (if you have clearance for standard 5 gallon pails) enough to catch the effluent that is in the tank, plus 1 extra, "just in case". Then you can pry open the valve from the inside of the sewer pipe and empty the tank. Be sure and wear rubber gloves and goggles when doing this. Yeah, it's going to be a messy operation.

If you live out in the country, you could also dig a hole and let the crap go into the hole and bury it. Yeah, I know that is not PC, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do in an emergency.
I'm haven't seen one of the slide valves used on an AS close up, but if the problem is that the threaded metal rod has stripped out the thread in the plastic sliding blade, might it be possible to screw in some sort of self tapper screw tack welded onto a a rod and get enough purchase to pull the valve open - and the of course replace the valve with new.

Just a thought. I have no idea, it may not be practical. First thing that came to my mind though, it sure would be nicer than the alternative if it had any chance at all of working!

I have often wondered myself how to cope with such a situation if it ever happened to me - I live in fear every time I pull that handle!!

I have almost become paranoid about it! No idea if it happens often though.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
breeder's gloves

Ah, well, maybe you could purchase yourself some of these gloves and go at it from the outside:

Lynn
Old 05-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
can you please set up a video camera so we can all watch...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You may be able to siphon or pump out the black tank up through the toilet. You will not be able to remove all the sewage but it would reduce greatly the 'flood' when you are able to open the valve.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Loosening up the valve slide thingy

My problem is somewhat easier, the 1972 25' Safari valve is open and it looks like it was left in this position over the years with the gray draining and the black not being used any. Its a horizontal slide with the drain being vertical in the rear of course. I'm thinking on closing with a cap with the hose male on it and filling the system up into the toilet area and then let things set for a while. After a day or so dump through the hose drain and see if I can loosen the slide. Is it okay to use WD-40 on the slide area?

Fog
Fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
can you please set up a video camera so we can all watch...
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! gross!! LOL!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Here is something that yall have not considered, contact a place that cleans out sewer lines and septic tanks, they both have the ability to suck most all the stuff out of the tank thus getting rid of the issue of a full tank then look at your valve.
I recently think I may have the same problem, pulled the valve but nothing coming out, visable look down the toilet with a flashlight looked like the black tank was full. I recently had the valve replaced at AS and it seemed not to be working, I contacted the local camper dealer he suggested a local company that drains septic tanks, and then described the valve operation/assembly. the rod that goes into the valve does not screw into the gate, depending on which manufactuerer that made the valve it is either a nob on the end of the rod set into a grove on the gate and held into place by the valve body or the rod is held in place by a clip again held in place by the valve body. Once your tank is drained you can take apart the valve body and in most cases place rod into grove or new clip, but the cost of replacment parts will cost more than just replacing the valve all together. This is where you have a advantage, instead of a rod system replace the valve with an electric one which is alot less back breaking.
I had a septic tank person go to drain my tank and low and behold all that was in there was a pile of paper and solds right at the toilet, no liquids. Brought it back home filled it with water added chemical to break down solids and clean sensors, will let set for a week and then see if it does indeed dump, if not I will go back to tank guy drain it the address the issue with the valve.
Of coarse if all goes well and AS/Thor take care of my issue I may not have to worry about replacing the valve.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Although I'm not sure I want to see photos of most of this, I would like to see some of someone sucking on a siphon, especially after it starts to flow.

I'm with Brian, every time I pull on that handle I hope it works and doesn't just come out in my hand.

And the breeders' gloves may have to be supplemented by waders.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I had a septic tank person go to drain my tank and low and behold all that was in there was a pile of paper and solds right at the toilet, no liquids. Brought it back home filled it with water added chemical to break down solids and clean sensors, will let set for a week and then see if it does indeed dump, if not I will go back to tank guy drain it the address the issue with the valve.
Of coarse if all goes well and AS/Thor take care of my issue I may not have to worry about replacing the valve.

Sarge
This was my problem that I reported in May. As soon as I filled to Black tank full of water, and then released the valve, the pressure of many gallons of water released with all the solids. Letting it stand for a week with chemicals to break down should only help.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Bend , Oregon
Does anyone know the brand of valves used on older AS? I have a '61 Tradewind. The valves appear in ok shape but I can't find any caps, connectors or hoses. The valve body is brass with an aluminum blade. There are 4 wedge shaped flanges on the valve. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Mike&Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You can give it a try, but after that long the rubber in the slide is probably shot.. You can get replacement kits at any RV dealer, Give the WD-40 a shot and don't think it can hurt at this point...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote