Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Black tank odor when fantastic fan is running

Greetings all,

We are very pleased with our '16 22FB except for one small thing, I've noticed that when the fantastic fan is running there's enough "vacuum" in the rig that sewer gas is pulled back through the toilet when its being flushed. This is even with using Happy Camper and/or Geocleaning methods.

I've been thinking that I could install a small fan on the vent stack to pull "vapours" out thereby preventing sewer gas from flowing back through the toilet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Open a window when fan is running.

Try turning off the fan when flushing the toilet.

TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Flush while your sitting on it...
Bob
🇺🇸

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for observations. Open window is probably the best. I did find the Stank Stack but too complicated. Cheers
Old 06-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Your Fantastic Fan is probably not the problem. Unless you have not followed directions about having a WINDOW open when using the FAN.

Your toilet, after using, opens the slide that drops the goods and the small amount of water down the hatch.

If your sliding seal is not holding water... blame it, not the Fantastic Fan. I doubt if the Fan has Super Powers, mine does not.

Pour some water into the stool... if it drains right away... fix that. If it drains slowly to nothing... same problem. It is leaking water past the sliding gasket that is suppose to hold the water and SEAL the Black Tank gases from entering the interior of your trailer.

The minor weight of the water keeps any vapors from entering the interior of the trailer.

If it holds water and still is noticed. Check the large vent pipe covered by some white thin plywood in an outside corner IN the bathroom. It goes from the floor to the ceiling. Easy to find. Remove the few wood screws and... sniff around.

If this also does not solve the problem, as well. Take a hose, flush the black tank from the inside the trailer, after each trip. Use the Service Station rest rooms as often as possible.

I have other suggestions, but my humor may... stink, as well. Good hunting.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
mcminnville , Oregon
check toilet flange

I have had the problem for five years of a smelling bathroom. Yesterday i took a very close smell around the toilet base and the odor was awful. I took the toilet off and found small gaps in the floor and the toilet flange. Where the two bolt came up to secure the toilet i could see into the tank. Two other bolt holes had gaps in the plate and floor, chalked them all really well. Just slid the bolts back into the chalked slot. Problem solved. Really cant believe it was installed that way or that it took me so long to find it.
pal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshumer995 View Post
Greetings all,

We are very pleased with our '16 22FB except for one small thing, I've noticed that when the fantastic fan is running there's enough "vacuum" in the rig that sewer gas is pulled back through the toilet when its being flushed. This is even with using Happy Camper and/or Geocleaning methods.

I've been thinking that I could install a small fan on the vent stack to pull "vapours" out thereby preventing sewer gas from flowing back through the toilet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Our toilet did the same after this last trip. The rubber on the bottom side appears to deteriorate and is obvious if you take a paper towel and rub the bottom. It will leave black rubber pieces.

I thought I could clean the surface to fix the problem. Could not. The bottom of the rubber seal was not sealing as designed.

The top part appears just fine.

We noticed on this trip the water would seep out. I added a glass of water into the stool... the same. You could hear it drain and made a noise... believe it or not. The local Airstream Dealer said they have the parts on hand and we take it in next month.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
If the toilet is not sealing, the problem is probably the black rubber piece of the valve. My wife changed ours out and said the job was not too hard. The replacement part should be easy to obtain.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Hi
My RR is in the back, my Fantastic fan is in the front, if the fan is in exhaust mode it creates a negative pressure in the trailer drawing everything (smells) into the trailer. A simple solution is to reverse the Fantastic fan and pressurize the trailer instead, your still bringing in cooler outside air from the (fresher) end of the trailer. I close my RR door (it has a bottom gap) and open the little RR fan (don't need to turn it on). So the fresh air comes into the Fantastic fan, into the trailer, across the length of the trailer, under the RR door, up thru the RR, up and out the RR vent, works great, RR smells are pushed outside and not drawn into the trailer. I never use my Fantastic fan in exhaust mode, always in supply mode, what you are after is air-changes, its just a different way of thinking about it.
Happy Travels!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks Ahroc, that's the best suggestion yet.