Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Teaticket , Massachusetts
Black tank slowly fills with water connected

Hi all
I searched the forum with no results on this one.
Our black tank slowly fills when hooked up to city water. This happened in the past but we had chalked it up to the grandkids having fun with the flush pedal.
This time I was hooked up to our house while sanitizing the water system and noticed the black tank went from zero to like 44%. I had both dump valves closed , only put about a gallon through the toilet into it while sanitizing and canít imagine what path the city or fresh water tank would take to fill up the black. Anyone with similar issue?
Thanks!
Bob
AnotherBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

Any chance you can prove the tank is actually filling up or is the sensor system playing tricks?

Maybe turn water off, get a long stick, hold the toilet valve open and "dip the tank" to see how full it really is.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Assuming the level gauge is functioning properly and the tank is actually filling, there are only 4 ways water can enter the black tank and fill it up, followed by recommended (corrective action).

1. Via Toilet, either malfunctioning or normal use. (repair or Flush less)
2. A water hose has been placed in to the black tank Vent located on the roof and turned on. (remove practical joker from roof)
3. An RV community sewer line Back up has occurred and sewage is entering the black tank though the dump port. (close black tank dump valve and move away slowly)
4. City water line has been connected to the black tank flush port instead of the city water input. (Connect City Water to correct city water input port)
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
Assuming the level gauge is functioning properly and the tank is actually filling, there are only 4 ways water can enter the black tank and fill it up, followed by recommended (corrective action).

1. Via Toilet, either malfunctioning or normal use. (repair or Flush less)
2. A water hose has been placed in to the black tank Vent located on the roof and turned on. (remove practical joker from roof)
3. An RV community sewer line Back up has occurred and sewage is entering the black tank though the dump port. (close black tank dump valve and move away slowly)
4. City water line has been connected to the black tank flush port instead of the city water input. (Connect City Water to correct city water input port)

Good list, one more possible way: On some models, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank so if that sink is running it will fill tank.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Black tank slowly fills with water connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Good list, one more possible way: On some models, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank so if that sink is running it will fill tank.

Wow, didnít think of this one. Sheís a 2020 FC 30

RBQ, Iíll have to research that, along with the other

Suggestions. Thanks all!

Bob
Old 06-28-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When you go to empty your "44% full" black tank, what happens?

If you hook up the flush hose for a half hour, what happens?

While thoes sound like simple questions, there actually are multiple possible answers.

One unmentioned possibility: Do you own a dog? Is it a large dog? Does it like to sleep with head or paws in the vicinity of the toilet pedal? I have experience with that one .....

The tank sensors operate at the side of the tank. If a "pile" builds up in the center of the tank and does not dump out, it can later tip over towards the sensor .... One of several reasons for running the rinse out process on a regular basis.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
[QUOTE=AnotherBob;2609639]
Quote:
Good list, one more possible way: On some models, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank so if that sink is running it will fill tank.[/QUOTE

Suggestions. Thanks all!

Bob

It will say in your owners manual! My bathroom sink drains into my black tank. (I have a 28 PB SE). I also second (other) Bobís suggestion about possibility of your tank sensor being obstructed by crud. Keep us updated!

Laura
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

When you go to empty your "44% full" black tank, what happens?

If you hook up the flush hose for a half hour, what happens?

While thoes sound like simple questions, there actually are multiple possible answers.

One unmentioned possibility: Do you own a dog? Is it a large dog? Does it like to sleep with head or paws in the vicinity of the toilet pedal? I have experience with that one .....

The tank sensors operate at the side of the tank. If a "pile" builds up in the center of the tank and does not dump out, it can later tip over towards the sensor .... One of several reasons for running the rinse out process on a regular basis.

Bob
So, I just looked down into the black tank, it is indeed
about half full. On our precious trip ( three weeks ago) I did flush the tank for about 10 minutes until
It was just clear water coming out. Iíll hook up the hose later today and see if that bathroom sink is plumbed to it. It is still kind of strange though because when sanitizing the fresh water system thereís no way I ran enough water through the bathroom sink or toilet to put that much water
In there. The investigation continues!
Thanks again all.
Bob
Old 06-29-2022, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=AnotherBob;2609639]
Quote:
Good list, one more possible way: On some models, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank so if that sink is running it will fill tank.[/QUOTE

Suggestions. Thanks all!
Bob
Turn off the supply to the toilet. Turn on the bathroom faucet and depress the toilet arm to open the throat. Water entering the tank is your indicator.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
I've heard that as well. I was trying to find out if my 2022 International bathroom sink drained into the black tank, but there is noting on my manual on this.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
sink drains into black tank

Your bathroom sink does drain into the black tank according to the diagram in the parts book.
Not sure if that solves your problem.

Regards
Geno48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Yes, the Lav sink is plumbed to the black tank. Mystery solved and in the owners manual too! Thank you all
for your responses, this will be briefed at our upcoming vacation trip with grandkids haha!
Bob
Old 06-30-2022, 10:08 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok if the sink drains into the tank, did the water pump get left on when you last towed the trailer? If so, the faucet can jiggle open. The next step is either water all over the floor (if the drain is closed) or a rapidly filling tank (if the drain stays open).

The fun part is that the faucet also can jiggle back closed again on the next bump. It makes for a more complicated debug process ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Black tank filling

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok if the sink drains into the tank, did the water pump get left on when you last towed the trailer? If so, the faucet can jiggle open. The next step is either water all over the floor (if the drain is closed) or a rapidly filling tank (if the drain stays open).

The fun part is that the faucet also can jiggle back closed again on the next bump. It makes for a more complicated debug process ....

Bob
Actually no , I caused all this right in the driveway
but thanks, the pump switch is on my preflight check list.

Bob