Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Lake Orion , Michigan
Black tank only for gray and black water???

I am working on a 65 and have the rear bath out, there is no room for two decent size tanks. I was thinking of only doing a black tank for both types of sewage. On top of the P traps in the shower and sinks I was going to put in a horizontal check valve close to the tank. I was also going to size the waste tank larger than the capacity of my fresh water tank so I never over fill. All opinions and advice are appreciated.
mmollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think you will have trouble with debris clogging the check valves. Which will cause them to leak and allow back flow into areas that you don't want.
Why not keep it simple and use 2 tanks?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My 68 has a 16 gallon black tank that is good for 4 or 5 days before it needs to be dumped. We carry an 18 gallon "blue boy" for grey water if the site has no sewer hook up. Even when we are careful with water usage we fill the 18 gallon tank in about 3 days with just sink and lav. water. You will fill the single combo black/grey tank so fast you will either have to move the trailer to dump it or use a blue boy every day or two, so why not just use a blue boy for grey water? Also, that water is mostly soapy so it is not nasty. Also, If you want to shower you will have enough tank capacity. If we stop for just one night, I put a small bucket under the rear outlet and then dump it into the toilet the next morning.
I too had the thought of combining the tanks but after 6 years of camping in our Airstream, I am very happy I did not try and combine the tanks. If I were redoing the trailer now I'd put in a grey tank but at the time VTS did not have the tanks that fit between the frame rails.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Newport Beach , California
When I had my 1960 Safari I ran into the same problem. I replaced the floor in a hurry and didn't install a grey water tank. I was able to find and install 2-13 gal tanks and tie them together. Not ideal but since my frame had a rail down the center it was the only thing I could do.
WBCCI# 2083
ScottyWed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Lake Orion , Michigan
The area I have to work with where the floor is removed is only 54x27x8. I cant find two tanks 27x27x8. So I figured I could get about a 40+ gallon tank and like a 35 gallon fresh water. The check valve would be above the tank and above the floor.
mmollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I was considering doing the same thing, MM. But as Bruce points out, you will fill a single waste tank much faster, and being full of black water, the only place you can then empty it is a dump station. For my "grey" water, I collect it in a shallow bucket like Bruce does. Since it is mostly pretty clean except for a small amount of soap, you can instead empty it into the nearest sanitary sewer or toilet.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
My 2016 30' FC came with the lav sink dumping into the black tank. That means the black tank fills a lot faster that it did on my 25' FC.
The 'mothership' tells me the purpose is to fill the black tank faster to ensure that it gets properly dumped. Jeez! What are these guys drinking?
They provide a rinse circuit to ensure a cleaned out black tank, then short circuit our length of stay, while boondocking, or at a campground that doesn't have a sewer.
One of our early camps (rally) has no sewage, so do I now have to buy a 'blue boy' or some other 'goofball' tank?
Or take down the parking spot to go to the dump station?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
I am replacing my toilet with composting toilet. No black tank needed.
GiftingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftingGirl View Post
I am replacing my toilet with composting toilet. No black tank needed.
How do you dispose of the urine, which must be separated from the feces for the composting toilet to work?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
Composting toilets separate the liquid and solid. There are a few great airstreamer videos on utube about how to handle. If your traveling it's campground, rest stop, gas station. I am using mine as extra unit in back yard so I will simply dump in the indoor toilet.
GiftingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote