Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
black water tank removal

I am removing the black water tank to install house type plumbing. Must remove bumper to do this, but There are 2 very large rusty bolts in the bumper that I cannot budge. I have sprayed them with nut buster, but they still want budge. What do I do or need to do to remove these bolts. Here are photos taken during repair and remodel. Well, don't know how to insert photos. I only weigh 120 # so I need something other than muscle. Thanks Also how do you remove the black flange that the seal is attached to and the toilet sits on that is connected to the tank.
G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
I put the 2 images in photos. a photo of the outside and one of the unremovable bumper bolt.I am thinking about using a drill and just drilling them out. Nice looking on the outside but a wreck on the inside.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Jamestown , New York
Thumbs up

Reciprocating Saw a.k.a "Sawzall"
NavyDavesCvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I do not know if there is a difference between your 69 and my 71 but I removed mine without removing the bumper. Had to remove some of the banana wrap and the rivets holding the bottom skin on in the back of the trailer. The toilet had 2 bolts in the bottom - there was a hole in the bottom back and side to help you get to the nuts. After I removed the nuts the toilet came right off. But why remove your tank?

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
We want to park it on a perminate location and since the toilet didn't work, the floor was rotted, and the holding tank full of dried crap, we decided to do away with the self contained busness. We are finally through with the renovations. We drilled out the bumper bolts to get to the holding tank. Boy!, was all of this a STINKER.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am still in the renovation process - Always needing more $$$ and time.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Luna

1966 26' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
We are parking ours permanently also - any tips - since you did yours first? Thanks!
lunawilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
perminate parking

Hi, Most folks seem interestered in restoring it to the origional state. That is/was not our idear.Real $$$$ We just wanted it to be a nice liveable place to live long or short term.We have only one spare bedroom for guest, so this is where it will come in handy. We origionally purchased it for a lady to live in who has just recently lost her husdand and was losing her home. Right now she is still living in her home and the finance co. is trying to work something out with her. It is still available tho if she should need it. We completely gutted the inside and started new. I still have some finish work to do as well a painting the inside. We installed hardwood floors, removed the frount bed and one of the twin bed so that we could put in shelves and a chest of drawers for real storage. Right now it is parked in the woods along a creek where I some time use it to photograph deer , fox and other wild life at night. I will miss it should she finally need it. I will try and take photo and send them to you. All the old copper water pipes were replaced with pvc, new counters, and new 30 gal. water tank whick sits covered outside. Like I said this was a project we slipped into and had to make the best of.