Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly007
Go easy on the paper. Don't put anything in there unless it has been eaten first.
Steve, where do you buy your edible toilet paper?

Nick.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly007
Sorry Peter,
did not mean to propose that someone do something that is illegal or harmful........
steve

"If you can Dodge a wrench, You can Dodge a ball"
Patches O'Houlihan

No apologies needed here. I was just amazed that there are places that have no regs as where we live we are regged to death!

Because of that walkerton situation years ago - due to professional incompetence and not the actual systems - it is almost impossible to get a septic system in remote and small places now....just another big phat money gouge.

But I have learned a lot about septics of late and the age old gopher hole - is far less harmful to the environment than all the different chemicals we are using to clean toilets and tanks etc.

A bit of poop, a bit of sawdust, a bit of air and a bit of soil and magic the poop will disapear in a mater of a day or two. You don't have to add bacteria - the good stuff is already in what we eat and what we create. The loading up of bacteria i.e that RID-X stuff - is because we are adding stuff to the tanks that kill off our natural bacteria.

Gosh what a shitty subject opps bad word
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I've been operating a "single plastic drum and leach field" system for 7 years for dumping our trailer's black tank. It's slowly clogging up, probably because the whole tank-load throws solids and paper into the leach field. I'm now going to keep that system for the grey water, with the valve permanently open, and install a new system for the black tank. I will copy the principles of a system I saw in a 100 year old home in Maryland. I will install one plastic barrel as described in the earlier posts, but this wil be linked at the top to the top of a second plastic barrel, surrounded by rubber mulch/stone/gauze. This barrel will have dozens of small holes drilled all over it. This second tank, the "soakaway", will normally be empty. When the 35 gallon rush goes into the septic primary, 35 gallons will spill into the 50 gallon empty soakaway via the submerged outlet, from which it will "soak away" over the next couple of hours. I will put an air vent in the top of the soakaway.
I am a great believer in home-built septics. I have been using one for my home in England for 20 years. It has never been pumped out, and it has never smelled bad. I can detect no grit in the primary. No enzyme or other similar products have ever been added. We do not use a waste disposal unit in the sink, in order to minimize the biological oxygen demand on the septic. With a single home septic, very close control can be kept over what goes into the system, and this is, in my view, the reason for its success. For environmental reasons I prefer my single-home septic to our local public system which pumps "treated" effluent into our local river. It does, of course, require from users an understanding of the principles involved in septic systems for them to operate effectively.
Nick.