Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Black water tank sensor is dead

I have the Micropulse system, and I've had reading problems before but a recalibration fixed them. Now, the black water tank sensor is DEAD. The light doesn't even light up in the panel, and pressing the status button just skips the black water tank. It's as if the sensor is not there anymore.

Is this repairable?
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The magic $$$$ is undefined. We had to drop the tank to gain access. The factory sensor was glued into the tank.....

We changed over to the newer tank level sensor system from the micro sense for a couple of thousand in our 2014 31' Classic. Took two men one full day plus a few hours the next to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sequatchie , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I have the Micropulse system, and I've had reading problems before but a recalibration fixed them. Now, the black water tank sensor is DEAD. The light doesn't even light up in the panel, and pressing the status button just skips the black water tank. It's as if the sensor is not there anymore.

Is this repairable?

I never put much if any trust into the sensors. It doesn't take much to screw them up and drive you bonkers. I used the old burp indicator as it's much more reliable...once the toilet burps it's time to dump.

Can't help you with the sensor...I would suspect a wiring or software problem if the panel doesn't even read the black tank status. If this is a new under warranty rig then yea, I may take it in...probably not though as I would never check it. But seriously these tanks kind of measure themselves if you pay attention to them. Gray and fresh tank included. (Toilet burps=time to dump black, sink or tub doesn't drain=time to dump gray, fresh water doesn't run=time to add fresh water)

Btw, I'm on Tapatalk and no idea what kind of rig you have...crazy app.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
jerem0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Black water tank sensor is dead

It's a 2014 Flying Cloud 30. I'm not in the mood of spending thousands on this. I do have a Good Sam extended service plan. I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On mine the sensor is right above the elbow for the dump valve. I see the sensor and a wire leading up to it. Mine was working early last year, then it always showed totally empty until one day when it showed totally full. This year it doesn't show anything, it's dead, like yours.

I was going to replace it when we were down in Florida but it didn't come out easily and I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish, so I left it alone. Now I'm back in the cold so it'll wait until I get a warm day.

All the problems we've had with the Micropulse made me want to consider replacing it until I saw some of the estimates in here. My fresh water is dead too, only gray and battery charge lights work. Even the gray tank light is fickle, bouncing up and down.

We can go about 12 days on the black tank, then we start watching the level with a flashlight. The gray tank lasts about 3-5 days, I keep an eye out in the shower in case it comes up there (hasn't yet). My portable tank is 15 gallon and I am getting good at estimating when it's time to use it. We don't boondock so other than sanitizing it in the spring, it's not used.

Two grand just to have some lights sounds kind of expensive.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
OK. Our sensors stopped working/never really worked years ago. So... When you can see the water down the toilet, time to dump the black tank. When the shower backs up, time to dump the grey tank. When no water comes out the faucet, time to fill the fresh water tank.

In reality, we have a feel for when each tank needs to be emptied/filled. Approx 14 days for black, 3 - 5 days for grey, 3 - 5 days for fresh.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
FC, I have a 2012 30 and my Grey water sensor has done the same. I talked to Dan Snyder at Cust service. He told me where to go to cut a square out of the outer sheet metal cover and access the sensor (still not sure exactly sure where he meant--and would need more info before proceeding). Then I was to re-cover with a small metal door. I have not done that and just probably will not. Black water in our units can be checked with a flashlight during flush and the shower floor provides a good overflow check of the grey tank. Fresh water during boondock would be most important and one that might be worth changing if living on that tank.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, I called the mobile RV service guys, and scheduled a visit for next Monday. They work with the Good Sam Extended Service plan, which has a $200 deductible, so worst case scenario I'm out $200. But if the repair entails taking out the black water tank, I may just live with it. We'll see.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, they came, they saw, they ordered a new sensor, and they replaced it yesterday. The sensor was $57. The whole bill was $334. Between labor and trip charge and shipping and tax,tag and title. But I'm 100% now. Yay!