Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Olney , Illinois
Black water dripping .... ykes

My black water is dripping ..... it seems that the closure rod is not going back all the way , but only 90 % of travel

anybody knows an easy way to get that fixed ?
:-)

easy I know I am dreaming , nothing is ever easy
but lets hear

Thanks

dripping 27 International 2013
thorusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
One Easy Solution: Replace the valve....

Let me rephrase that:
Have the Valve replaced.
(That was what made it easy!)

I had it done at Out Of Doors Mart
(The Airstream dealer in Greensboro, NC)

They did a great job, and at a very affordable price.

They also crated an access panel in the belly pan, so the next time it will be an even easier replacement.

They also gave me a tip in case I attempt the replacement myself:
Roll the valve side tires up on blocks to tip the tank away from the valve.
No matter how much one tries to drain the tank first, having the tank angled away is a good thing.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Are you at somewhere that you can uh get a bit messy and try something?

The valve is a blade slides in between two seals. Possibly something is jammed preventing the blade from closing.

If you can connect to a sewer, a second valve can be installed at the drain fitting. These exist. Then connect dump hose. Now start whatever flushing procedure you can with the second valve holding the flushing water in the tank. Maybe allow it to soak for a while then flush fill rinse repeat and see if the valve fully seats.

If it doesn’t then might be valve service time. Been there done that. Creating a full access panel NOT DROPPING THE PAN is a good choice.

Keep black tank nice and fluid in future uses.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
All good advice...

My 2 cents....

Having been there and done that, more than once, I offer my experience...

Yep, you will need to cut out an access area under the valves to work on them. Make it a large opening, it will still be difficult reaching up and into the valve cavity.

Be sure you do not penetrate the tank while making the opening, it is only about 1/2" from the pan.

Once accessed, I think you will find Valterra valves on your 2013, easily obtainable and easy to install.

While you are in there, consider replacing the grey tanks valve as well.

One of the best things about an Airstream is it is only 14" off the ground...

One of the worst things about an Airstream is it is only 14" off the ground...when you need to work underneath.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Sometimes tp gets stuck in the slot the gate valve slides into for a seal. Try a wire clothes hanger or a toothbrush to clean out the slot. Make sure to clean the toothbrush before you use it.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Sometimes tp gets stuck in the slot the gate valve slides into for a seal. Try a wire clothes hanger or a toothbrush to clean out the slot. Make sure to clean the toothbrush before you use it.
Or you will have a shitty taste in your mouth, ( childish humor I know but I had to I am only 52) sorry
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Had that problem on a relatively new trailer (leaking valve not misused toothbrush).

Replaced the valve. Done.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Easy fix. Velterra twist on waste valve on Amazon. Not the permanent answer but it will keep you drip free until you want to replace the valve
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Had the same issue two years ago. Wound up replacing the valve. However, per above thoughts, it could be debris. There is an off chance that it could be cleared and the valve would work again.

The dump valves are “guillotine valves”. A flat plate attached to the handle slides forward and back in a slot. If something blocks the back end of that slot, the plate can’t close off the opening. The attempts to close it could have impacted the debris to the point that it won’t come out.

The opening on these valves has a rubber seal on each side set into the fixed housing, not into the blade. For my 2014 25 FB the blade and seals are about 12” into and slightly forward of the opening where the slinky attaches. I used a flexible inspection camera when mine failed, hoping I could see the problem. I couldn’t. I’d be cautious inserting anything that might dislodge one of those seals (although it may not be possible to make the problem worse). Poking around blindly could work... with about the same odds as backing your trailer into a tight site with a blindfold on. However, if you are at a full hookup site and have a Valera Sewer Solution, the sprayer might dislodge debris. So might a flush wand if you can possibly get it to the valve from the toilet (on my 25 FB that’s about 6 feet across the entire black tank... not possible. My wife claimed to have evidence that even 2 feet is too far for me to handle with accuracy. I contest that point... but I digress.)

If you decide to replace it yourself, definitely go with the method that cuts a hole in the box. I have a write up and pics of how to do that that I’ve never gotten around to posting. If your 27 is a FB, my layout should be a guide. Let me know and I’ll send it or I’ll start a new thread on black tank valve replacement with that write up.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

P.S.: per Chatooga’s post above, when I had my valve failure I couldn’t get but now travel with a Valterra twist on waste valve. It replaces the cap with a guillotine valve. Any leakage past the existing black tank valve will remain in the space between the failing valve and the added valve.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Valve

I would think that something is stuck in the valve. We have a FC and I had this happen. Someone had flushed a kids easy wipe down the toilet. I drained the tank and then I was able to reach up and clear out the valve. When we have newbies on board I tell them “only toilet paper” goes in the toilet.
Every once in a while if the valve starts getting a little stiff I spray pure silicone on the valve and stem.
Good luck.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
1. Check for debris where the valve slides.

2. Check the "ears" the bolts go through to make sure none of them have cracked or broken.

If those are not the problems...

3. Get credit card out and drive to repair shop. Lots of work you can do on your Airstream that does not involve getting washed by black water.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
Easy fix. Velterra twist on waste valve on Amazon. Not the permanent answer but it will keep you drip free until you want to replace the valve
We were on a caravan in Newfoundland when we developed this problem. It seemed to get worse every day. Bought the twist on waste valve which worked great for the rest of the caravan. We had both valves replace in Jackson Center on the way home.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Dribble stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
I also recommend this approach. It will keep your Airstream from dribbling allowing you to deal with the valve at your convenience.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A number of years ago we had a similar problem. The valve was partly blocked by a plastic disk that had been cut out of the tank to install the drain. Fortunately (or unfortunately!) the black-water drain pipe is large and I could get my hand in there to remove the piece of plastic.

We later heard from owners of other RV brands that they experienced the same plastic-disk problem.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Life is good in South Carolina
My solution

Problems with the blackwater valve can occur if you close the valve before the tank is empty and debris gets lodged in the valve slot.

After this happened to me, my solution was:

1) Throughly drain and flush tank several times
- soak for one day with Valterra V23003 'Pure Power Blue' Waste Digester
- soak for another day with Thetford RV Drain Valve Lubricant
- this should fix all or most of the problem

2) Install Valterra T1020-1 Waste Valve Cap - 3" with Capped 3/4" GHT

3) When dumping place a small 1 gallon bucket below the valve and open the small cap to catch an leakage
Fjord F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would try a hose and nozzle upon from the outside to see if it will dislodge something. With the valve not closing all the way that could be the problem. One thing you could do is buy one of the flexible camera tubes that hook to a computer insert it from the outside and look to see what is going on in the valve. You can get one with a led and camera pretty cheap.

I have had a valve body warp and crack. It is a tough job to cut the hole in the pan. Some use a little air disc grinder and that might be best. I used a $60 Harbor Freight nibbler. It is tough to find someone willing to work on the valves. It is not too tough to replace the valves once the hole in the pan is cut.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a similar leak in the gray valve. It turned out to be the tip of a caulking tube. I guess a worker found it easier to toss things down the sink or even into the tank durning assembly.
The good news is a little exercise flushed it out.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
a toothbrush to clean out the slot. Make sure to clean the toothbrush before you use it.
I like this idea, any time you can make double use of something it's that much less you have to carry in the rig!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I hate to admit this but if it helps I can stand the embarrassment.

If you use a tool of some kind to clean out the slot on the toilet seal be sure to tie a long string on the tool first.

My tool of choice was a neat little thing I bent up out of a piece of coat hanger while we were camped in the Rocky Mountain National park. Could not reach or see it from the top. Went to Estes Park and bought a magnet and some string. Could not retrieve it. Dumped carefully for more than a year waiting for it to jam the valve. Finally was able to retrieve it through the dump valve.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
valve closure

There is paper in the seal where the valve closes. Finally, make sure your tanks are over half full when you empty. This carries the solids out better.

When you get the tank empty, get a water hose nozzle on a stick or something and blow the seal out. They make this stuff if you can't.

Learn about happy camper extreme.

The above is a suggestion if it makes sense to you. It would be much easier if you could get the wife to do it. I don't want to be there.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote