Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Black tank flush install photos?

I'm considering installing the black tank flush in my 2001 Bambi with an 18gal tank already installed.

Does anyone have any photos of the factory or after-delivery installation of the interior plumbing for the black tank flush, particularly the 1/2in supply and check valve, for a Bambi or Safari (or any other model, for that matter)? Somehow I have misplaced pictures I took of a 2005 Safari showing these items.

Also, does anyone have information on the brand and model of the checkvalve used by Airstream?

Thanks, Marshall
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Straight Flush?

Marshall,

I'll admit I was suprised to see you inquiry; you are the last person I would expect to want to do things "the factory way". You always have such creative solutions that I thought you would do something new and innovative.

I know this isn't an answer to you question, but this is how I am doing it on my '59 Tradewind.

It looks slightly awkward, but I wanted the whole assembly to be self-draining. The check valve is something I picked up at Lowe's. There are two solenoid valves which control the flow to either the blackwater tank, or the graywater tank. The valve at the bottom is a drain valve which will drain through the floor. At the top is the vacuum breaker that came with the tank flusher; I will probably replace it with a regular vac. breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush 002.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	27307  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Mark,
You give me too much credit... Actually I was trying to remember how it was done at the factory since I recall thinking there were several things I would change. The matter of several users finding their pressurized fittings failing and causing a leak inside the trailer is quite troubling.

Thanks for posting your picture. The arrangement is well considered and implemented. Does the checkvalve always have sufficiently low forward fluid flow restriction to allow the vacuum breaker to operate?

I appreciate your quick response.
thanks, Marshall
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Marshall,

I think the vacuum breaker will operate ok as long as it is at least 12" above the source low point.

The check valve has very low restriction and is very lightly sprung. It seals against backflow much better than the checkvalve I got from camping world.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm rethinking my installation pictured above. I remember that you cannot install a valve downstream of a vacuum breaker, so I need to install two vac. breakers past the solenoid valves.

I'm glad I hadn't glued that part on yet.