Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Black Water Tank Clog, I think...

Hello fellow Airstreamers!!!

I have a 2011 27fb International Signature. My black water tank was about 3/4 full and I am staying at a rv park, have been since May. I am suppose to leave Monday to move on. Anyway I opened my black water tank valve to drain it, and my hose had a leak, so I had to close the valve. I bought a new hose (Rhino 15ft) and attached it. I opened the valve to the black tank again to resume the draining process. I walked away and came back in a bit and it had stopped draining. I thought it was done. So I proceeded to close my valve so I could begin using the internal sprayer. But the valve would not close all the way, so about 3/4 of an inch is it not closing, so the two small clamps will not attach to the handle. Anyway I went into the trailer and looked at the monitor where I noticed the black tank was still over half full.

So I am leaning towards a clog, since I can not close the valve all the way. It seems a bit harder to open and close the valve now. What I have tried so far is using a connection between the sewer drain hose and the trailer connection, attaching the water hose and spraying into the black tank while the valve is open..no luck. I have also tried the product Commando, an enzyme that is suppose to break everything down in 12 to 24 hours. It's been 12 and no luck.

So I am hoping someone has an easy way to clear this clog. I am alone so I do not have a second pair of hands, also I have an appointment to take the trailer in on Thursday, as that is the soonest they can help me. However I really was suppose to be on the road by Monday.

I heard about hot water...any one have success with that? I have also heard about using an old hose and feeding a wire hanger through a small hole you make and poking at the clog, provided the clog is at the opening into the tank. Obviously if you succeed and clear the clog a bit of sewage will come out the small hole, but seems reasonable.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also please forgive me, my internet here is horrid and I am having problems searching the forum for answers. It takes ages to get it to load. So this was my best alternative.

Thanks Kandy
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Valterra F02-4350 Reverse RV Flush Valve

Link to recent post with possible solution to your problem: AirForums - "Our solution to a blocked up water tank"

Link to flush valve referenced in above post: Amazon - Valterra F02-4350 Reverse RV Flush Valve

Note: This flush valve is also available from Walmart, Camping World and other RV parts stores, at considerably higher prices.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Flushing from the outside using something like a Flush King has a reasonable chance of clearing a clog at the valve. It is also possible that you have 2 issues - a clog back at the outlet of the tank/intake of the 3" pipe as well as a bit of debris caught in the valve that is preventing the valve from fully closing. While the flush king will likely clear the valve, it will not likely clear a stoppage further up the pipe due to the hydrodynamics of how those things work with bends in the pipe.

Your other option is to get a quart of Digest It (https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Natura...ds=digest%2Bit) and dump the entire bottle in your tank and let it sit for at least 24 hours. This stuff is quite good at breaking down solids and was recommended to a friend of mine by a dealer as how they clear clogs on trailers brought in for repair.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I'm not clogged!!!

Ok so here is what I did to get the clog out. I have one of those sewer backwash fittings, it goes between the sewer hose and the trailer sewage outlet. I hooked up the garden hose and began spraying directly into the holding tank with the black tank valve open. I lifted my sewage hose so it was vertical near the connection at the trailer. The water began to fill and eventually the weight of the water pushed the clog back into the tank, freeing the flow. I laid my hose back down, straightened it out and viola it's clear. YAY for me!!!
Old 08-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Oh and thank you to everyone who chimed in..
Old 08-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If the valve handle will not latch then it is not closing all the way, so it may not be opening all the way either. Don't trust the monitors, they are notorious for not working. If you put water down the toilet does it drain? If so then maybe your rank is empty and the monitor is wrong.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Staying since May, was this the first time you dumped it in all that time? It's possible if you always used the park facilities. I which case some things might have dried out and gotten hard and stuck in the flush.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am also experiencing a black tank clog so I ordered the reverse RV flush Value from Amazon. Will propably have to go camping where there is a pump out station to use. Not sure I could use it in my driveway without making a mess. Any Suggestions
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
That was a very clever solution Kandy. Clean, using what you had at hand, no risk of further filling the tank, and most of all successful!

Yea! Well done, and thanks for sharing with us here.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I need some additioanl assistance. I did the back flush many many time however the black tank value will still not close all the way. So I was wondering if I was to tap it lightly with a rubber malot if that would loosen it. Or is there another solution. Thank you.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
If it won't close all the way it is probably some paper that is stuck in the track. I don't think banging it will help. After I got my clog unclogged I couldn't close mine completely either. So unfortunately I had to put it in storage like that. Mine stays open about 3/4 an inch from what I can tell. I'll be pulling it out again in December so hopefully I can get it dealt with then. In the meantime I'd love to find out how I might overcome that issue too.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Glove up, and reach in carefully. No other real choice.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Haven't had this problem (knock wood) but wonder if probing up the valve with the awning tool might work? That little hook on the end might be helpful in pulling away any clogged paper or other "stuff" from the valve. Then you can either bleach and Lysol the stick or buy a new one for $18 from Zip Dee 😳
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Stop putting paper of any kind in the black tank is one solution that we have used for years. Nothing, especially if staying for long periods of time in one place.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Black Water Tank Clog, I think...

Make sure you use toilet paper the breaks down in the tank.

To check, put a couple sheets in a quart bottle, add water, put on the lid, and shake it up. If the paper falls apart, it's the right brand.

There is a thread about this on the site. I disremember the exact results, but interestingly 'RV toilet paper' does not always dissolve well. I seem to remember that Charmin ultra soft was one of the good ones.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
T paper use is okay, just use the right kind as has been mentioned. These toilets were designed for paper use, just use plenty if water on your flushes..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Toilet Paper

We use Walmart Great Value Ultra-Strong Toilet Tissue. Rated as one of best and cheapest by Consumer Reports. Hasn't clogged yet, and it's conveniently located at about every off-ramp on the freeway.

Almost any toilet paper is OK for RV toilets. To test, place 1-2 sheets in a glass of water and stir. If it shreds, it's fine. Whatever you use at home is probably OK in your Airstream toilet.

Link to previous discussion thread on toilet paper:

The Age Old Question - Toilet Paper -- AirForums.com
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The basic rule for black water management is this:

Airstreams are designed to be on the road and moving!

Problems arise from staying in one place too long, without agitating the black water so that it becomes one consistent slurry, including dissolved TP.

Plenty of older TP threads!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...tp-150704.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...er-148889.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...log-70475.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...al-148893.html

Most basic single ply versions work fine, with proper road-action agitation.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
T paper use is okay, just use the right kind . . .
What if you are left-handed?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Austin , Texas
The Flush King attachment on Amazon $39 forces water up from the hose connection to clear up any clogs.
PaulG_4307 is offline   Reply With Quote