Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
kenakenakena

2017 25' International
Grand Rapids , MI
Black water increasing fast & toilet water supply leak

hello out there! this is my first forum so thank you for reading and responding.

We have a leak from our PEX / water supply to our toilet. We live and work on the road and haven't come across an easy fix so we've been shutting off the water supply at the valve as a temporary fix until we can get to it. It hasn't been too much of an issue but today, we noticed our black water percentage going up pretty fast-- several percentages per use-- which is abnormal.

My question is, can these two issues be related? If not, we think we just have to replace the PEX on our toilet so we're not too concerned about the first issue, but the black tank filling up fast is alarming to us. Anyone experience this and have some advice?

Thanks!
Kendra Clapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #2

2017 19' International
Auburn , Washington
In our 2017 25ft the bath room sink drains into the black tank. With the toilet valve open I can hear the water from the sink draining into the black tank.
bayouxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In our '01 Classic 30'er the toilet plumbing runs in the bottom of the cabinet and is pretty easy to access. PEX is pretty basic to work with but you do need some dedicated tools if you want to tackle it yourself but it's very basic work for any plumber. So you have some choices if you don't want to take it to the shop and deal with their schedule.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
First, you need to determine what goes to the black tank. Clearly the toilet does but the only leakage path there is through the flush valve. If that is leaking, you will see water entering the bowl when you are not using the toilet. It then has to leak by the flapper so it would probably fill up the bowl first. If the flush valve is leaking that is a pretty easy replacement and closing the water supply valve is a stopgap.
However, as suggested above, if you have sink drains going to black then you have a different problem. As suggested, shut off the water to the toilet, step on the flash valve lever so you can see/hear the black tank and run some water into the sink and listen for the water going into the black tank. Again, though, the water has to come through the water supply into the drain system, which only happens through the sink. I cannot think of any other way water would get into the black tank if your dump valve is closed and you do not have a hose connected to the black tank spray sparger.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Is your toilet bowl filling with water? On my trailer the water from the pex pipe goes through the shutoff valve on the floor behind the toilet and then through the flush valve on the back of the toilet into the bowl. If the water is not going into the bowl, then how is it getting into the black tank? What valve are you turning off, the toilet shutoff behind the toilet or the fresh water at the campground? Do you by chance have your fresh water hose connected to the black tank flush line?

I had water on the floor behind the toilet. The problem was the flush valve. The pex pipe from the shutoff valve has a hose type fitting on it that you can unscrew and disconnect. The valve mounts to the toilet with a gasket and a couple of screws. Difficult working position but all you need to change it is a screwdriver and the part.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Replace clamp

I believe we had the same leak while camping in CA. The pex connection below our toilet was an oetiker squeeze on clamp - hard to tighten and very hard to remove. I got a quality worm gear hose clamp to replace original @ Home Depot. It was quite a chore working in an awkward area but I changed the clamp out, no more leak. I carry a second clamp in case the other end starts leaking. As far as your black tank issue I just don’t know.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
My guess is that this 2017 trailer is "new to you"? And maybe you were not aware that the bathroom sink drains into the black tank?
I traveled this past summer with a friend who has a 2017 27' FBT. I learned then that his bathroom sink water drains into the black tank which is why he had to empty black tank a lot more than I did. I had not realized til then this configuration existed. (I didn't know it could be configured that way in the 25-footer, either). I can see the advantage here - your gray tank stays emptier longer with only kitchen/shower water going into it. After we parted ways, I stayed in several state parks with no hook-ups. I used my largest mixing bowl as my kitchen sink and emptied contents often into the 37/39 gallon black tank. I lasted 5 days using this method and could have stayed longer but the spot was so shady that my solar was virtually worthless. I think it would be reassuring for you to find out how your trailer is configured and then the rapidly filling black tank would make more sense.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote